Daughter getting some chickens

neil3728

For my daughters 8th birthday, she wants some chickens. Now I have no idea on what this involves.

So I though there must be a few members on here who could give me some advice.

She wants them to lay eggs, so how many do I need one of each, or one cock and a few hens.

Also what is a good bred to get.

Also how big a coup do I need, seen a few online for sale but are these any good.

And as astart up what else would I need.

sorry its so many questions, but its her birthday soon and we always try to get her what she wants as her ideas are not usually that expensive, and she is anaimal mad.

Any help you may be anle to offer would be very helpful

If you want Neil pm me your number ill ring you and share my knowledge , I new nothing about chickens 12 months ago but after days reading about breeds strains diseases I'm still no eggs pert but I'm getting 22/24 eggs a week from four warrens aka ( lohmans ) so there obviously happy hens ,,,hope to speak soon atb delburt0...

you don't need a cock unless you want to breed

& in my experience the number of chickens it says you can keep in the coops on the internet if you take one or two off that number

my first coop was supposed to be for 4-6 hens but 4 looked very cramped although probably legal, i built extra run space for them

As mentioned before its all very new to me and tbh its something I am staying out of. My wife is the animal mad one.

I fear I might even end up with some sort of small holding, we already own horses a dog and the biggest rabbit i've ever seen.

Add chickens to that and there is no way of telling where its going to end.

thank you for the kind offer delburt0, i've let the mrs know, if she needs any help I'll be in contact.

If they are pets / egg layers I would not buy hybrids. These will lay like mad for a couple of years and then fall off their perch.

If she wants to handle the birds, consider pekins. These are smaller birds and can be easily hand tamed. Their eggs are smaller and they wont lay as many eggs as some breeds but lay well enough. Being smaller you can get more hens in a coop.

Then theres egg colour - you can get dark brown, blue, pink, olive coloured eggs with different breeds / cross breeds.

As said before, you dont need a cock for egg laying but they do keep a larger flock in order. You do have the crowing issue and an extra non egg laying mouth to feed.

Take into consideration how much they carp and how youre gonna get rid of it, (when you clean the coop out fer instance)

Layers pellets have doubled in price in the last few years, last bag I bought was over £9 for 20kg

You will attract the local rowlands, keep food in a metal container if possible,

they drink a suprising amount, they'll need food, grit, sawdust in the coop (makes cleaning easier) straw in nest boxes, they'll ruin a garden if left to freerange

We have re-homers, ie., ex cage hens. Commercially they are called at 12 months but from one of the rest-homing trust you can get as many as you like free of charge except a voluntary contribution. I started with 4 and was averaging 3 eggs per day. It's down to 2 per day and we plan to get some more this spring. Great to see them re-feather and get use to the freedom from a cage. Strange to see them standing in the rain first time wondering what's going on. They learn very quickly. No need for straw bedding. Shredded free newspaper work well for bedding. If you go for layer pellets you can get them for £8 for 25 kg. 1 sack lasts about 2 months, so much cheaper than buying eggs. If you can get hold of old timber pallets you can knock them apart and make a coup for a few quid.

Enjoy your good life. :good:

I have just bought a dozen cream legbar eggs of the bay i have old english game running around and all the do is fight someone gave me a legbar cock and i put it with a game hen and she now lays blue eggs the grankids love it so i bought a dozen eggs to go in the incubator watch this space

Here's a few things you might want to consider

- hybrids do stop laying after a couple of years; but for a 8-year-old they'd be easy to pick up, and they do lay eggs solidly

- you need a house (ideally one on legs to make it less likely you get rats underneath, and as said before they take fewer hens than advertised), a feed bin, water container, feeder, red mite stuff, wormer, shavings/straw ideally

- and they like corn

• 2 weeks later...

They also eat any green things they see so careful of the lawn or wherever u out them, and watch out for any poo as once its on your hand I swear it doewnt come off for weeks.

Good creatures to keep but you get fed up of eggs after a while unless you can sell them as we used to

Well we finally got 3 hens, Ginger something or other, seem friendley enough.

I don't have to worry about the poo as it won't be me cleaning them out, that a job for the Mrs.

They are in an area of the garden that they can do what they want with, eat all the grass down to the soil if they feel the need.

No eggs yet, they are too young or so i'm told.

Well we finally got 3 hens, Ginger something or other, seem friendley enough.

I don't have to worry about the poo as it won't be me cleaning them out, that a job for the Mrs.

They are in an area of the garden that they can do what they want with, eat all the grass down to the soil if they feel the need.

No eggs yet, they are too young or so i'm told.

Do you know how old they are ?

They should come Into lay at anytime between 16 and 24ish weeks. I have found most of mine have come into lay around 20 weeks old.

They will eat all the grass, And they will not stop there. They love digging!

Any veg pealing from the house can be boiled up and Given to them. Same with Rice, Pasta, No need for left overs to go in the Bin.

They are around 21 weeks, old from what I was told.

I went to pick them up and so ended any involvement I have with them, they are now the Mrs and Kids problems.

Should come into Lay in the next few weeks then.,

You will really enjoy there eggs

• 4 weeks later...

I have 4 hens, the wife hates them as they are messy, but I have a corner of the garden behind the sheds......1 french maran and 3 warrens......get 3 eggs a day.......I eat loads of eggs....it improves muscular development.....my 7 year old daughter loves hens and eggs too.

I would advise setting some rat traps near the hens as they are a magnet for rats........better a fenn trap in a box tunnel than rats and a panicked wife/neighbours/council official

Good luck