Aircraft Spotting.

bluejay22

We`ve been enjoying some very nice weather here for a few days now, crystal clear blue skies if a little cold. Anyway, i have a 8" newt reflector telescope and for a bit of a lark i trained in on the high flying jets that pass overhead. Well, after a bit of jiggling trying to keep the jet in the eyepiece i was mightily impressed with the view. You could read "British Airways", "Air France" and KLM etc.So all good stuff. Then i thought with the internet and all perhaps there would be a resource somewhere that might provide an ident on the jets. Flightradar24.com take a bow. Realtime GPS transponders on board the aircraft tells you where it is over the globe.I zoom into my area and can identify the planes, where they are going and where they came from. I even noticed if you click on a moving plane a picture of that plane comes up, not one like it but that planes registration. :yes: As we don`t get too many clear blue skies, even in summer, i don`t suppose i`ll be spending much time at it but it was very interesting seeing how technology educates us all more and more.

PS Even at 30,000 odd feet those Airbus 380`s are enormous.