HW35 .22 issues

jai_landrover

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

be careful with all the tuning parts!!

had my old one tuned in the 80's to 11.5 and the barrel shortened.

the spring broke in the nineties and i had it replaced in a local

shop with what they said was a "good" spring. i used it for years on

the sparrows on the house (yrs ago!!) and was wondering why it

was turning them inside out.......lent it to a mate who had it chrono'd.

damn thing was pushing 28ft lb with eley wasp! no wonder the rabbits were thinning out :shoot:

had to get it signed onto a fac :(

You had a springer with short barrel pushing out 28 ftlb ? Was the crony faulty or something

On the hunt for a second piston assy. My old man has just tuned up a new piston assy for his B2 thingy its out of Ali and steel saved something like a third of its weight but we had std seals which are expensive and horrible compared to a few o rings. I'm sure I can get way more stroke and use a double o ring instead on a modified piston assy. I cant fault accuracy I just been out putting pellets through it and cut 2 out of 3 dandelions in half only 10 meters but the gun has zero kick to it which is lovely but I fear if im not hitting 10/11ft lbs then rabbits and pigeons will just laugh at it.

Edited by jai_landrover

You had a springer with short barrel pushing out 28 ftlb ? Was the crony faulty or something

not faulty at all.

was a bit evil on the recoil and even started to deform the hollow recoil stud mounted behind the

1 piece mount.nothing left of an eley wasp when fired at a wall at 15yards except scattered bits!

what spring they fitted i dont know. shortening a barrel will if anything increase the fps as the pressure does

not die down as much as having the pellet travel a longer barrel.

On the hunt for a second piston assy. My old man has just tuned up a new piston assy for his B2 thingy its out of Ali and steel saved something like a third of its weight but we had std seals which are expensive and horrible compared to a few o rings. I'm sure I can get way more stroke and use a double o ring instead on a modified piston assy. I cant fault accuracy I just been out putting pellets through it and cut 2 out of 3 dandelions in half only 10 meters but the gun has zero kick to it which is lovely but I fear if im not hitting 10/11ft lbs then rabbits and pigeons will just laugh at it.

Hello Jai

An aluminium piston wouldn't be much good to improve power as weights are added to up the power and can be removed to lower it...

I have an 80 that was awful to shoot, the recoil was so bad that it felt like I was getting electric shocks in my hands! :/

When I opened it up an Ox spring had been fitted which had a heck of a lot of preload, I removed all of it and warmed/collapsed the last coil then ground and dressed the end- it turned the rifle from an 'orrible beast into something smoother than a ladies inner thigh :whistling:

Cheers, John :)

Cheers John,

The Ali steel piston is purely a try out. I have got a second piston although the older leather type will compare to my piston assy.

Will then machine off the piston head and make a new head with double O ring and increase its stroke as much as possible. Again as angry out. Have the old mans lathe and milling machine so seems like a bit of fun. I can't find anything fundamentally wrong with the gun cylinder is airtight, piston seal holds good pressure new breech checked or leaks and the max ingot with 14.5 Gr pellets was 9 Lbs feet. Still running the piston in o bed in but has had a hundred through it so will re chrono it later. I think an O ring piston is the way forward.

I understand the twangy mess you describe I had that with all the spacers fitted and you can't hit a barn door now it's lovely and accurate with almost zero recoil just a few more lbs ft req before safe quarry kills.

Cheers John,

The Ali steel piston is purely a try out. I have got a second piston although the older leather type will compare to my piston assy.

Will then machine off the piston head and make a new head with double O ring and increase its stroke as much as possible. Again as angry out. Have the old mans lathe and milling machine so seems like a bit of fun. I can't find anything fundamentally wrong with the gun cylinder is airtight, piston seal holds good pressure new breech checked or leaks and the max ingot with 14.5 Gr pellets was 9 Lbs feet. Still running the piston in o bed in but has had a hundred through it so will re chrono it later. I think an O ring piston is the way forward.

I understand the twangy mess you describe I had that with all the spacers fitted and you can't hit a barn door now it's lovely and accurate with almost zero recoil just a few more lbs ft req before safe quarry kills.

Ok more info I got a second hand old type leather piston complete from Ebay. The differences are the piston has a shorter stroke mainly due to the whole assembly being approx 6mm longer. I have just fitted and tried it as std and getting around 4ft lbs. there is also a difference in weight the new type with synthetic seal weighs in at 201g whereas the older leather type weighs in at 229g.

photo3xlt.jpgUploaded with ImageShack.us

To set my mind at ease my uncle has a PCP and we checked it with the chrono and it was bang on 11.7ft lbs so I know the Chrono is working.

I think the next step forward is to use the leather type piston and modify it as its no use to me at 4Ft/lbs.

I have a couple of O rings and will machine the end off the leather piston and weld in a new piston head giving maximum stroke and using an O ring. The question i'm now debating in my head is a single O ring or double with a 3mm gap between. The later may mean that I can not get much more cylinder volume. Any ideas or anyone with experience would be appreciated. I may well just make it one for now and see how it goes. still deciding....................

J

Edited by jai_landrover

Yes I have some nylon blocks I turn down but think Ali would be better. As it happens I unscrewed the seal after I posted and will indeed make several piston ends double and single o rings to try I'm in London today so may e able o pick up more material to play with. Lots of people mention limiting stroke to keep within the legal limit and I will not destroy the piston if I can get up close to the limit without having to re work it.

Buttoning seems like a cleaver idea one which would be nice eventually the main thing is keeping it nice to shoot while getting 11.5 ft lbs or as close to 12 as possible with my chosen pellets yet to be decided. Been using pax guns own brand and had good results. I have no intention on getting 15 ft lbs and having a twangy mess to try and shoot.

On a side note I'm quite happy as I tried rabbit yesterday for the first time all day in the slow cooker with loadsa stew and its just a variation on chicken which means I'm not wasting my time. The idea of getting the gun sorted is for a weekend away Offroad driving and only eating what you catch farmers permission beforehand of course as a kind of survival/green lane driving somewhere remote. Being totally self sufficient except vehicle fuel and water. Next stage is getting the gun up to power and then more practice at the range, eventually a rabbit or two and gutting and skinning.

Slow as it might be we're getting there slowly!!

J