chokes for clays

RobC1990

In my opinion yes.

for my clay guns I have skeet and light modified chokes, use light mod for pretty much everything except close stuff then I'll swap to skeet.

personally very rarely use anything tighter for sporting clays.

its all about having confidence in what you're using

yes but beware of fast going away targets, such as teal the gaps in the pattern are unreal at 40yrds, just pattern plate it, having said that i was itching to change to 3/4 choke on a teal but as the second bird was closer i switched the selector over so it fired the 1/2 choke first all was good as got them all, i pattern plated at 30 yds on 1/4 choke and you would not believe the gaps, fine for crossers but not edge on going away fast, hence most trap guns are 3/4 -full

sounds like a good set up, but you don't have to fire the bottom barrel first , look at the target and select which barrel to use first, you've got the land Robert go get a piece of card and fire at 30 yrds your std cartridge and see howe many gaps are in the pattern, sometimes if you have the feeling that you have not got the chokes right, you will miss anyway as your confidence is not right, if thats the case, change to the one you think, like i said pattern plate at 30 yds with each of your chokes and see if a clays can pass through it, most pattern plating is done at 25 yrds to establish pattern but the reality is most clays are at 30-40 yds, crossers are different as they have the shot stream (length of the pattern) to contend with but edge on stuff will fly straight through it, i bought a M/C gun as could not hit DTL targets 1st barrel but creamed them second shot my gun was 1/4, 3/4, varying shot size also helps on close targets particularly , consider getting some 9 shot

ATB

Richard

Yeah I will try that the clays I shoot are no further than 40yrds! just one club I shoot 24g 7.5 steel and other I shoot 28g 7.5 shoot fibre I will check the patterns this week sometime! but most people use improved cylinder & modified with lead shot but I was thinking for steel shot to open the pattern a bit!