need career advice!

hi, ive been doing apprenticeship work an an estate for the past 1 and a half years and im enjoying it less and less, i dont think i want to do this as a career. i don't like the long hours, working weekends and the low pay. im wanting to find out if there is any other similar jobs. i have been thinking about pest control for a while but i dont know how hard it is to get into (training etc) i have high school education but didnt go to college or uni, im 18 years old and i want to choose a career path before its too late! any answers and help would be much appreciated. thankyou.

sack it off game keepers do it for love of out side and job not the cash its a garbage job most of time and mega long hrs feeding up go get a trade sparky , plumber something like work self employed you will be miles richer if you keep of the bitches , gambling ,and fire water ie drink hope you pick right path to follow young"en

thanks for the answers guys but does anybody know about the pest control side of things? what u need to get into it etc?

Plenty of info on the net about pest controllers,but from memory there have been numorous posts on this subject,not easy to get into and mainly dealing with bugs.

If i were you i would look at getting into plumbing/heating engineer as its a trade that earns money,then you can kill pests in your leisure time,if you are willing to get the range rover muddy.

Hello mate. One thing to remember is that whatever job you do in your life, depending on how long you do it for, is that at some stage you will probably end up being sick to death of it. That is a fact of life. I have been a Joiner for 32years now and i'm still at it. It pays my bills, mortgage etc so i get on with it but i don't enjoy it like i used to but the way i see it i'm lucky to be working and i think of the people who are not so fortunate.

Due to the present economic climate i would'nt recommend anything in the construction industry. The vast majority of posts available for tradesmen are via agencies so you can find yourself in work one day and then not the next. However that applies to most jobs these days. Not good :no:

Years ago getting an apprenticeship and becoming a tradesman was a good way to go. Thats why i did it.

My advice would be, that if you want some sort of long term security then get a job in IT and being prepared to start at the bottom and working your way up. Might not be your cup of tea and certainly would'nt be mine at my age but remember you're only 18 years of age with your whole life ahead of you.

Bear in mind as well is that some people would give their right hand to be in your position and despite the long hours and low pay etc being able to work outdoors and so close to nature would fulfill a lot of peoples wishes.

There are various courses and jobs available in pest control although a lot through franchises. However remember also that its not a glamour job and there will be times when you will find yourself in some pretty discusting situations :sick:

I'm not trying to put you off if thats the avenue of work you fancy but the grass is not always greener on the other side so don't make any rash decisions and just pack your current job in. Hope this helps. Good luck with any career move you make and best wishes for your future :good:

ATB,

Pat

Hello mate. One thing to remember is that whatever job you do in your life, depending on how long you do it for, is that at some stage you will probably end up being sick to death of it. That is a fact of life. I have been a Joiner for 32years now and i'm still at it. It pays my bills, mortgage etc so i get on with it but i don't enjoy it like i used to but the way i see it i'm lucky to be working and i think of the people who are not so fortunate.

Due to the present economic climate i would'nt recommend anything in the construction industry. The vast majority of posts available for tradesmen are via agencies so you can find yourself in work one day and then not the next. However that applies to most jobs these days. Not good :no:

Years ago getting an apprenticeship and becoming a tradesman was a good way to go. Thats why i did it.

My advice would be, that if you want some sort of long term security then get a job in IT and being prepared to start at the bottom and working your way up. Might not be your cup of tea and certainly would'nt be mine at my age but remember you're only 18 years of age with your whole life ahead of you.

Bear in mind as well is that some people would give their right hand to be in your position and despite the long hours and low pay etc being able to work outdoors and so close to nature would fulfill a lot of peoples wishes.

There are various courses and jobs available in pest control although a lot through franchises. However remember also that its not a glamour job and there will be times when you will find yourself in some pretty discusting situations :sick:

I'm not trying to put you off if thats the avenue of work you fancy but the grass is not always greener on the other side so don't make any rash decisions and just pack your current job in. Hope this helps. Good luck with any career move you make and best wishes for your future :good:

ATB,

Pat

Great advice right there.

If you are fit, have an aptitude for work and a brain there are plenty of options open to you. I would complete the current course if you can ( how long left?) education and skills are key, with those you can transition between roles, the trade for life is dying I doubt this will be your only career change!

Edited by HDAV

Someone said that you're far too young to be worrying about such matters but I disagree.

As I see it, you're at the ideal age to start making a career plan or at least gaining experiences and training that may well prove to be useful to you later on.

You're talking about working in vermin control and game keeping has also come up. Both jobs have attractions but neither give much financial return or opportunities to advance your career as you get older.

My point is that at your age, nothing whatsoever is impossible. Although society will often have you believe otherwise the truth is the world is your oyster and you never know where life will lead you.

As an example, I grew up in Kent, got an apprenticeship, became an electrician then got a job with an airline and then by some bizarre twist of fate ended up as a Professional hunter in Africa and worked in the safari industry for 30 odd years. I have operated in something like seven African countries and have written a book about how someone from outside Africa can work at the highest possible level of the safari business. One reviewer called it the best training manual for PHs ever written.

I'm as average as they come but if I can do it then so can you so don't let anyone tell you that you're too young, too stupid or too uneducated to achieve whatever you want. If you're prepared to work hard and be single minded then nothing is impossible.

In closing. Read this:

http://www.blupete.c...y/KiplingIf.htm

Edited by shakari

I'm probably the wrong person to give any kind of careers advice, but one thing I would say is network as much as you can. Let as many people as possible know what you passion is. You'll find people introducing you at pubs 'hey this guy is interested in pest control as well' etc. And when people hear about opportunity you are the person that comes to mind.

There's a bandwagon well and truly rolling with more associations to join than a double glazing salesman. However, as you don't give a location, have a search for the British Traditional Molecatchers Register. Search for your area and if your location is not swamped, there's a money spinner - not necessarily permanent but a good earner while you get sorted. There's a guild, etc, etc, and some offer courses if required.

Have you ever thought about the Army? my grandson joined at 17yrs old. He is in the Engineers and out in Afghan at the moment and says there are plenty of pests over there need controlling.

Seriously if you like the outdoors and shooting, and the army has lots of opportunities to get a trade, the monies good aswell. have a walk down the recruitment office and get some info.

I got into pest control about 8 yrs ago, depending on what firm you go with will depend what you end up doing, but lots of people wanting to get into it, only see the fun stuff, and not the everyday stuff, you'll definitely need a full UK driving licence, so if you ain't got that, get one.

starting pay is normally between 16k to 19k depending on skills, most day techs I know earn around 21k, although bonuses can be earnt from leads and follow ups, daily stuff can be mostly, bed bugs,ants,cockroaches,mice and rats

then you have divisions classed as bird work, putting up spikes,netting etc, that is good to get into, as its normally more money, you'll get trained for access towers,mobile platforms,cherry pickers etc, and most firms will send you to do your BPCA in pest control, its the basic foot in the door certification,

sometimes you'll strike it lucky and get with the right firm straight away, I work nights only, and mainly only do mice,rats and pigeons, along with bird work and shooting, on 27k a year

lots of pesties do change jobs quickly until they find a good one,

http://www.pestcontrolportal.com/

heres a website that advertizes pest control jobs,

Looking in my local paper, theres no end of pest controllers advertising their services, so i wouldnt bother with that. Its extremely rare people end up doing a job they love. Most people go for a job because the moneys good and its something they dont mind doing.

Personally if I was your age now, id be looking at solicitor, lawyer, accountant or if your more trade minded, then definitely plumber, sparky, plasterer or that kind of thing. Every single person I know who is one a tradesman has work coming out of their ears and earns miles more money than most office based guys I know.

As an example, i had a guy quote me £5000 for a new boiler fitted the other year, he was fully booked for 2 months! I knew the boiler costs only £800 so thats a lot of money for what he said would be 4 days work. Another guy quoted me £600 to plaster a small room. Materials came to £50 and he said it would be about 1 days work. My sparky is cheap and charged me £300 to replace a consumer unit. Nice straight forward job which took him about 5 hours including lots of breaks.

I made the mistake of thinking computers were the way forward as I liked working on them. Went to uni, got a degree etc.. spent ages studying whilst my mate went off at 15 and became a plasterer. By the time I left uni at 22, he already had his own house & car. I had massive debts from fees. By then every man & his dog thought there were money in computers, so you had plumbers, builders, mechanics all jumping on the computer band wagon. Result was no spare jobs. I ended up working in call centres for 12k a year until finally getting a job in computers, by which time the bubble bust and everyone was made redundant. All those plumbers & mechanics who jumped on the band wagon went back to their trades, and those computer geeks like me ended up having to do labouring work for £50 a day on local building sites. My mate who was a plasterer was laughing his head off. He`s never been short of work and even now is still racking it in.

Personally if I was your age now, id be looking at solicitor, lawyer, accountant

By the time I left uni at 22, I had massive debts from fees.

so maybe not a good thing to recommend something that will take a few years to learn

I spend my life working in the building trade, and on building sites, earning quite large wages, the arrival of eastern europeans that will work for peanuts, put a stop to that, so I re trained as a pesty, yes slightly less money, but every job is different, and a good 40% involves shooting, I'd say, look for a job you will enjoy, who wants to be the richest man in the graveyard

Personally i think apprentiships are the way forward. I got mine at 18 doing engineering at a large pharmaceutical company. I have been there 5 1/2 years now and am still enjoying the work, and earning enough to buy my first house at 22 and fund a bad car / bike / gun habit.

There has been a lot of redundancies lately, but the trained guys who have left have not had any trouble walking into other jobs.

Getting the experience and training is key :good:

I would say if you can stick out your current apprentiship get that out of the way first to help build up your CV and experience if nothing else, you can always do another one afterwoulds :)

I would say if you can stick out your current apprentiship get that out of the way first to help build up your CV and experience if nothing else, you can always do another one afterwoulds :)

Good advice, I did a lower level apprentiship at the same place, but hated the job, however I stuck with it until I finished and that experience got me a job I enjoy (had to train up again but worth it), so don't quite half way through!