Firefighters on PW

JimLondon

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not one myself but have friends and a relative who are.

Now, great set of lads, but I really really do not think they realise how good they have it, they moan about the job all the time! The main thing I pick up on straight away is there seems to be this corrosive us and them attitude between the firefighters and the management. Not good. They seem to have a militant mind set stuck in the 1970's.

Is this kind of thing prevalent countrywide ?

Get ZS at the station don't you

Not on days pal too busy fitting letterbox locks and smoke alarms for the JK generation. :whistling:

Quick question for you, who would you rather have turn up, if God forbid your house was on fire at 3:30 am, a team of firefighters rested & alert or firefighters tired and grouchy from lack of sleep? :hmm:

You have some sort of scheme with the postmen?

:lol: An initiative from our arson reduction team. Metal letterbox cover that fits inside the door and locks to prevent anything being stuffed through the door. We fit them for people who have been threatened with an arson attack.

Edited by Logo

Not on days pal too busy fitting letterbox locks and smoke alarms for the JK generation. :whistling:

Quick question for you, who would you rather have turn up, if God forbid your house was on fire at 3:30 am, a team of firefighters rested & alert or firefighters tired and grouchy from lack of sleep? :hmm:

Was a joke mate ,very high respect for the service worked along side them and a very close mate runs a shift no harm ment appologise fully I up set you

Playing devels advocate but if i need the police or ambulance i would also want them fully alert but how many police an ambulance would we need to have them sleeping during the night?

Playing devels advocate but if i need the police or ambulance i would also want them fully alert but how many police an ambulance would we need to have them sleeping during the night?

The issue of firefighters sleeping on nights has always been a contenous one, and I'm sure things will change in the future but as things stand its a condition of service that firefighters have a stand down period between midnight and 06.40 the reason being was that we worked 15 hour night shifts as opposed to an 8 hour shift the police were on. (I do realise that shift times have changed)

Now I know some people work long shifts without the benefit of getting some sleep during their shift but then they don't have to risk their lives on a regular basis or deal with the devastation that a fire can bring to the people involved, I have seen to often people having been rescued or escaped a fire stand helplessly whilst their loved ones perished inside a burning building, not a nice thing to witness.

As a stated earlier things will changed,beds will go,more cuts will be made and more lives will be lost.

But in the meantime firefighters both serving and retired really do appreciate the public support we get from you guys.

ATB

Jim