oh god i know nothing.

bikemad24

Right please dont take the **** but i have a couple of questions especially for people who own a 17 hmr. im waiting for my licence to drop through the letterbox but the fao have told me its been granted. so iv bought a cz 17hmr c/w 20" barrel moderator and hawke endurance 2.5 x 10 x 56 scope.

my question is the scope has 1/4 moa but what does that mean? for example if the bullet drops 2" at 200 yards roughly how many "clicks" up do i go?

the scope has no mildots on it but i cant work them out either even if it did.

if iv been shooting around the farm with a 22 rimfire and if a rabbit is quite far away i just guess the hold over and usually miss every time.

cheers

1/4" Minute of Angle. At 100 yards each click will move the point of impact 1/4" in whatever direction you adjust it. So 1/8" at 50 yards, 1/16" at 25 yards etc.

So if you are 1/2" low at 100 yards, two clicks up to adjust should get you back on target.

If your bullet is dropping 2 inches at 200 yards then with a 1/4" MOA adjuster on your scope you should adjust it up 4 clicks and that should put you back on target.

What Wharf Rat has said is spot on at distances below 100 yards - At 200 yards one click will alter a 1/4 inch MOA adjustable scopes POI by a 1/2 inch.

The 1/4 " MOA is calibrated "per click" to adjust the scope by 1/4 inch at 100 yards so at distances different to that you need to work things out.

1 click at 25 yards = 1/16"

1 click at 50 yards = 1/8 "

1 click at 100 yards = 1/4"

1 click at 200 yards = 1/2 inch.

With a .17 HMR I couldn't see you wanting to take on any live quarry beyond 200 yards.

Hope this helps!

download the hawke brc calculator from the hawke website dial in the guns specs and you wont be far away also get a 1/2 mil dot scope for the .22 use the results from the calculator practice on targets and you will get alot more from the .22,as for the .17 thats flat to about 125yds

its really that simple cheers wharf rat :good:

Yes. The only problem is repeatability. With any of the top of the range scopes costing mega bucks, you could rely upon it but you're probably going to find that your set zero will wander off and you'll need to check/adjust on a frequency basis. I think you're better off without the mil dots unless you have the appropriate focal plane.

Me, I'd be inclined to leave the setting on the zero and by practice at various ranges get to learn the hold over. You can't adjust the scope properly until you can accurately judge the range. If you know the range and where the gun will shoot, why adjust the scope where repeatability is going to be suspect. Back in the day, this was called learning to shoot.

'We do precision guesswork'

Me, I'd be inclined to leave the setting on the zero and by practice at various ranges get to learn the hold over. You can't adjust the scope properly until you can accurately judge the range. If you know the range and where the gun will shoot, why adjust the scope where repeatability is going to be suspect. Back in the day, this was called learning to shoot.

'We do precision guesswork'

Well put! :good:

if iv been shooting around the farm with a 22 rimfire and if a rabbit is quite far away i just guess the hold over and usually miss every time.

cheers

my rimmy is set up for 60yds, anything I think is further away, say 80yds, the crosshairs go level with top of his head, normally does the trick, anything further I dont even bother aiming at, who wants to walk further for a rabbit