Doomsday preppers

IXI KARL IXI

Does anyone watch it? I watched all the first season and now catching up on the second. It's crazy the lengths people go to on the show. Just watched one where the couple keep a minimum 4000 bullets in most cals. It strange watching it in regards to gun as well, people on the show have hand guns in a draw or on a shelf behind a book also shotguns just dotted about the home not locked up. The money people spend as well is crazy (IMO) seen a couple who had at least 75000 dollars in food and meds. If you don't watch I would recommend watching it at least once. Was wondering if anyone preps or has thought about? It doesn't seem to be that big in the uk at the moment

I must admit, i do watch them........ if i cant find anything better, :lol: You might think they,r crazy, But like they say, when the brown stuff hits the fan, Who,s gonna be crazy then? So i think they have a point, even if some of them look like nut cases. :lol:

Does anyone watch it? I watched all the first season and now catching up on the second. It's crazy the lengths people go to on the show. Just watched one where the couple keep a minimum 4000 bullets in most cals. It strange watching it in regards to gun as well, people on the show have hand guns in a draw or on a shelf behind a book also shotguns just dotted about the home not locked up. The money people spend as well is crazy (IMO) seen a couple who had at least 75000 dollars in food and meds. If you don't watch I would recommend watching it at least once. Was wondering if anyone preps or has thought about? It doesn't seem to be that big in the uk at the moment

When the S hits the fan society will break down so totally that having guns and a stash of food will just make you a big target. Do you imagine the starving neighbours will allow to just live in peace while they watched their kids die?.

No matter how many guns you have you can't defend your house against a hungry mob who will have guns too.

The only ones who might stand a chance are those who have dug hideaways in very remote areas but even then people will know they are there.

In Britain we stand no chance, we only have food for about two days in the shops, on day three the riots will break out all over Britain, shops will be looted first, then they will start on houses looking for food.

The lights will go off because workers won't turn up for work, so will the water, and all the mobile phone sytems will go off because that is Government policy to stop the rioters communicating. Farmers fields will be stripped of everything that be killed or carried off.

Then what?

Edited by Vince Green

seen one or two, its crazy... i think the uk is behind the usa but they do it here, there was a show on a couple of months ago about uk preppers

I am going to have a look online for it see if I can download it, would be good to watch

I must admit, i do watch them........ if i cant find anything better, :lol: You might think they,r crazy, But like they say, when the brown stuff hits the fan, Who,s gonna be crazy then? So i think they have a point, even if some of them look like nut cases. :lol:

Yeah they do have the right idea because if anything happens then they are going to be sorted and in a better position then me. I just find the lengths they go to is crazy, but I guess it's boarder line crazy and genius :)

When the S hits the fan society will break down so totally that having guns and a stash of food will just make you a big target. Do you imagine the starving neighbours will allow to just live in peace while they watched their kids die?.

No matter how many guns you have you can't defend your house against a hungry mob who will have guns too.

The only ones who might stand a chance are those who have dug hideaways in very remote areas but even then people will know they are there.

In Britain we stand no chance, we only have food for about two days in the shops, on day three the riots will break out all over Britain, shops will be looted first, then they will start on houses looking for food.

The lights will go off because workers won't turn up for work, so will the water, and all the mobile phone sytems will go off because that is Government policy to stop the rioters communicating. Farmers fields will be stripped of everything that be killed or carried off.

Then what?

I think the best plans are the one where they head for the hills so to speak. Your right as soon as someone sees or thinks you have food you would have different mobs attacking the house everyday.

Got it on series link for rainy days,i think if i were to be a prepper the last thing i would do is to declare it to all on a tv programme lol,think best plan would be to try to keep a low profile so like vince said above you don't become a target

Yeah nothing like painting a big target on your back by showing off your huge food,weapon and meds supply. I would keep it quite if I was hoarding that much stuff.

I must admit I have considered things that I wouldn't of thought about before. I mean I bought a springer rifle with this in mind (and for the fun), I mean what happened the other year with the riots goes to show some areas are on a knife edge. Now with benefits being cut and the likes its making for a un easy time IMHO. Now all I need is 50 acres of woodland and some shipping containers :)

They have a point albeit I think they going to extremes. This months Popular Mechanics (American Magazine) has an article about surviving a natural disaster in the wake of Hurricane Sandy with utilities going down. There was an article in the Telegraph about the UK energy policy and the inadequate investment in our power infrastructure which will lead to blackouts in the near future, in addition 30,000 people will die in the UK of cold this winter in part due to rising energy cost because of the stupid climate change theory which is taxing carbon.

After watching the show I did think what would I do if the lights went out on a power cut even for a couple of days. Apart from a few torches scattered about I had nothing. So I bought a plastic tub in Ikea and filled it with a couple of torches, a blister pack of batteries, bulk supply of matches and a pile of candles with holders for them. So now if the lights go out I bring out the box and we have light.

Under the stairs I have a food store with dry goods & long life milk that I buy in bulk from Costco. I use them up and replenish them.

I have a woodburner as an alternative heat source. In the 27 houses on the estate only 2 of us have real fires which means if the electricity goes off none of my neighbours can heat their homes.

Lastly I have a full bottle of propane for the bbq so I can cook.

The wife teases me about being a "prepper" but I just like to have a plan B. I think their is a very realistic chance of a power cut or an interruption of the gas supply so I don't want to get caught out. The average household only has a few days worth of food at home, I don't :-)

Now polar shifts, breakdown of society, a massive meteor hitting the earth or an invasion by Aliens I am a little bit more sceptical about.....

Edited by Laird Lugton

Then what?

Indeed - loads of people don't have enough provisions in their homes to last them more than a few days. EVERYONE should have some basic preparation for disasters - by having at least a week supply of dry provisions, a first aid kit, a portable radio with batteries (or even better, a wind-up one), and a flashlight/torch.

I am going to have a look online for it see if I can download it, would be good to watch

Yeah they do have the right idea because if anything happens then they are going to be sorted and in a better position then me. I just find the lengths they go to is crazy, but I guess it's boarder line crazy and genius :)

I think the best plans are the one where they head for the hills so to speak. Your right as soon as someone sees or thinks you have food you would have different mobs attacking the house everyday.

Yeah nothing like painting a big target on your back by showing off your huge food,weapon and meds supply. I would keep it quite if I was hoarding that much stuff.

I must admit I have considered things that I wouldn't of thought about before. I mean I bought a springer rifle with this in mind (and for the fun), I mean what happened the other year with the riots goes to show some areas are on a knife edge. Now with benefits being cut and the likes its making for a un easy time IMHO. Now all I need is 50 acres of woodland and some shipping containers :)

Whilst being prepared is a good thing, I don't think we are on a knife edge by any means. The riots were just an excuse. Without going off topic, we don't have too bad a time in this country compared to some.

yeh look at the poor peeps in scotland n ireland cut off for days by snow drifts no power ,bread milk etc.we got torches candles tinned food etc.my father in law got generators wired up to invertor batterys can run his house for 30 hours b4 recharge.and yes he has used em when theres power cuts .funny people asking why your lights on and im in the dark.he, laughs at em

Whilst being prepared is a good thing, I don't think we are on a knife edge by any means. The riots were just an excuse. Without going off topic, we don't have too bad a time in this country compared to some.

While we're not on a socio-political knife edge, we could be struck by natural disaster, or possibly even a widespread terrorist attack (think dirty bomb). I can assure you there are contingency plans in place by the government for such situations, and they do not include helping 100% of the population - not even close.

I think I should have worded the riots bit better, sorry. I had meant just short term like being hauled up in the house for a few days not being able to get to shops or no shops open sort of thing rather than a wide spread social disorder. Again sorry I should have been clearer.

I like the idea of box of candles and torches. Am going to get myself a box a use that Idea. I have a couple of torches and candles dotted about but not enough for a power cut. It's a good point about the weather, my area wasn't hit at all, it was cold but nothing bad. My mam and dad have a wood burner so think a trip to there's would be in order. My house is a new build and doesn't have a fire place so its not a option, also the meters are prepayment so if the shop shut am screw for gas and electric.

A few years ago (before mobile phones were common) around me we had the really wet heavy snow that settled on telephone and electricity wires and brought them all down. This also meant the supply to the water pumping station was lost.

One minute everything was normal, not long later we had no power/lights, no water, as you said gas CH is no good either and no phones. Quite weird to be thrown back in time like that. Ok now days most people have mobiles but you only have to think to how the networks overload on say new years eve to see how vunerable they are.

Ever since then I have tried to keep a few days supply of food and water always in stock.

'Bugging in' is much safer than 'Bugging out' in the short term.... For starters, where would you go... really!? Unless you are lucky, you will be trespassing on someones land and that assumes you can get there.. if something significant happened then it wouldn't just be you on the road bugging out to nowhere, it would be everyone... you would get snarled up in gridlock and get nowhere..

Far better to sit tight for 2-3 weeks and *then* if there is no return to normality, consider bugging out otherwise, as has already been said, and particularly if you have been sensible and are well provisioned, you will just become a target..

99.9% of the events you need to prepare for will be short lived.. power cuts, freak weather, fuel shortages... you don't need to get all paranoid and plan for the apocalypse!

I recon 2-3 weeks worth of food & water (don't underestimate your water needs... if I go stalking I go for 3 days and camp in the forest, I take three 5L tubs of water and none comes back and that is rationing it too! I noted on one of the shows that the average American uses 100 GALLONS of water PER DAY!) Light of some description, some form of heat and the ability to heat food. If you want to be really sensible, have some method of sterilising water as well as storing in bulk and have a plan for sanitation (if the water goes off and you can't flush the loo, things will get smelly and potentially dangerous quite quickly!) As I say 2-3 week should be ample for anything but a doomsday scenario, after that well it is on to plan B

At first I thought "these people are paranoid nutters" but I have to admit in the back of my mind I think, how prepaired would I be, not very is the answer.

Most of the ones shown on the show are 'paranoid nutters' after all, it would be very dull TV if these people were all sensible 'boy scout' types who are, like most of us just trying to ensure we have a 'plan B!'

The show also seems to go out of it's way to make the preppers look as nutty as possible (particularly the UK show they aired.. they couldn't have found a better set of people of 'dubious mentality and paranoia if they'd tried but again, it wouldn't have been worth watching if it were real folk with real sensible ideas putting them into practice in a sensible fasion!)....

It has raised awareness though, 5 years ago there were very few online prepping resources in the UK, now there are loads with very well populated forum communities to boot!

Most of the ones shown on the show are 'paranoid nutters' after all, it would be very dull TV if these people were all sensible 'boy scout' types who are, like most of us just trying to ensure we have a 'plan B!'

The show also seems to go out of it's way to make the preppers look as nutty as possible (particularly the UK show they aired.. they couldn't have found a better set of people of 'dubious mentality and paranoia if they'd tried but again, it wouldn't have been worth watching if it were real folk with real sensible ideas putting them into practice in a sensible fasion!)....

It has raised awareness though, 5 years ago there were very few online prepping resources in the UK, now there are loads with very well populated forum communities to boot!

It's interesting because I'm sure many of us stock up on food when it snows or rush to the petrol station when there's a strike, so while these examples arn't exactly "prepping" they still reflect a panic of sorts when we fear going without the things we need.

I'm assuming there are no hardcore preppers among us as this thread has attracted very little attention, but I do wonder how many of us like me ponder the outcome of such an apocalyptic event.

If marshal law should take hold does that give the shooting community the edge ? Survival of the fittest or survival of the best equipt.