Reformating hard drive

JimLondon

I'm throwing out my desk top computer and want to wipe my hard drive clean,does anybody know the easiest way of doing this.

My other option is to stick some targets to it and use it for zeroing (preferred option) but wifey thinks I'm not normal.

Jim

Take it out and put it on the concrete floor and hit it as hard as you can with a big hammer. :good: :good:

Some years ago a friend who was in to computers used wipe discs with a program that filled the disc with X and O binery coad in that way it would over rite any information on the disc.

All data gets minced into unreadable binary, even stuff you put into the recycle bin, some software scambles the binary using more complicated algorithms. But the developers of any format / deletion software can un-scramble the binary making it readable again.

Why not just format the drive using the standard method and turn it into an external drive using an enclosure kit, waste not want not.

Just use some disk wiping software. Basically it goes through the whole disk, writing multiple bit patterns to each sector. Different algorithms can be used - depending on how paranoid you are, but really, after doing even a basic wipe, nobody is going to recover anything. If you have state secrets on there - put the disk through a shredder. Most people don't though.

dban has been mentioned - there are others too, both free and commercial.

Once the disk is wiped, re-purpose it and turn it into an external disk for backups.

If they die, they are fun to open up. There are some very powerful rare-earth magnets inside them which can come in handy. Here is a project for you.

Get some brass off a spent shotgun cartridge, get rid of all the plastic. Use some epoxy and glue the magnet inside so that it is just about flush with the brass (maybe give it 1 or 2 mm so the brass doesn't scratch your fridge). There you go - a nice new fridge magnet. Your wife will love them :)

As others have said there are quite a few programs out there which will securely erase all data on the disc and make it unrecoverable.

I normally do that with my old drives, then take them to a local computer shop which has an industrial shredder which will physically destroy the drive by shredding it into small chunks.

A good friend works for the police and councils recovering data from confiscated computers you would be astounded at what can be got from a wiped clean computer

+1 for the big hammer option

Some peoples idea of 'wiping' is deleting files or formatting the disk. Yes, that can be recovered. If you wipe each sector with alternating and/or random bits - you will not recover anything. Some people say intelligence agencies can do this - but there is no proof of this, and certainly a local council or even the police would not have the technology to do this even if were possible.

I use this software to erase my unused sectors, and properly delete files (when necessary):

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Some peoples idea of 'wiping' is deleting files or formatting the disk. Yes, that can be recovered. If you wipe each sector with alternating and/or random bits - you will not recover anything. Some people say intelligence agencies can do this - but there is no proof of this, and certainly a local council or even the police would not have the technology to do this even if were possible.

I use this software to erase my unused sectors, and properly delete files (when necessary):

http://eraser.heidi.ie/

Thats the same software as I use. You can set it to do something like 25 pass military grade deletions etc. No way anyone is going to recover anything from that.