breasting pigeons

ballzy1978

Remove the wings put your thumb at the bottom of the breast bone, push under the breast meat pull and twist at the same time the whole lot comes away.

Then just remove the skin with the feathers still on, a touch messy but works well sure theres a vid o youtube somewhere

Pluck a few feahters off the breat and then cut the skin with some scissors and peel back the skin to reveal the breast - using the scissors cut the breast away from the main carcass.

Tried the standing on the wings method and to be honest it is more messy than above and best done when fresh'ish.

I always pluck mine while I'm outside, it will be the last job I do before going home after shooting.

Just find a ditch and drop the feathers as you pluck, it's much quicker and a lot less messy than doing it at home!.

Though try and do it in an area where feathers getting blown about won't bother anyone.

I don't pluck, just stick under tap and ruffle feathers on breast and they naturally part at the breastbone. Cut down breastbone with a knife then push skin clear of breast meat. Remove breast meat with knife.

As feathers are wet there are no feathers going astray and quick to clean sink out when finished. Also slit below breast and remove liver and heart for pate (see recipe section). When still have pate in freezer then boil up liver and hearts and any damaged breast meat to add to the dogs dinner.

With the meat I take out the inner muscle (lighter coloured) and strip out the sinew. I freeze this seperately and use as an alternative to chicken. The main muscle I remove the sinews, wrap in pairs before freezing.

I don't pluck, just stick under tap and ruffle feathers on breast and they naturally part at the breastbone. Cut down breastbone with a knife then push skin clear of breast meat. Remove breast meat with knife.

As feathers are wet there are no feathers going astray and quick to clean sink out when finished. Also slit below breast and remove liver and heart for pate (see recipe section). When still have pate in freezer then boil up liver and hearts and any damaged breast meat to add to the dogs dinner.

With the meat I take out the inner muscle (lighter coloured) and strip out the sinew. I freeze this seperately and use as an alternative to chicken. The main muscle I remove the sinews, wrap in pairs before freezing.

I like this, thanks. :good: