Poaching 'a problem' in Warwickshire

djgeoff

We need to have tougher sentencing for poachers.

You know how animal rights groups say us shooters dump shot animals? There hasn't ever been a single confirmed case of legitimate shooters dumping shot animals, most are down to poachers. A lot of alleged malpractice by shooters (aside from dumping of game) is actually down to poachers.

We need to have tougher sentencing for poachers.

You know how animal rights groups say us shooters dump shot animals? There hasn't ever been a single confirmed case of legitimate shooters dumping shot animals, most are down to poachers. A lot of alleged malpractice by shooters (aside from dumping of game) is actually down to poachers.

Yes there is.

Last saturday two members shot 16 rabbits and left them.

Friday before i lamped and shot 30+ rabbits with another member and left everyone were it was shot.

Saturday i and another member shot 33 woodies and some ferals, we took 8 and scattered the rest for fox.

Saturday evening two members shot a few rabbits (not sure how many but 15ish) and never picked one.

Then i know of a shoot that buryed 100s of pheasants because no one wanted them.

It always interests me when some one says they know of a shoot that has dumped pheasants yet there is never any proof and the accuser never names and shames the shoot.

I used to have to sell over 15000 head of shot game per season (only 6000 head a year now)and have never struggled to sell them infact the dealer is regularly waiting for our birds at the end of the day

Yes there is.

Last saturday two members shot 16 rabbits and left them.

Friday before i lamped and shot 30+ rabbits with another member and left everyone were it was shot.

Saturday i and another member shot 33 woodies and some ferals, we took 8 and scattered the rest for fox.

Saturday evening two members shot a few rabbits (not sure how many but 15ish) and never picked one.

Then i know of a shoot that buryed 100s of pheasants because no one wanted them.

and your reason

and your reason

Pure pest control.

Start picking lamped rabbits and you shoot 15 insted of 30.

I shoot with cockercas, mabey for the last 3 years, in that time i think ive seen 2 go to someone to eat. Nobody wants them.

Pigeons, we only shot them because we was asked to, i took 8.

Cocker dosent shoot them (or is reluctant to/only when asked) because of the waste.

As for the shoot dumping pheasants.

No chance of naming, it would rock the boat so to speak.

The only time I leave something is when its past the edible meat stage i.e. the meats been ruined by the act of being shot, everything else I'll butcher and if my freezer is full I'll hand it out to family, friends or the farmer who's land I'm shooting.... my farmers are well chuffed when I rock up with a selection of quality cuts of various game.

Pure pest control.

I shoot with cockercas, mabey for the last 3 years, in that time i think ive seen 2 go to someone to eat. Nobody wants them.

Cocker dosent shoot them (or is reluctant to/only when asked) because of the waste.

so you don't pick them but rather carry on lamping, how do you know that you have not left any injured?

Pure pest control.

Why not name them if your prepared to accuse shoots of poor practice then you should back up your statement though as I suggested I doubt you ever will cause the chances are its hearsay/nonsense and you don't know for fact.

I know you would like to think that everybody who holds a sgc/fac is whiter than white but thats simply not the case.

As ive not mentioned any names ive accused no one of anything, just simply saying that the practise of dumping shot game DOSE happen.

Please dont accuse me of lieing.

Without proof you aren't very credible though are you? Show us some proof that shoots dump shot game or name a shoot that does I'm sure any reasonable sportsman would like to know so that shoot could be avoided or maybe if you had any idea you would realise that demand for game is at an all time high and provides a valuable source of income to any shoot.

I am often the one being accused of being whiter than white but in many ways I understand a_hobden's point.

There are times when I am shooting rabbits purely for pest control and it is numbers that matter. If I am on my own I sometimes cannot be bothered to gut and skin the rabbits, it is not pleasant and although I keep my local zoo supplied (whole rabbits guts in) I will regularly just dump them, it is just too much hassle if I am not in the right mood.

Next to my golf course permission is a field of sugar beet (same owner) so I just throw them well into the field, out of sight, and let nature take its course.

In a council owned local park where I shoot I have to be more careful and either throw them into a very wild area for the foxes, an area where dog walkers do not go, or bag them and put them in the dustbin.

They are always disposed of discreetly and responsibly.

I used to have the philosophy of don't shoot what you cannot eat (or give away), but sometimes it just is not going to happen that way.

Without proof you aren't very credible though are you? Show us some proof that shoots dump shot game or name a shoot that does I'm sure any reasonable sportsman would like to know so that shoot could be avoided or maybe if you had any idea you would realise that demand for game is at an all time high and provides a valuable source of income to any shoot.

This wasnt recent btw, could be 4 years ago now.

I dont need proof, for you or me. I know it gos on.

Its not a huge shoot, but the last lot that was dumped was in the 80s.

Id never shoot there, did have a invite day and stood all day watching poorly presented birds fly by.

If i ever come across the dumping of game again il take pictures of it, name and shame the shoot and all who are connected with it for your benifit and plaster it all over the internet, might even forward the whole lot to LACS to.

Like i said previously the shooting community isnt whiter than white, bad practises go on all the time behind closed doors

Edit- i was joking about LACS, hear no evil speak no evil.

Edited by a_hobden

so it was 4 years ago and then in the 80's maybe my maths is out but thats a large discrepancy.

I've never seen it happen and the shoots I have been on have had a regular collection and there was a market even if the birds were sold at a pittance, most would hand them out to beaters and locals before throwing them away unless there was a reason behind it. Things like a chiller going wrong or damaged birds do result in disposal. How did this go from you not being bothered to pick up behind to the legend of game shoots disposing of birds?

so it was 4 years ago and then in the 80's maybe my maths is out but thats a large discrepancy.

I've never seen it happen and the shoots I have been on have had a regular collection and there was a market even if the birds were sold at a pittance, most would hand them out to beaters and locals before throwing them away unless there was a reason behind it. Things like a chiller going wrong or damaged birds do result in disposal. How did this go from you not being bothered to pick up behind to the legend of game shoots disposing of birds?

No lol. It was about 4 years ago and about 80 pheasants dumped.

Just read the rest of your drivel.

I was the only one who took some. Nobody else wanted them.

Simple fact is that the dumping of game birds happens. Just because you havent come across it dosent mean it dosent happen.

Edited by a_hobden

I know you would like to think that everybody who holds a sgc/fac is whiter than white but thats simply not the case.

As ive not mentioned any names ive accused no one of anything, just simply saying that the practise of dumping shot game DOSE happen.

Please dont accuse me of lieing.

I remain open to the possibility that it might happen, but until some concrete evidence comes through, and not just rumour and reports, I will operate under the assumption that it does not happen. Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Leaving the odd animal shot for pest control on the spot is not what I am referring to. I leave trapped squirrels out in the field, as many people do with crows et al, it's more of an issue if you shoot purely for sport and then leave them, without there being another purpose behind it, like pest control. I'm referring to the alleged cases of shot animals being gathered together and then dumped in one spot.

If anyone knows of any incidents, it would be helpful to report them to BASC, just to let them know.

Edited by Reece

Honest answer, i dont.

They are shot, if they move there shot again but thats it. We dont get out to check.

A truly disgraceful statement........... even pests deserve a clean kill. With people like you posting unqualified rubbish like this shooting and shooters are in for a rough ride. I despair :no:

A truly disgraceful statement........... even pests deserve a clean kill. With people like you posting unqualified rubbish like this shooting and shooters are in for a rough ride. I despair :no:

Im afraid you better pack shooting in.

Have you never shot a pigeon and feathers come off but the bird flys away?

Or pulled a shot at a rabbit and hit it in a leg and its made it down its hole?

NO? Obviously you dont shoot then.

We do our best to ensure its dead, if its moving after the first shot we will shot it again.

But i shoot purely to eliminate the rabbits from the farms i shoot, diffrence between me and you, il shoot 70+ you will shoot 20.

Btw. Not many need 2 shots.

Edited by a_hobden