.22 lr varmint or 17hmr ?

i have my ticket for a .22 varmint lr. & 17 hmr. don't no which one to buy. :innocent: i no the 22 is cheaper for ammo, which one do i buy. i will only be shooting rabbits.

the 17 hmr is load, ? any ideas advice etc please which to buy and why, thanks all your help would be an advantage

i have/had both, all be them anschutzs and have just sold the hmr through lack of use,the hmr is good for long range rabbits if thats what you have, but if they are 100yds or less get the .22 and practice till you get to know your scope and the hold over distances,its cheaper to run and quieter,imho the best bunny rifle there is.

The hmr is flatter shooting out to 125yds but louder,if i were you i would go for the .22 first,see how you get on and if need be buy the hmr later

atb dave

Depends on the range you will be shooting among other things.

I got my first CZ 22 lr 6 months ago and used it up to 120 yards to date with great success.However just got CZ 17 HMR and really pleased with it and its much flatter trajectory up to and above this range and it is a very hard hitting and accurate round for its size..Also much less chance of ricochets than the 22 lr, which are heart stopping when they occur even with a good backstop.

I am glad I got the 22 LR first as it's a real fun gun to use and very,very quiet with subs.

.17HMR all the way, if its the noise problem and the HMR and you think it will frighten the rabbits I take multiple shots on the same field with my HMR often shooting the dead victims mate and his mate, agreed sometimes it will cause runners, but I have found a lot of the problems is over shooting the same patch of land.

I leave 2 weeks between visits that seems to work for me.

I use to use .22lr, Winchester subs and PH moderator but wouldnt go back to one personally.

Alan

Depends on the range you will be shooting among other things.

I got my first CZ 22 lr 6 months ago and used it up to 120 yards to date with great success.However just got CZ 17 HMR and really pleased with it and its much flatter trajectory up to and above this range and it is a very hard hitting and accurate round for its size..Also much less chance of ricochets than the 22 lr, which are heart stopping when they occur even with a good backstop.

I am glad I got the 22 LR first as it's a real fun gun to use and very,very quiet with subs.

Pretty much sums up my experience too. Mind you I didn't go out to 120 yards on the 22, more like about 70.

" If someone can't get within 80 yards they need to practice their field craft and not change their caliber."

Ref above post.

Depends on nature of permission, both rifles have a place in my toolbox, however I am of the age that crawling about in wet pastures and undergrowth is not conducive to my wellbeing any more (been there, done that) and I can cover three points of activity within the range of the HMR.

I work smarter not harder these days. :good:

You have a point there. I love walking about with my 22 but last weekend I took my HMR out, along with a picnic and a flask, set myself up in a nice sunny patch and didn't move for two hours. Shot eight rabbits. It was lovely.

You were born in the wrong century Thunderbird, you'd have fitted in a treat on a Big Game Safari in Africa in the late 1800's :lol:

But seriously, that's what you call style, brilliant :yes:

You were born in the wrong century Thunderbird, you'd have fitted in a treat on a Big Game Safari in Africa in the late 1800's :lol:

But seriously, that's what you call style, brilliant :yes:

Yes, there was something of the Great White Hunter about me that day. Mind you I did forget the Pimms and cucumber sandwiches. ;)

Until yesterday, I've not used my .22 since getting the HMR - it's simply more versatile. I kept the .22 because it's so quiet but I've not really had any issues with noise, with both moderated the bunnys look around like "***!?" rather than run away.

Honestly, I'll be sad to see it go but I don't use my .22 rabbit gun anymore............