Ruger .17 HMR M77/17

tjm160

My ticket's come through :yahoo:

Finance not enabling extension beyond a single rifle at this stage, I have settled on the .17 HMR having the most utility and therefore being the best place to start.

I had been fixed on a CZ 452 Silhouette, having seen so many good reports and shots a friends in .22 and liked the look and feel.

However, I am somewhat of a traditionalist and coming across the Ruger M77/17, find myself very drawn to the sleek lines.

Does anyone on the forum have any experience of these they can share?

I have one and am very happy with it, the trigger is in need of an upgrade or change, cost is probably around £20 but well worth it, the magazine feed is very good but must keep dirt out of it or it sticks. All in all well made rifles,

Its the same as your looking at, the all weather laminate with the grey barrel,??? as for ammo, its hard to say they all seem to like different makes. I had a gamble on some Hornady at £8.50 a box and bought 1000 and the it likes them, i would find one it likes and try and buy the max you can from the same batch.#. I have done a little work on mine though, not hard to do just fully floated the barrel and change the trigger.

Many thanks indeed and yes. I was originally drawn to the regular wood version, but there's a complete package (gun, SAK mod, harris bipod, Uncle Mike swivels, Niggeloh strap, Deerhunter sleevegun, sling, slip) advertised privately in Kent for £650. It's rather a trek from here, but that seems a very good price and so more than worth it on both counts. I'm just waiting to hear back from seller whether still available.

Many thanks indeed and yes. I was originally drawn to the regular wood version, but there's a complete package (gun, SAK mod, harris bipod, Uncle Mike swivels, Niggeloh strap, Deerhunter sleevegun, sling, slip) advertised privately in Kent for £650. It's rather a trek from here, but that seems a very good price and so more than worth it on both counts. I'm just waiting to hear back from seller whether still available.

Is that shop or private ?. Some rfds in Kent that aren't that great

CZ do other guns besides the Silhouette!

NewWMR 003a.jpg

+1, tried the premium lux (I think) yesterday. Match trigger, fluted barrel an very good build quality.

Private, but 24-hours without response so not holding out massive amounts of hope it's still available.

The CZ's are fantastic rifles, that's clear from the sheer number that shoot them. I just love the look of the M77. That said, if this proves not to be available, I may well yet go for a 452 American/Varmit and keep the Silhouette for the .22 later (I'm not at all keen on having identical rifles in different calibres).

Got one of those and its great. As Dougy said though it needs a trigger job. I got trigger job and threaded and proofed before I picked it up.

Only regret is I never had barrel length reduced,kept it 24". This makes it quite a bean pole but could be improved with a over-barrel mod.

Good luck in You're search.

Bryan.

Thanks gents and that's certainly the desire. There's a plain wood version in North Yorkshire, but that's the plain gun with mod for £495. Adding a decent scope, bipod, sling, case puts it up to £800-£900 which is just too much at the moment. I really hope this one in Kent is a possibility.

Thanks crossy and I feel the same. As an LSW gunner and able to swap for a rifle in unit shooting comp's, I preferred to use as a rifle instead (without the bipod) finding the added weight on the front end made it more accurate, from any position. I had a look at an M77 in the flesh this afternoon and still like the look and feel. However, the dealer was not very encouraging and suggested the rotary mag is prone to jams, have you encountered this at all? The dealer also (and not for the first time) tried his hardest to steer me away from .17 HMR to .22 WMR. I left feeling very confused but more reading on .17 HMR this evening has returned the resolve somewhat. The Kent option is looking less and less likely (the seller replied to say given lack of interest, he has given to a dealer to sell for him and removed the moderator and bipod) though. In the process of researching more options, I stumbled across the Sako Quad which also appears to have a good following. There is also one quite close to me (East Wales) with a decent mod and scope running right on budget at £650. I would be interested in peoples thoughts on that too, but I believe forum guidelines dictate a new thread if changing topic.

Thanks crossy and I feel the same. As an LSW gunner and able to swap for a rifle in unit shooting comp's, I preferred to use as a rifle instead (without the bipod) finding the added weight on the front end made it more accurate, from any position. I had a look at an M77 in the flesh this afternoon and still like the look and feel. However, the dealer was not very encouraging and suggested the rotary mag is prone to jams, have you encountered this at all? The dealer also (and not for the first time) tried his hardest to steer me away from .17 HMR to .22 WMR. I left feeling very confused but more reading on .17 HMR this evening has returned the resolve somewhat. The Kent option is looking less and less likely (the seller replied to say given lack of interest, he has given to a dealer to sell for him and removed the moderator and bipod) though. In the process of researching more options, I stumbled across the Sako Quad which also appears to have a good following. There is also one quite close to me (East Wales) with a decent mod and scope running right on budget at £650. I would be interested in peoples thoughts on that too, but I believe forum guidelines dictate a new thread if changing topic.

I took mine with me to catton at the weekend and put 450 round through it on the same mag (left second at home doh!) and it never miss a beat. I only brought mine as I already had a ruger 10/22 and love the way that shoots so thought I would stay with ruger.

Funkey Monkey - yes indeed, good guys but very biased towards .22 WMR.

Crossy - thanks, clearly all would have been fine. Sadly the one in question was sold on Saturday. However, not that I'm complaining - I picked up a Sako Quad Synthetic this afternoon and having shot it this evening, am delighted with it. I'll share the details in a separate thread.

Funkey Monkey - yes indeed, good guys but very biased towards .22 WMR.

Crossy - thanks, clearly all would have been fine. Sadly the one in question was sold on Saturday. However, not that I'm complaining - I picked up a Sako Quad Synthetic this afternoon and having shot it this evening, am delighted with it. I'll share the details in a separate thread.

They are very fair and really go out of their way to help. One of the best shops I have used. You have to stand up for your decision with them sometimes which ain't great.

I can't fault them though.