12g single slugs - The dangers!

Frenchieboy

Following a thread recently about making your own single slug cartridges for a 12 bore and an explanation (From several members) of the potential dangers of you get it wrong I have come across a set of 12g shotgun barrels in my local gun shop that had "blown" through using single slugs in it by someone that obviously didn't realise or understand what the dangers were!

While the slug may well have gone through the barrel with relative ease the plastic wad that was in the cartridge holding the slug in place didn't. It jammed with the slug in the choke of the barrel and built up enough pressure to blow the barrel out. As luck would have it the shooter was unhurt physically but if the barrel had blown nearer to the breach he could quite easily have had his hand severly damaged.

The warning signs are there - If you do not understand how reloading single slug cartridges or firing them through a gun that is unsuitable can effect the pressures in a shotgun then the answer is plain and simple:

DON'T TRY IT, THE RESULTING DAMAGE CAN BE DISASTEROUS!

post-17172-0-74467800-1367414066_thumb.jpg

post-17172-0-31684600-1367414078_thumb.jpg

post-17172-0-31109300-1367414086_thumb.jpg

Oops. Someone try and shoot wax slugs or cut shells with a full choke in? If you haven't seen how dangerous these things are, have a look on youtube... Plenty of hicks taking their faces off with them...

Lucky they didn't get nicked. The law is pretty implicit wrt max shot size....

I think this post should be pinned, as it informs the more curious/daft home loaders / young /inexperienced shots about putting into practice stuff you can watch on you tube etc and obviously about the consequences of "messing around " with stuf/info they know nowt about,

Good informative post Frenchie,

ATB

Flynny

Great post, York guns ( i think ) used to have two similar, one where the breech end of the barrels had just opened like a trap door rifle and blown the forestock off from a 12G on top of a 20, And another when the end of the barrels had bulged out to almost double the size ( cant remember the reason, but i assume it was someones costly "experiment" ) .

When i had my interview for my SGC i was told the dangers of these sorts of things, mainly puttng the wrong cartridges in the wrong guns, and shown some pictures to back up the message.

Good Post.

Thanks Pete, a good reminder to pay attention to what you put in the chamber. I would caution that I had something similar happen years ago with an old 10 ga steel load that I had laying around a few years and probably had been wet at some point. It was a factory load in a plastic case and before they "plated" steel shot with an alloy ie. copper or Zinc. The shot had obviously rusted into a slug and took out the choke tube and the end of the barrel on a very strong Remington SP10 barrel. I now have a short Remington barrel along with a new longer one. Expensive!!!Dangerous!!!

don't think il be trying that. good read pete

I should add that this was not me or one of my guns. It was just something that I came across in my local gun shop!

I guess it makes those imortal words really ring out "DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME"!

i have seen a similar thing in south africa where an old guy he was a farmer and decided he would reload his own rounds so went to the gun shop bought a reloading kit and happy days.the problem was in his eyes some of the kit was not needed he just put a detinator cap in the shell then filled it with powder and pressed the point in now we have a bullet so he thought yes it wernt long befor he came in to the gun shop saying he needed a new gun as the barrel on his old gun must have been worn not the case the gun dealer told him after knowing how the guy was rloading his own rounds and yes the rifle was a mess

*facepalm* does it not occur to people trying to shove something solid through a choked gun will turn it into a pipe bomb? ive SEEN this happen before when a more reckless person i unfortunately knew decided he needed to get rid of some slugs he had lying around, problem being he forgot to take the chokes out his gun................ i still wonder how he managed to obtain a licence? right side of the barrel blew out with me 20 feet away from it................ i dont know who needed to change there trousers more, me or him! thankfully i have never seen him since! o and i was un-injured somehow.