silenced shotgun to easily dispatch pigeons and crows

lap9387

Go on gun trader,They pop up all the time from .410 to 12g . Ther was a hush power o/u lanber on there the other day but youll be luck to get away with you budget. For that sort of money youll be looking at a baikal .410 single shot. Let me know how you get on as I have been looking myself. A mate had a 410 and had no problems shooting pigeons with it.

Hi Lap9387 first of all welcome to PW.

What do you want to do with a hushpower, I am a bit unsure.

I shoot pigeon, crows, rats, rabbit etc.with air rifle shotgun and hushpower and just want to make sure you get the right tool for the job you have.

I use my air rifle more than the hushpower or will ask others to shoot these areas that may need near silent kills.

Hi Lap9387 first of all welcome to PW.

What do you want to do with a hushpower, I am a bit unsure.

I shoot pigeon, crows, rats, rabbit etc.with air rifle shotgun and hushpower and just want to make sure you get the right tool for the job you have.

I use my air rifle more than the hushpower or will ask others to shoot these areas that may need near silent kills.

Because of the location of the field, wgen people hear gun shots they automatically call the police...

The farmer will only allow shooting on this field with moderated guns

I purchased a baikal single barrel synthetic 12g hushpower from saddlery and gunroom. We have horses and i regularly shoot in the same fields with them and others. With proper hushpower cartridges they are truly very quiet.

I generally use it for pigeon and rabbit shooting; i have toyed with taking it for some clays for fun, but never got round to it yet. I would recommend them to all shooters, they are not everyones cup of tea, but if you need a nice quiet shoot or dont want to alarm neighbours or animals they are ideal. When i shoot often the horses are standing right behind me just being nosey; it really doesnt bother them at all. Without the hushpower it would be impossible for me to shoot at our livery yard.

I paid about £390 for mine and that was delivered to my local gun dealer. Quite often they come up on gunstar and guntrader but they generally still hold their value.

Take a look at sadllery and gunroom as they are the people who actually convert and make the hushpowers.

http://www.saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/Gunroom/SG_Hushpower.htm

I have just come back from standing against the edge of a wood with my 20g o/u husher, just inside where the tall bushes are filling up with green shoots so you can't see through them anymore.

I had 3 pigeons come over low at breakneck speed. 1 pair and a rangey single. 3 snap shots and absolutely nailed each one dead in the air with 30grams of 5 shot.

Awesome :shoot:

With the right ammo they are a match for most guns :good:

I have the Mossberg 500, 3 shot .410 hushpower. Its a cracking gun, but as said keep the ranges sensible. If you decoy into your 25 yard zone, 30 tops, it will drop them every time. :good: I tried the 20g hushpower and its truly a lump, Sitsinhedges has the right tool if you want to go 20g. :good:

Guest cookoff013

guys,

if you ever want to start reloading for these things, just pop into the reloading section. we`ll pop the kettle on and get you shooting great loads asap. proven safe effective loads.

i personally load 32g #4s, but i dont use a moderated gun. i just feed a light sxs game gun.

without jumping totally into the costings, you will loose very little money reloading 12gauge 32g #4s.it works out that you break even totally after 2000 shots.

the 20gauge recoups money faster. just by about 200 shots.

for that little miniscule of inconvienience you make ammo 10x better than factory subs.

keep that in mind, pop over, we`ll open some rich tea.

guys,

if you ever want to start reloading for these things, just pop into the reloading section. we`ll pop the kettle on and get you shooting great loads asap. proven safe effective loads.

i personally load 32g #4s, but i dont use a moderated gun. i just feed a light sxs game gun.

without jumping totally into the costings, you will loose very little money reloading 12gauge 32g #4s.it works out that you break even totally after 2000 shots.

the 20gauge recoups money faster. just by about 200 shots.

for that little miniscule of inconvienience you make ammo 10x better than factory subs.

keep that in mind, pop over, we`ll open some rich tea.

Good post Cookoff :good: Take the advice pw members, its great fun, you might save a few bob and adds a whole new dimension to our sport :good: There's a font of knowledge in the reloading section with some very helpful guys :yes:

Just a question to you Hushpower owners, I've never seen one fired so I would ask the question are they that quiet with normal 32oz loads. As I do not want to buy sub sonic on the basis of I may never use them if they reduce the noise on normal shells?

If you use supersonic loads you'll still get a supersonic bang though the overall noise will be reduced considerably but to get the best out of them you want a cartridge with a reasonably heavy pellet going at just under 1100 fps. For sensible ranges you wont notice any difference in killing ability. Mine is a great decoying gun as the link I posted on the other thread demonstrates.

You also find because the barrel is ported and the gases bleed off into the outer tube you might find a cartridge reaching normal speeds in a normal shotgun might actually drop to subsonic speeds in one of these. Depends on the gun, some are ported more than others and standard cartridges often do far less speed than claimed on the box.