Shot size

Barton90

Afternoon all

Just been out for a morning on the clays i shot two rounds and bought my shells there, my first round were with 7.5's and my second I noticed were with 8's both eley Olympics I shot just as well with both sizes and was just wondered if the difference in size really matters that much?

Afternoon all

Just been out for a morning on the clays i shot two rounds and bought my shells there, my first round were with 7.5's and my second I noticed were with 8's both eley Olympics I shot just as well with both sizes and was just wondered if the difference in size really matters that much?

Logic would suppose that you should have shot the second round better having already shot the layout.

So that would suggest that 7.5s are better for your chosen gun and choke set up.

Guest cookoff013

I have shot 9s on a sporting layout and didn't notice the difference in scores or on the distance

me too

currently using 24g #9s and rc2 in the same configuration.

at 1500fps, thats one hell of a combo still.

Was advised by an international shooter to use 8s on anything that shows a bit more clay I.E loopers, rabbit etc. I choke my gun at 1/2 & 1/4 so thought that it would make sense to put the 8 shot through the more open choke to make a wider pattern only to be told to shoot it through the tighter one. Have not questioned this as it seems to work but in reality it could all be in my/his head, same as the people who change chokes just about every stand.

Lead shot sizes & weights Shot size Diameter in mm Weight per pellet Strike energy @ 1400ft/sec Pellets in 28gr Pellets in 24gr 9 1.78 0.033 gr 2.26 ft-lbf 850 729 8 2.21 0.062 gr 4.22 ft-lbf 450 386 7½ 2.31 0.070 gr 5.22 ft-lbf 400 343 7 2.41 0.082 gr 5.62 ft-lbf 340 291 6½ 2.51 0.093 gr 6.31 ft-lbf 300 257 6 2.6 0.102gr 6.92ft-lbf 275 235 5 2.79 0.127 gr 8.66 ft-lbf 220 189 4 3.05 0.164 gr 11.19 ft-lbf 170 146 Smaller pellets slow down quicker, and are therefore less effective at distance

Thought this may be of interest to the technically minded

Kermit

Guest cookoff013

kermit,

the issue i think is missleading is the "strike energy at 1400fps "

that is calculated at muzzel or 2.5m where the chrono reads, not at x meters when the pellets hit.