.223 choices

jimmyb79

Have just been told that my variation for a .223'has been granted. It's going to be a fox and occasional vermin rifle. I had set my sights on a new Browning X Bolt composite stock but have been offered a Savage which has only fired 50 rounds.

I'm new to the calibre and just wondered what people's views of these rifles were, and whether second hand is worth considering etc.

Thanks in advance

I have a browning A-bolt composite in .223. And. Its absolutly excellent for the money it will group 1/2 at 10yds all day with privi partizan and I aint no target shooter. It comes screwcut, weaver bases and 2 x 5 shot mags which hang down or pop out. Its also a 1in12 twist rate so just right for them 55grainers or less! Go with what you feel comfortable with, yeah I wanted a tikka but couldn't really afford it so went with the browning angot to say its bang on for the money at £495 new you cannot go wrong plus its very light.

Zerod my new scope the other week at 100yds and only a nikko sterling and here's the group it gave me using PPU ammo at £55 for 100 rounds yours may be different ( if you decide to get one ) but goes to shoe there's nothing wrong with ppu

post-58742-0-44140900-1368854511_thumb.jpg

I have a browning A-bolt composite in .223. And. Its absolutly excellent for the money it will group 1/2 at 10yds all day with privi partizan and I aint no target shooter. It comes screwcut, weaver bases and 2 x 5 shot mags which hang down or pop out. Its also a 1in12 twist rate so just right for them 55grainers or less! Go with what you feel comfortable with, yeah I wanted a tikka but couldn't really afford it so went with the browning angot to say its bang on for the money at £495 new you cannot go wrong plus its very light.

Zerod my new scope the other week at 100yds and only a nikko sterling and here's the group it gave me using PPU ammo at £55 for 100 rounds yours may be different ( if you decide to get one ) but goes to shoe there's nothing wrong with ppu

Good post mate, just out of interest why is 1 in 12 just right for 55g?

Good post mate, just out of interest why is 1 in 12 just right for 55g?

What I meant was it will stabalise a 55gr better than a 1 in 9 twist which would be better suited for a heavier bullet than 55gr as there is a chance the 55gr will breakup in mid flight if fired through a faster twist than 1in12.

I've heared the sps 700 doesn't shoot that well and why buy a gun then change everything onit? If your going to buy a remmi 700 get the howa instead

I can second Lewis for recommending the A-bolt. I have one and love it. It is such a good rifle for the money.

Edited to say that after a look on guntrader I see the savage edge is a good bit cheaper than the A-bolt but after handling both in the shop I preferred the A-bolt.

Edited by aister

What I meant was it will stabalise a 55gr better than a 1 in 9 twist which would be better suited for a heavier bullet than 55gr as there is a chance the 55gr will breakup in mid flight if fired through a faster twist than 1in12.

I've heared the sps 700 doesn't shoot that well and why buy a gun then change everything onit? If your going to buy a remmi 700 get the howa instead

Cheers mate,

Dont be put off Remington - I bought mine second hand and its perfect. Best option is as said - buy one you like the look off. The real advantage of Remington is you can upgrade as you wish and finance becomes available. I wouldnt poke the fire with a Savage anything but thats just MHO..

At 10yds mate you should be doing better than that :lol:

My T3 Lite .223 is 1-8 twist, it lives on PRVI 55g SP and performs just fine! :yes::good:

for foxing really you have no need to go heavier than 55grain I had a 700 and a mate still has it and that shoots silly sized groups and has killed a lot of foxes. Really you need to work out budget and go from there, .223 I wouldn't be scared of buying a 2nd hand one other issues are is it going to be carried much or used from a vehicle. If the latter then heavier can be useful and not a hinderance

I use a Remmy 700 1..9 which I bought second hand a few years ago and it shoots very well.

It shoots everything from 40grn up to 69grn although the main fodder is 55grn SP and 60grn V Mx.

I had to change the trigger as it was inconsistent and would not safely go lower than 1kg pull, and the standard stock was far too flexible.

Nothing wrong with any of the .223's currently available so it's as others have said buy what you like the look of and can afford.