.22LR barrel life ???

blackbird

Agree with the above. It is pretty much inconceivable that modern, non-corrisive, .22rf ammunition would wear out a barrel, even a very old one. I recall reading somewhere that it was reckoned that would have a put 1,000,000 rounds through a rifle on full-auto, before you created enough wear to make a noticable difference in performance.

J.

An old guy who used to come to our club had a gun he bought in 1932 and he had shot literally hundreds of thousands of rounds through it and it still shot in the high 90's every week and the old guy was in his late 80's and used to shoot off a bit now and again.

A friend wore out a barrel in his target rifle however he used to shoot for his country so put a lot of lead down it 5 or 6 days a week and as far as I understand would clean it about as many times a week. It was almost certainly the excessive cleaning that knackered it. Though his idea of a knackered barrel would still perform better than what most people (myself included!) could achieve.

The BSA Martini International was/is the mainstay of many a club, and has been seemingly forever, it has not been made for a good while now I understand but is still going strong.

Many .22lr WILL last a lifetime, with relatively little care and attention, especially if they live on subs. :yes::good:

The only .22 that I came across with a worn out barrel - and it was really kn@£$**!&ed was an old re-barreled Martini - Bonehill conversion, which was chambered for .22 Long (blackpowder); evidently, someone had not given it the TLC it deserved on the inside and it would barely group into four feet at 20 yards!