what's causing this?

recently started usin the hull superfast's after my supplier ran dry on fiocchi and noticed almost half of the spent shells are sooty and exesively dented on the primers. does anyone know what causes it or if its likley to cause problems.

i have never seen it on the fiocchi shells. the gun i have been using is an E rizzini.

thanks.

post-57269-0-42339200-1369857303_thumb.jpg

I would hazard a guess that either the shells are suspect (primers made of thin metal) or your firing pin springs are weak. Probably the only reasons the primers are pierced.

Check the breech face for 'blow back' from the primers and try another batch and then its the gunsmiths - IMHO.

I would hazard a guess that either the shells are suspect (primers made of thin metal) or your firing pin springs are weak. Probably the only reasons the primers are pierced.

Check the breech face for 'blow back' from the primers and try another batch and then its the gunsmiths - IMHO.

Thin Primer. If you have a slab take them back.

The primers look to have a fair dent in them but they don’t look to have been pierced to me. If they go bang and the stuff falls down I would just use them. Some contributors on this site run so scared that it's surprising that they shoot at all. Knitting is fairly safe but there are those very dangerous pointy stick things that granny uses.

Hull make good cartridges.

The primers look to have a fair dent in them but they don’t look to have been pierced to me. If they go bang and the stuff falls down I would just use them. Some contributors on this site run so scared that it's surprising that they shoot at all. Knitting is fairly safe but there are those very dangerous pointy stick things that granny uses.

Hull make good cartridges.

thanks for your input fella. i don't recall anyone saying anthing about being scared or worried though. i have been shooting for 20+years and fired all sorts of shotguns and rifles in that time and never been scared, i just thought the sooty primers were strange and wondered if anyone else here had experienced the same thing and found a cause.

i know hull make decent shells. i have lived in hull all my life and have fired many thousands of there shells.

aga man.

Have a look at your firing pin some have machine marks left from manufacture leading to a fracture of the primer surface.

The firing pin should give a smooth indent , Have a look at a pile of empties left by a clay shoot and see what I mean.

Or better still take a spent primer to bits see how thin the cup is. hope this helps - John

The first signs of over pressure is primer flow . That is when the primer is flattened and you can hardly see a dent in the primer where the striker has hit it . Looks like over zealous striker springs or very soft primer material .

Harnser .