Vauxhall frontera

Blakloks

that list isn't a great advert for keeping them as road vehicles though :lol:

to be fair you have to buy on condition and they are getting on a bit now, tin worm is an issue all the ones above are petrol and the engines are good but not infallible but they are vauxhall so reasonably easy to repair. There are diesel versions but I don't think with the roof setup that makes them as good for lamping. If its a pure shooting truck they can be good but as day to day transport odds are you will be better off with a diesel

The later diesels - after 1998 - are fine off and on road. 2.2 averaged 38mpg and a lot better to drive on road than the Discovery it replaced.

Short wheel base gives a bumpy on road drive - similar to SWB Shogun. LWB would be my choice.

They got off to a poor start and their reputation never really recovered,. It became almost fashionable to slag them off, but they compare well to the Discovery, Shoguns etc of this world. People praise other makes and make a virtue of their faults, but Fronteras just get a panning. Human nature is a funny thing.

I had a 2.2 petrol LWB on a V reg Frontera B series.

I had it for 4 years and it always returned 25 to 30 mpg.

It was so nice to drive very comfy and smooth just like driving a car with a better ride height.

Has a shooting truck it had a big glass sunroof and in winter.

I could shoot from the 4x4 with the engine running and the heater on it was that quiet.

Some times i would have to look at the rev counter to see if it was running.

I have shot hundreds of Rats. Rabbits. And called Foxes in with the engine running.

Go for the Frontera B series they have coil springs and a different chassis.

And are a totally different drive to the Frontera A series.

In 4 years all it had was disc pads oil changes and a brake caliper and a few tyres.

The 4x4 was excellent I have driven on loads of boggy and muddy fields and never got stuck.

Don`t look at the 3.2 V6 Petrol the engine is a pile of ****.

I run a 03 2.2dti Lwb as its my everyday car it has road tyres on but if it was only used for offroad shooting Ie round fields I'd recommend better tyres ! It's great for lamping on dry land and the 4wd works !!

Likes been said before its great for hauling gear about ( 4 adults and a boot "FULL")plus its got a radio and heated leather seats ! So you can lamp in comfort !! They are underrated in my opinion ....

Edit to add : mine is the Isuzu engine ?

Edited by mad1

The best Diesels were the 2.8 T/D which were only made roughly between 1996 - 1998, They are an Isuzu Engine and are bullet proof, Same engine as in the MK1 Trooper, They go on forever or should say the engine will, The body will give up way before he engine does, They are built on an Isuzu chassis as well, Trouble is they are old now.

the wife currently owns a 2002 2.2 tdi olympus lwb , very impressed with it on and off road .

really good on diesel , loads of space , comfy car etc etc .

some parts say isuzu on them but dont know where the engine is from.

i currently own a 3.0 trooper which i think is slightly better off road , but no where as good on diesel