Turned to the Skeet Side

Turned to the Skeet Side

Hi guy. I have been shooting DTL now for just over two years, which I enjoy very much.

I got invited along with a mate to try my hand at skeet, which again; I really enjoyed.

Do any of you skeet guys use trap guns for this discipline, or is it best to use a sporter?

I had three rounds and shot 18/25 on each round, which I was pleased with. My bogy peg was the centre one!

Looking forward to giving it another go at the weekend.

Thanks POL

Given the distance at which you shoot skeet targets, you're not helping yourself by using the tight chokes which I assume your trap gun has. Trap guns have a higher comb than skeet/sporters because trap targets are going away and rising, hence the point of impact is generally higher. A flatter shooting gun would certainly be more beneficial for the crossing and quartering targets that you shoot apart from the high 1 and low 7. Skeet guns have fallen out of fashion since the advent of multichoke sporters so I'd use a sporter with skeet and skeet; skeet and quarter or quarter and quarter chokes.

You need a competent person to check your gun for height of comb, generally speaking you should be able to see the pip on the end of the barrels over a pound coin placed on the breech end, and the pip should disappear when you place a second pound coin on top of the first.

Shooting pairs in the middle isn't difficult if you shoot the first bird in the right place, i.e. about 2-3 yards before the middle, then as you watch it break the second bird runs through your sight line.

The more you practice the slower they seem

best of luck

kermit

I've been looking at the CPSA rules on English skeet, what's the point on repeating the target if you've missed it will it be marked as a miss or hit for a repeat target ???

Without the repeat shot you will only have had 24 targets, thus the final target of your choice on the last stand makes up your 25 if you are straight. If not repeat first miss for 25 shots.

I've been looking at the CPSA rules on English skeet, what's the point on repeating the target if you've missed it will it be marked as a miss or hit for a repeat target ???

Stations 1-7 only add up to 24. The 25th target is either a repeat of the first one you miss, or if you don't miss, your choice of high or low from station 7.

Edit: Beaten to it. :stupid:

Edited by paulos

Basically, 7 stands. You take 2 single targets followed by a pair of simultaneous targets on each stand except for stands 3 and 5. On 3 and 5 you are only presented with 2 single targets.

If you do a round without missing a clay, you will have shot 24 targets. You then nominate which target you wish to do again, shoot that... And that will be the 25th target, straight round.

If you are going around and you shoot and miss a clay, providing that it is the first target you have missed in the round, you are allowed to repeat the same target. The first attempt is still classed as a loss though. Your repeat will be classed as a hit or miss depending on what you do!

After the first miss you do, you are not allowed to repeat anymore targets. So if you miss you miss! At the end of the round you will not be asked to nominate a target, as you will have already shot 25 targets.

Thats how i believe it goes

Edit beaten to it lol

Edited by Malik

Basically, 7 stands. You take 2 single targets followed by a pair of simultaneous targets on each stand except for stands 3 and 5. On 3 and 5 you are only presented with 2 single targets.

If you do a round without missing a clay, you will have shot 24 targets. You then nominate which target you wish to do again, shoot that... And that will be the 25th target, straight round.

If you are going around and you shoot and miss a clay, providing that it is the first target you have missed in the round, you are allowed to must repeat the same target. The first attempt is still classed as a loss though. Your repeat will be classed as a hit or miss depending on what you do!

After the first miss you do, you are not allowed to repeat anymore targets. So if you miss you miss! At the end of the round you will not be asked to nominate a target, as you will have already shot 25 targets.

Thats how i believe it goes

Edit beaten to it lol

:yes::good:

Ok thanks all , I'll shoot it properly tomorrow :good:

I'm only comparing this to sporting and DTL , but it seems easier to shoot than the others or do you have to achieve 24-25 to be good?

To be good you have to shoot consistent 25s and then be able to string four of those together!

The hard part is when you miss the very first bird out and kill the repeat only to know that you can only shoot a 99 / 100!

I watched an old friend of mine do that on more than one occaision, we reckoned it was nerves that made him miss an easy bird and then he settled down as the PRESSURE was off!

Ok thanks all , I'll shoot it properly tomorrow :good:

I'm only comparing this to sporting and DTL , but it seems easier to shoot than the others or do you have to achieve 24-25 to be good?

How dare you Willpoon!! :| now get your tin hat on and wait for the flack

How dare you Willpoon!! :| now get your tin hat on and wait for the flack

I'm neither a novice or a pro at clays , I've been shooting clays a tad over a year now and it's mainly sporting clays I shoot ,comparing with DTL and Skeet sporting is generally more challenging to me rather than the other 2 , but that just my opinion :)

I'll put more of my points across but I'm typing on my iPhone :no:

I'll wait for the barrage of attacks now :lol:

I'm neither a novice or a pro at clays , I've been shooting clays a tad over a year now and it's mainly sporting clays I shoot ,comparing with DTL and Skeet sporting is generally more challenging to me rather than the other 2 , but that just my opinion :)

I'll put more of my points across but I'm typing on my iPhone :no:

I'll wait for the barrage of attacks now :lol:

I'll join you in the trench Willpoon, In my opinion sporting is king and Fitasc is king of kings :whistling: