Beaters Pay and HMRC

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

norfolk dumpling - Yes big shoots are suffering around us,

I am stopping going to large shoots, its the ones where I have to distance to travel

100 miles round trip - that £22 pounds fuel + food

pay £25 pounds, I was happy to break even

Now I would have to go to the hassle of filling in a tax form for them to tax me

£10 pounds, so I am misus £10 pounds every time I beat, no thanks

Dave

As with most things that HMRC do, they are planned for a long timne in advance, we had staff on courses 2 years befiore RTI even came in trying to work out how it would operate.

To companies that were following the correct PAYE rules before it has made no differnec. RTI is all about the employer registering the pay details of their staff in real time, i.e. every time they make a payment to the staff they have to notify the revenue.

Get real, before you turned up, keeper came round at dinner gave you your £25 pounds and that was that.

Now, name, address, and NI number, you can say you had to pay tax on your earning but

how many did. Nobody I ever beat with.

Dave

This is true of most shoots I would imagine I know it was when I was beating.

I put the cash in my pocket went home and it got put in my 'shooting and dog food fund' mind that was in the days of £80 / 1000 cartridges!!

Presume we are supposed to pay tax on the 'game' we sell like pigeons and rabbits!!

Get real, before you turned up, keeper came round at dinner gave you your £25 pounds and that was that.

Now, name, address, and NI number, you can say you had to pay tax on your earning but

how many did. Nobody I ever beat with.

Dave

That may well be how it was, and it was also similar to that in many other industries, but it doesn't matter how you dress it up, it's still tax evasion and therefore illegal. Surely you wouldn't expect to not pay tax on the income from your main job, so why is this any different?

If you decide not to go beating because it's not cost effective, that's up to you. After all, you wouldn't do any other job if it cost you more to get there than you earned? But you can't blame HMRC if they have brought in a system which has stopped you evading tax on your income, that is their job!

Edited by ColinF

But you can't blame HMRC if they have brought in a system which has stopped you evading tax on your income, that is their job!

I will leave the thread alone now, but I am sure that most people would think that if the HMRC

spent there time sorting out the real tax evaders, instead of the penny pinching the country will be far better off

I will leave the thread alone now, but I am sure that most people would think that if the HMRC

spent there time sorting out the real tax evaders, instead of the penny pinching the country will be far better off

That is exactly what they have done, it just so happens that shoots and beaters are also caught by the new rules.

Surely a real simple way of resolving this whole issue is for the shoots to 'up' the days beating money by the amount of tax you would have to pay!

If they agree to stop the tax at source then the beaters should still go home with the same days money the expected!

Or all beaters become 'travellers' cos they never seem to pay any ******* tax!!!

Edited by masmiffy

Surely a real simple way of resolving this whole issue is for the shoots to 'up' the days beating money by the amount of tax you would have to pay!

If they agree to stop the tax at source then the beaters should still go home with the same days money the expected!

Or all beaters become 'travellers' cos they never seem to pay any ******* tax!!!

And one of those two options is exactly what every commercial shoot I know of has done.

People are still saying they are being asked to pay their tax.

Any commercial shoot that doesn't offer to do this for you deserves to struggle getting beaters.

Most of the recent emails I have had from NOBS regarding beating opportunities clearly state 'taxed at source'

That's why I won't be beating on one shoot as still the same money £30 but have to pay tax yourself out of that.

Yep and it's not just the likes of Amazon, Starbucks etc we are talking about. How many times has a workman suggested cash and no VAT?? A shooting friend of mine, a SE painter and decorator told me he does 2 days a week small jobs cash only. He and his wife use this cash as their day to day housekeeping. How will HMRC sort these out?

Fairly recently another neighbour, a senior policeman who commissioned a £7k job I was sharing cost of asked me for cash as he had negotiated a discount - difficult to refuse but shows us extent of this. Puts our £25 beaters wages into perspective!

Anyhow doing 2 shoots so far: £37.56 gross for one and £30 gross (both using new tax rules) the other and possibly another 2 that appear to be £25 cash and no questions asked.

Another variation on the theme of overcoming tax issues - one farmer who runs a shoot where 4/5 days are sold isn't paying beaters but they will get a Xmas card with a few drinking vouchers and a good end of season day.

As its a payment to an employee, its still taxable. Hiding the money in a Christmas card doesn't make it tax free...... As he will probably be claiming a deduction for the cost beaters in his books against the income from the sold days, it won't take HMRC long to get to the bottom of it if he ended up with an enquiry.

You are a miserable *** aren't you......

Not at all.

People come on here looking for information, and there has been lots of rubbish posted on this thread about what beaters can and can't do. I'm just letting people know the facts, rather than what they heard in the pub, or the local farmers tax scam.

If you don't like the tax rules don't blame me, I can tell you what they are, but I can't change them