Gun Fitting Journey

Will Poon

I thought I would share a little knowledge to most of us newish to shotgun shooting, I've been shooting for just over a year now and loving every aspect of clay shooting buying my first gun Browning 725 sporter which I still have is one very nice gun to shoot, I learnt with that gun from my first clay shooting lesson with Brian Clegg (beretta on this forum) and shot well with it for nearly a year in that time I accumulated a few other guns that I use now and again and shoot well with them as well.

Until recently I decided to buy Perazzi MX2000s the metal work is in near mint condition for 7 year old gun and a fraction of the price of a new one, when I bought it the woodwork was a little dented but after a good job by malmo guns to re oil and fit a longer but pad all was mint, however after shooting the gun many times something wasn't quite right the LOP felt good but upon shooting the gun it ever so slightly gave a kick to my cheek to cut a long story short I felt I had to get use to the gun abit more , but I was missing very easy targets that most of us trained on you know the ones they float up in the air abit like a teal target.

I knew something wasn't right when I was shooting at my local club down the road from me it only has 2 disciplines ones a sportrap and the other is a DTL both I usually get about 18-22 out of 25 give or take. With my maiden shoot with the perazzi the scores fell drastically down to 8 then 9 then 11 !! At one stage the ref shouted over to me "Will is everything ok !" I can't repeat what I said as the swear filter would over load :lol:

Asking around it looks like gun fit was the problem so i was was going to purchase a Precision fit stock 2cf97fb3478a8e7cca2dc80095ac7c9d_zps3c2e

I remembered that ed solomons said hamster has one so I pm him and he was very helpful in giving me advise about the fitting and setting up of the stock .

So I gave Malmo guns a ring to get me one ordered but apparently because my gun doesn't have a drop out trigger it wouldn't fit ,damn I really had my heart set on it oh well back to the drawing board , I already had a spare forend found from a bloke called Dennis at uk gun repairs http://www.####.co.uk/index.htm as he was highly reccomended by welshwarrior .

Dennis was a great help in trying to sort out my problem with gun fit as that's his job ,so a Nill Griffe Ergosign - EvoComp stock was on my mind as used by our Olympic gold medalist Peter Wilson that could also be used for sporting disciplines ,http://neu.nill-griffe.com/Evocomp-Shotgun-stocks_189.html070AE76D-5D45-4375-BEE1-4439BF199966-156

So this morning I went down to the exmoor area where Dennis is based to get one put on my gun as he's the only one I think that has these in stock, after foundling many different sizes of hard grips to make it more bespoke to myself and taking my gun apart , would you bloody believe it after 5hrs to get there nill griffe Evocomp stock doesn't fit my gun same problem again it has to have a drop out trigger unit :no: a quick call to zee Germans at nill griffe and they have no intentions to make one for my gun :(

Gutted we both were.. But not to be foiled Dennis searched his vast quantity of shotgun stocks and found a perazzi sc3 stock and forend (fancy bit off wood to me and you :) ) that would fit with a bespoke one on one fitting service :D

Here's some pics of him doing his stuff on my new stock 05ec83b7b30a23d4d82444554beeec59_zps8e494375fdc2daa96398f08e2a5ff400c9ac_zpsf104108b9ee24e1670f217ec9724f956e02d_zpsfede

It should fit me like a glove when I get it so the only excuse when I miss is in the shooter and not the gun.

Gun fit makes so much sense to me now seeing Dennis asking the relevant questions to me and listing to my requirements, if your local to his area or not he's the man to see as he's not just a gunsmith but a top class shooter as well, so he knows whats what.

Thanks for reading all :good:

Edited by Willpoon

Nice write up Will,

Hope you get it sorted,

I went through something similar last year,

After treating myself to a new gun (went from Ultra XS 30" to Ultra XS Titanium 32") I wasn't shooting anywhere near as well, but by some good fortune I found my original gun for sale and bought it back,

After 12 months of struggling with the new gun and now being back with my old gun my scores are slowly creeping up again to where I think they should be.

Good luck with your new stock

:shaun:

And thankfully due to a bit of a mis-understanding you will have a cracking gun with superb woodwork that should fit you well and last your lifetime! :good:

Rather than an attachment that looks as though it comes with a blue badge for your car!!!!!!! :whistling:

Hope you get sorted will I think I will stick with son of potters old cast off 3800 used it 3 times now,last time 43/50 ive picked a gun up 3 times in 3 months, I need to get out more :). :). :) if your reading this teal I will email you my next yrs shift rota to ensure me attending the north winning the south again :) (hard hat at the ready) ;)

Edited by delburt0

Well at least you know why it was cheap Perazzi no drop trigger!

I've been told its quite a rare one as it has a mx12 action to it but for sporting use , the dropout triggers on perazzi are very good but stresses the wood area of the trigger guard as the unit is fatter than a standard trigger unit so less wood surrounding it therefore more prone to cracks on the stock, that's what I've been told .

I've seen a few perazzi guns with no selective barrels , fortunately mine has I'm not giving up hope on it as yet :good: believe me cheap it ain't !

The MX2000s is the MX12 action and they've never had a drop out trigger group. They don't need the access as they're coil springs, not 'V' springs.

Good luck with the gun, they're good aren't they? :good:

Doesn't GD shoot the MX2000s? No doubt he prefers the cheaper one :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update , I've had a call before from Dennis at u.k gun repairs with an update of the stock and forend , his description was you'll be blown away when I get this on my gun, SC3 wood , London finish and he's taken all the perazzi chequering off as he didn't think it was that good and re did the whole lot again , I should be receiving it very soon I'll defo post some piccies up when I get it :yes:

Just an update , I've had a call before from Dennis at u.k gun repairs with an update of the stock and forend , his description was you'll be blown away when I get this on my gun, SC3 wood , London finish and he's taken all the perazzi chequering off as he didn't think it was that good and re did the whole lot again , I should be receiving it very soon I'll defo post some piccies up when I get it :yes:

If he's done all the chequering from scratch you'll be blown away he's an artist at it. Just glad he taught me to do it!!

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's finally arrived in the post today as I came home from shooting a nice parcel was waiting for me :) it's taken about a month or so to do in total and well worth the wait.

I've not shot with it yet so I'll have to wait till Sunday now but it seems to come up very nicely , the finish looks like varnish in the pictures but its a best London hand oiled finish :yes:

The first picture is of the original stock and forend still attached and the rest of them are the new woodwork attached to the gun. The chequering that Dennis has done is a way lot better than the original Perazzi one as its more defined and deeper in cut, I hope you can see all of this in the pictures :good:

afcdad553bfc87c3d372a8068060c6c1_zps7809bc4caa200b97e1691e3d92d6f6d30a34_zps9fbc76db1db97857f1685a6df101cfa342e1_zpsa44ebdae788f4d473dcf4105cf88527f26d9_zpsf26cfa713f1e1a8c4ffb357706d0da15813e_zps46a16e7ca0a9c34b057964d2be8f14d90578_zpsca979abe0727f5021be8b72ab8cff24ed54b_zps6afbae7ba2de452db48b1afba5b4b7795c77_zpsc92cbf59687d2269dace39bb086bff07ac62_zps09e3119c950fa8aae47c239962a0cf57c61d_zps560fb3eddf3dad43cc458b0f1675f7b9642d_zps187a9c18433afc83dbe55410230cf00132c9_zps46b6740dd083fac8fc798eb065f9ac5353f2_zps6248

Sorry got carried away with the pictures :lol:

Forgot to mention its an ISIS but pad coloured black

Edited by Willpoon

Looks nice will but the proof is in the pudding,

After you have stated only shooting for 12 months I would have rather had more practise with different guns before spending thousands.

It really is a nice gun but you have done this as you said to better your scores.

I have been shooting a long time (not Very frequently clays) but I can still do 40 out of 50 with a £200 lanber and I clay shoot on average 5 times a year , last time yorkshire game fair about 7 weeks ago never seen the traps before 23 out of 40 with a gun I have never shot before .

Might be a good idea to find out your strengths and weaknesses before adding to your gun

Atb delburt0.......

Edited by delburt0

Looks nice will but the proof is in the pudding,

After you have stated only shooting for 12 months I would have rather had more practise with different guns before spending thousands.

It really is a nice gun but you have done this as you said to better your scores.

I have been shooting a long time (not Very frequently clays) but I can still do 40 out of 50 with a £200 lanber and I clay shoot on average 5 times a year , last time yorkshire game fair about 7 weeks ago never seen the traps before 23 out of 40 with a gun I have never shot before .

Might be a good idea to find out your strengths and weaknesses before adding to your gun

Atb delburt0.......

Absolutely spot on there Craig , as I'm still very new to shotguns I'm going to have this gun as a keeper so in time my level of expertise will grow (hopefully) I still remember my days of my first springer air rifle with open sights then after a few years a custom PCP air rifle competing in FT comps, if only I had the time to do more in clay comps :lol: