trapping rooks

Guest mel b2

hi again guys i need to pick the brains of the wise and knowledgable members of the forum if i might be so bold.the shoot that i have recently gained has quite a pest problem as i have mentioned before the pheasents are being dealt with quite nicely but the rook population is massive and i can only manage a couple at a time before they dissapear it doesnt seem to matter how well i hide myself they seem to know im there and wont return until i clear off .is there any other way to deal with them maybe with a ladder trap or larsen trap ive searched the old posts on traps but didnt see anything about trapping rooks do you think a ladder trap would work for them as they dont look too difficult to make and do you think the time of the year is too late .hope you can help guys as i really want to impress the farmer with with a fair few deceased rooks if its possible.cheers guys :lol:

Traditionally, the main way to control rooks, is to visit the rookery and "trim" the "branchers".

Young rooks just before they can fly, sit out on the branches (hence the nickname).

They are much nicer to eat than the mature rooks (apparently), so this was good for the table and kept the population under control.

I have never trapped rooks, but someone who has, may comment.

Go to the wood where they roost (you can tell by the immense amount of **** on the ground) usually I'd do this after a days decoying and just as its getting really pretty dark you'll see them come in, singles doubles and small groups until all the light has gone, they'll still be coming in you just can't see them. Obviously if your farmer has pheasants you'll have to ok this with him before as it could **** up their roosting patterns with the disturbance. Me and a mate used to go out and we'd get about 30-50 rooks a time, and it really only is the last half hour of light when they come in, often they'll circle around before hand making noise as well. Its the fastest shooting I've ever done the barrels would get pretty hot :lol:

Good luck and straight shooting. You could also build a huge crow trap.

thanks for the replies guys .the wood where they roost is on the farm next door so it looks like a visit to that farmer over the next couple of months thanks again for the replies fellas. :lol:

There are a number of ways to knock a hole in a rook population.

1. Shooting

2. Trapping

3. Scaring

you mention that in your first post, - doesnt seem to matter how well i hide myself they seem to know im there and wont return until i clear off. Unlike pigeon hides where you can basically plonk a hide anywhere and try and match it into your surroundings. Rook hides must be hidden from view. Make sure your net is level with the hedge. If possible, place your hide in some shade. Double net the front of your hide. Most important is to keep still as the bird approaches. Place as many dead birds onto cradles. This will bring the birds in to have a look at their mates, and a chance to get a shot off. Keep adding to the pattern with your dead birds. Try and make a note (number, i.e 65) of when the birds readily decoyed. There does come a point when you may have to many birds in a pattern and the birds just skim the outside of your pattern. Stay in your hide as much as possible only come out to tidy your pattern or collect birds well outside the pattern.

Trapping I've seen the ladder trap (letter box trap) work well. Best times to use these are at the end of the pheasant season as they cut the cover crops and after the grass has been cut for silage. Remember feed the pen for 2 -3 days before putting on the roof.

Scaring

probably the best way of all. (if land permits, Noise pollution to residents)

On a cold evening in April whilst the rooks sitting on their eggs put a shot into the air every couple of minutes for about 30 mins this will keep the birds off their nests thus allowing the eggs to chill. The birds will then sit on the eggs for the remaining nesting period with no chicks hatching. Doing a combination of all the above will reduce the population.

If the farmer just wants to keep the rooks off his field then place sticks at 45* with an old cd attached via some string so as the wind blows the cd glistens. These can be seen miles away. place one cd every 150 yards throughout the field.

Rooks are something that i only shoot when roosting and large culls to be honest are not my area of expertise. My local farmer has used Elma Fuds method and swears by it, the trouble is it provides little enjoyment and 'sport' for us shooters.

You best bet is to wait for a good swarm to descend on your field (usually a mixture of Rook and Crow) Have a line of shooters awaiting (usually in hides), walk towards the grounded swarm in a line with a nice openly choked shotgun and fire into the swarm, ive seen large numbers of between 100-300 before now and it make a shooting bloodbath! You have to hurry though youl only have a chance to empty about 6 barrels the more people in your line the better.

I tried decoying them one afternoon they wouldnt come near me,they where very wary.My mate suggested we put only a couple out with a bait (rabbit on his back with his guts hanging out).They seemed to be a lot less wary.Dont move a inch until you are ready to shoot.If you go in a wood to shoot them take a mate who doesnt shoot along for a walk,they will see you both go in and fly off,when you have settled in your mate leaves you to it.They see him leave and think it is safe,they are clever,but they can't count ???

when you have settled in your mate leaves you to it.They see him leave and think it is safe,they are clever,but they can't count
LOL ???:lol::lol::lol::P:P:D

Not sure if you were taking the pi$$ or being serious, but it made me laugh.

If it's true i'm not disagreeing coz i'm sure you know better. (not said to offend)

Adam

thanks again for the replies guys i think ill be trying a bit of everything over the next couple of months ive got the gear together to make a ladder trap so ill be making that tomorrow ill let you know how i get on thanks again for all the usefull advice. ???

when you have settled in your mate leaves you to it.They see him leave and think it is safe,they are clever,but they can't count
LOL ???:lol::lol::lol::P:P:D

Not sure if you were taking the pi$$ or being serious, but it made me laugh.

If it's true i'm not disagreeing coz i'm sure you know better. (not said to offend)

Adam

Its 100% true Rob G is correct - Ive used this tak many times - they can't count.

An old farmer told me this many years ago!!

UK Guy

I suggest finding out the flight line of the rooks and have a morning flight. Me and my mate did this last year as my dad was having terrible problems with rooks eating his pheasant feeding. So what we did was get on the flight line about 45mins before sunrise and shoot them going to feed, we shot a pile of birds this way.