help me get my finish right please?

elmar fudd

i decided to re-do the stock and forend on my 687 myself, after speaking to my mate who happens to be the local rfd who does stocks he informed me on what to do, following his instructions i removed the wood from the gun and sanded it down with 2000 wet and dry and then again with 2500 wet and dry, i then gave the wood its first coat of oil, left it for 10 mins and rubbed excess of with a cloth, i gave it an hour and repeated, it had 3 coats yesterday and has had three today aswell, however the finish is the same as it was before i started, i wanted a really nice shiny finish and its just not, im using parker hale walnut oil, on his reccomendation, am i doing anything wrong ? how do i get this shine? thanks

fudd

check to see if the oil your mate gave you is "rubbing" oil ...if it is just wiping it on is not enough , it needs the warmth of your hands thumbing it in ........this takes many evenings to do.....takes a long time but is worth it ........

once it is dry used a soft cloth and buff it well, as i said get some heat in it.........if that dont work wipe it off with spirits or meths and use a purdy rubbing oil, i think it comes in a 2 bottle pack......i think the stuff you are using is like linseed oil....just leaves an protective oiled finish.........rubbing oil will leave a glass finish if you stick at it....

that looks like a nice oiled finish........if i was using that gun regular i would leave it like that and just keep on feeding it every week with oil..........as i said before if you want a glass like finish go for the rubbing oil, but the finish you get will show any scratches up.

if you dont oil it regular (if you deciede to leave it like that) it will develope small dry patches.........takes a long while for oil to soak in so keep at it...you might get a better finish if you apply the oil with cabinate makers fine grade wire wool, then wipe off and buff

ditch

You should of sealed the grain before adding oil and also raised the grain.

The dent should have been steamed out before sanding.

Use your hands not a clothe and I leave my oil for around 2 hours before rubbing it up depends on temperature and oil type tho and only 1 coat a day or it tends to go tacky.

that looks like a nice oiled finish........if i was using that gun regular i would leave it like that and just keep on feeding it every week with oil..........as i said before if you want a glass like finish go for the rubbing oil, but the finish you get will show any scratches up.

if you dont oil it regular (if you deciede to leave it like that) it will develope small dry patches.........takes a long while for oil to soak in so keep at it...you might get a better finish if you apply the oil with cabinate makers fine grade wire wool, then wipe off and buff

ditch

I agree with Ditch - good advice IMHO :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Before you started, you should have scraped some walnut from the end of the stock with a razor blade and filled the hole with super glue, then mix super glue with the dust, scrape the hole out, then push the wood and glue into it, leaving it proud, then rub off with a flat block and 800 Grit wet and dry, job Done, then get your finish on::