what do you do if pulled by the police?

Why people don't read properly what other people write....................so lets read again....

Posted Today, 12:25 AM

I would not let him touch the shotgun/firearm, I would offer him, part of the gun at one piece at the time, but not the all gun, explaining in a very polite manner of why I wouldn't feel comfortable of him holding the all gun.

Having read your post and the reply you seem to take umbrage at, I really do think it was read properly. Pontificate as you will but if a police officer tells you to hand it over and you refuse, however politely, it's VERY doubtful that the result will be the one that YOU want, and the officer is really unlikely to stand around while you pillock about dismantling it.

Brave words, yes on paper but put into practice?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re the above some are trained to make safe, including soco officers, everytime I have cone across one it gets put in a ballistic bag and taken to someone who can signit as clear, despite being able to clear pretty much any weapon iI am not authorised to do so. unless I can get someone trained to attend the scene to do so first of course . As for authority to posses them its clear in the legislation that police are authorised and makes no difference if fao or not.

Are FEO's even able to remove firearms? round here they are civilians but I have no idea if their job allows them to remove guns.

Why not? You apply for a FAC and buy a rifle. Does training come into it at any stage?

so if you apply for a fac and you have never had any experience or held a gun you wouldn't get one not in s.yorks without a supervision order anyway in the 1st place. Edited by delburt0

You just seem to be a little 'uneducated' shall we say as to the legal cans and cannots mate which is maybe perplexing a few as I suspect they feel you should be a little more educated as (I assume) a cert holder.

Last comment was a bit daft, it's common knowledge that you don't need training of any type to gain an SGC or FAC although obviously things like DSC1 will help if you want a deer calibre.

Are FEO's even able to remove firearms? round here they are civilians but I have no idea if their job allows them to remove guns.

That's a very good question. I would assume that as they're not police officers they can't? They're simply office bods filling out forms and I can't see how they would have the authority?

As for the argument between Del and Charlie... I get the feeling we're never going to see an end to it?! I agree with everything Charlie is saying, but perhaps not the manner in which it is said.

That's a very good question. I would assume that as they're not police officers they can't? They're simply office bods filling out forms and I can't see how they would have the authority?

As for the argument between Del and Charlie... I get the feeling we're never going to see an end to it?! I agree with everything Charlie is saying, but perhaps not the manner in which it is said.

i don't want a disagreement with Charles maybe I should have worded the statement with (anyone without any experience) and not training atb Charlie so sorry if i have offended you xxx Edited by delburt0

Having read your post and the reply you seem to take umbrage at, I really do think it was read properly. Pontificate as you will but if a police officer tells you to hand it over and you refuse, however politely, it's VERY doubtful that the result will be the one that YOU want, and the officer is really unlikely to stand around while you pillock about dismantling it.

Brave words, yes on paper but put into practice?

Really???

So you think, that in the case you get stopped by a police officer and in the case you get asked if he can inspect the firearm, in a very polite way, you would exsplain this.....Officer, would you mind if I break the over and under for you??...so that we will both safe and you can check the barrels number with ease, do you think it would go downhill and getting cuffed??? or you might find a officer that would reply..Thank you for helping...maybe not or maybe yes, its the way you speak to people, that makes a huge difference

Yrs, feo can remove them, civi or not, they are designated persons under pace and have similar powers, in fact the same powers as police when on duty and carrying out their job. Like traffic wardens and uniformed police beingthe oonly people to be able to stop a moving car under the road traffic act, now pcso's can as they are designated and carry the same power.

Confusing in some ways but mindlessly simple in others.

Many many moons ago I was shooting when a copper made an appearance, expecting to hear of some noise complaint or asking to see my licence etc, however he had a brief chat then pointed out a farmer he knew had a problem with rabbits and was home, it might be worth my while popping over and introducing myself

Not all want to seize you gun and revoke your licence and a friendly chat can go a long way in many walks of life

Really???

in a very polite way, you would exsplain this.....Officer, would you mind if I break the over and under for you??...so that we will both safe and you can check the barrels

Thats the route I'd go down but I'd imagine there will be a number of officers out there who wouldn't want you to be the first to handle a weapon for their supposed own safety

We have a local bobby in our area who is well known to all of the shooting community, he is always polite curious and when he turns up its just someone else from the area for a chat. Be polite curious and explain things if pulled over. No need to give attitude etc if your not comfortable with them handling your guns explain you are going to ensure its safe before handing it over. All this protease and d**k measuring is pointless you will end up nicked under section 5 and bye bye tickets. Shooting I still believe is a privalidge, SGS and fac are issued by the police and unfortunately they can take it away.

We have a local bobby in our area who is well known to all of the shooting community, he is always polite curious and when he turns up its just someone else from the area for a chat. Be polite curious and explain things if pulled over. No need to give attitude etc if your not comfortable with them handling your guns explain you are going to ensure its safe before handing it over. All this protease and d**k measuring is pointless you will end up nicked under section 5 and bye bye tickets. Shooting I still believe is a privalidge, SGS and fac are issued by the police and unfortunately they can take it away.

It most certainly is not a privilege.

Everyone, providing they fit the criteria, SHALL be granted a certificate. Note the wording of the act SHALL, it does not say might be, maybe, could be or we will give you this privilege.

Providing they fit the criteria. Section 5 public order offences for gobbling off at the police will soon move you into the not suitable bracket. There is no entitlement to fac that's granted on purpose of need as I'm sure you know.

Really???

So you think, that in the case you get stopped by a police officer and in the case you get asked if he can inspect the firearm, in a very polite way, you would exsplain this.....Officer, would you mind if I break the over and under for you??...so that we will both safe and you can check the barrels number with ease, do you think it would go downhill and getting cuffed??? or you might find a officer that would reply..Thank you for helping...maybe not or maybe yes, its the way you speak to people, that makes a huge difference

Yes really!!!

In most cases they'd be reasonable but there are some that will be anal about it and say "No, give it to me as it is, now" I've had it done to me. I've also had an officer challenge my permission letters saying it could be anybody's signature. My reply to that one (he got my back up) was "Show me your warrant card. Thank you, I'll just phone and check. This could be any computer generated bit of card". Luckily he saw the funny side of it. Basically a copper will tell you what he/she wants you to do. If they're unmovable on it you do it regardless and argue the point later.

Agreed it's the way you speak to them but if they don't want to listen ......................................

so if you apply for a fac and you have never had any experience or held a gun you wouldn't get one not in s.yorks without a supervision order anyway in the 1st place.

Maybe because S. Yorks are deep in the poo and are covering their well padded bumcheeks. But actually yes they would, I know a few. S. Yorks are renowned for their inconsistency and, may I add, notorious for their dishonesty in the past.

After they have told you to carry on, thank them for being so diligent, because it might not have been so clean. You would think that the computer system would let them know that the registered owner of the vehicle was also the owner of firearms. I got stopped about a year ago(outside my front door)because, having just got back into the van with wet clothes on, the side windows were a bit steamed up, other than where I had cleared them to see the wing mirror. I was in the back of the plodmobile and the chap in the front passenger seat was doing the talking. "Are you known to the police?" he asked. "I think I'm known as a reliable informant". I answered. Whereupon, the more experienced driver nearly split his sides laughing.

I got stopped yesterday for suspected speeding, only suspected mind as they had no way of measuring my speed it was just there opinion

. So I pulled over started to speak to them very politely, and the policeman starts ranting and raving, all the while I was trying to bite my tongue. After we had ascertained that there was nothing he could do, and he was just jealous of the car i was driving or he was just having a bad day. The other policeman while looking through my passenger windows sees my shotgun cert. And asks if I am Carrington guns. To which i reply yes, he says are they in the boot and can he see them, yes I replied opened the boot, he looked in the boot and didn't even touch what he thought were shotguns but we're a rifle and fac shotgun. Then just let me go after saying he was going to list my suspected speeding on intelligence, so every anpr camera would be watching me and my speed, i was trying not to laugh at him.

He was just some young jumped up pc given a unmarked car for the day

It most certainly is not a privilege.

Everyone, providing they fit the criteria, SHALL be granted a certificate. Note the wording of the act SHALL, it does not say might be, maybe, could be or we will give you this privilege.

Precisely. That should be embazoned in big red letters on every page of every UK shooting webiste.

J.