Game larder.

Symes

StealthStalker off here made one, but he's a bit handy with the old woodwork side of things.

If it hasn't got a keyboard I probably can't do it ;)

The woodwork side of things is no problem, its more the chilling side of things. Had a search around but can't find something suitable!!

I know some people use old drinks chillers taken from pub refits. If you remove all the shelving you can hang a good sized slab of venison in the larger ones.

I had a look on ebay and found some going for very reasonable money. The bonus is these units are designed to be efficient and have better temperature control than domestic units.

Have been looking in to chillers like the ones in pubs etc. At the moment we have three beasts plus quite a few pheasants, so it would be a case of two or three chillers, or try and make some kind of small game larder, about two meters square.

Making the larder and insulating it etc are'nt a problem, its how we get the temp down inside. All the chiller units i've seen are commercial, so are to big or expensive for the job . ;)

This is gonna sound barmy!

A mate of mine goes shooting on an estate in Northumberland with his mate from Tesco.

The Game keeper was looking for a Larder but the prices were crazy. I said to my Mate "why not get an old refrigerated van"

To which that week a driver for Tesco somewhere in Yorkshire i beleive crashed and wrote off a Chiller van and the Keeper got the Chiller cabinet "complete with condensor" for under £300 ;)

Try ringing about a few salvage yards etc and see whats about you MAY be suprised.

LG

This is gonna sound barmy!

A mate of mine goes shooting on an estate in Northumberland with his mate from Tesco.

The Game keeper was looking for a Larder but the prices were crazy. I said to my Mate "why not get an old refrigerated van"

To which that week a driver for Tesco somewhere in Yorkshire i beleive crashed and wrote off a Chiller van and the Keeper got the Chiller cabinet "complete with condensor" for under �300 :thanks:

Try ringing about a few salvage yards etc and see whats about you MAY be suprised.

LG

I was going to suggest the same :yes::yes: also take a look at trany van size chillers and small van chillers Citroen c15 / berlingo size, most of these run off a pump on the engine or the fridge unit has it's own diesel motor so some work would be required to convert them to 240 / 110 elecy. :unsure:

One chiller and a small insulated shed would be sufficient.Just leave the door open in the shed at this time of year with the condenser tubes exposed to the exterior to cool them and Bob`s your mothers brother :)

HD

Sorry but a chiller dose not work very well outdoors this time of year because there has to be a good temp dif between the inside of the chiller and the tubes.

I have to bring the chiller in when its cold out. but its handy in the Kitchen for christmas.

I want to shoot a Monkey for Christmas dinner which as its cold enough it will get hung in the shed leaving the room in the chiller for BEER :lol:

PELTMAN :lol:

Hi all,

Can someone tell me the main difference in tempriture control between a domestic fridge and a drinks chiller?

I'm considering the purchase of something for personal use, I dont need a big commercial chiller and was leaning towards buying a upright domestic fridge and racking it out.

Most modern fridges I've looked at cool down to +2 degrees. Would this not be enough?

Regards & all the best for Christmas.

Just a thought.

To Keep live sand eels the water temp has to be kept cool in the tank roughly 6C. We would use a beer cooler from pubs; pump the water around the cooler then back into the tanks. Even out in the sun we would have to turn the cooler down as it would make the water too cold.

Now I should imagine that an insulated larder with a radiator in it, being supplied with water from the beer cooler would make a fine cold room. A fluevalve pump could be used to pump the water around the circuit. Would not cost a lot to set up or run either.

Tiercel