Two good days

motty

After having to be at work last weekend and reading about other people's efforts (and some good bags), i was starting to get a little envious. I thought i deserved to get in on the action.

I booked yesterday and today off work to shoot a couple of likely looking fields. One of the fields was on a farm i picked up permission to shoot on last year.The other field was in an area i have had good results from before.

So yesterday i headed off to the new farm and a rape stubble that had been showing a good number of pigeons.The birds had been building up for 4 days. I shot on a nearby barley field last week, which gave me a better idea of where the flightlines were. Armed with this knowledge i could site my hide so as to give me the best possible chance.

My desert net made an appearance again - and it was put out in the open ( no need to hide it).

I fired my first shot just after 10.30am and the action was steady throughout the day. I added a second magnet to my pattern and a turbo flapper, too. Dead birds on cradles (around 5 of them) accompanied the 20 flocked shells that were in use already.

My shooting wasn't up to scratch and i got very annoyed at some of the misses i had. For some reason i kept lifting my head from the stock - infuriating! I did pull of some nice shots and a 2 for 1, which made me feel better.

Despite my poor shooting and using 184 shells, i still enjoyed the day. I managed 101 pigeons and a (fly-bait) feral.

After charging my batteries overnight, i was ready for another go. Today i took a beginner out. I went to a rape stubble closer to home. I arrived at 10.30am, only to find the field was being cultivated. Typical!

The farmer happened to be there and said that it would take the farm worker hours to get to the other side of the field. So that's where i went. I would have preferred to be closer to the middle of the field to get on one of the flightlines better, but i had no other option. The desert net was used again, but just one magnet and my mate David's (the beginner) homemade floater were added to my flocked shells.

The pigeons poured in to start with and we racked up a good few kills early on. David is new to all forms of shooting, and despite being a little unsure of anything at range, he made a decent job of killing birds coming to the decoys. He surprised me with some of the good kills he had.

Of course - being a good pal - i had to show him up a bit. He enjoyed a triple i had and another 2 for 1.

The action slowed up a lot as the afternoon wore on (and the tractors got almost on top of us), and we only needed 1 more to get another ton. We couldn't hold the workers up, though, so we had to pack up with 99 pigeons and a feral.

It was a good day and David thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a shame i didn't insist we met at the field at 9am. There were well over 300 birds already feeding there and we could have had a much better bag. Still, i'm not complaining.

I have to say Motty that you are very brave in setting up in the middle of a field as you do. I have considered it of late to shoot a 70 acre rape stubble but so far I have declined. As the birds enter the field very high and always land in the middle of it your way seems to be the most sensible option.

WOW!! My Essex Birds wouldn't come near that thing. Oh I see, Norfolk...........

Mr Theobald doesn't seem to have a problem when he sets a hide this way.

I'll have to put a video up from the day those pictures were taken - If i can find out how to make the gopro footage look good on youtube.

Edited by motty