Insurance before shooting?

Hi all,

We've just bought our first SG's and plan to have our first 'on our own' clay shoot on Sunday. My wife seems to think that we need to show a liability insurance cert before we'll be allowed to use the club.

Is this correct? We plan on getting insurance anyway but thought about waiting for the next game fair as discounts are generally offered (BASC etc).

Thanks.

Personally I would get insurance before you shoot. I have never been asked to show my insurance although I do shoot a lot of registered shoots and of course I have a cpsa number to do that and therefore by default have insurance.

in fact it is not compulsory to have insurance although a person would have to be a complete moron not to have insurance. I think insurance at clubs such as say Southdown are for those who own it, their liability should anything happen on their premises, or when they have people who are "having a go" or a lesson. Clubs which are made up of a group of individuals who run and own the shoot get cover for their club but are insured as individuals under the club insurance and yes guests are covered as long as their name and address are logged and kept before they shoot but I think individuals whilst apparently they are not compelled to get insurance SHOULD get insurance for their liability in any unfortunate incident that may occur.

That's the way I understand it.

I've never had to show my insurance and as somebody mentioned, most clay clubs will have insurance to cover you when shooting at that ground.

Personally I think that you would be crazy to shoot without your own insurance, given the relatively low cost and the huge benefits if something does go wrong.

orry but I still think the Club's insurance is to cover their liability if something turns out to be their fault but if an accident turn's out to be an individual shooter's fault I think they would need the back up of their own insurance as the club would not be liable. May be their is a club owner on here that could clarify how it works. If a club is in charge of an individual during a lesson or a have a go then their insurance would cover that individual.

If the ground has a section 11(6) exemption then insurance is unlikely required to attend, join BASC anyway far more than insurance and keep everything neat and tidy, spend £3k on guns and waiting to get a discount on insurance :/

Edited by HDAV

If the ground has a section 11(6) exemption then insurance is unlikely required to attend, join BASC anyway far more than insurance and keep everything neat and tidy, spend £3k on guns and waiting to get a discount on insurance :/

I agree regarding saving a few pennies when you have already paid out a substantial amount for the gun but doesn't section 11(e) exemption really relate to being able to shoot without a licence rather than anything to do with insurance?

Hmmmm, looking at it that way does make my OP sound a bit silly doesn't it?!

I'll buy it today.....

*8.00am UPDATE* - Sorted!!

Edited by junctiontwo

I used to shoot regulary at Hereford and Worcester. As far as I can remember I was never asked for proof of insurance. Also never asked at any other clubs in Worcestershire. However in my oppinion its is good practice to have insurance. Im with Countryside Alliance, half price offer last year and that wasnt at a game fair.

Have you shot at any other clubs in Worcestershire?

Although I would urge u to buy membership of one of the various shoot bodies - BASC, CA, CPSA etc - you might like to check your HHold covers as the vast majority include liability covers for policyholder and members of h/hold. There are one or two newer companies (who shooters should avoid) who specifically exclude but this, or was when I was an underwriter, but as we so vv rarely claim this is unlikely to have changed.

The only condition to your HH cover which may be an issue to others reading this is that cover would not be in force if you are paid to shoot - in the unlikely event of a farmer paying you to shoot rabbits/pigeons!!

Although I would urge u to buy membership of one of the various shoot bodies - BASC, CA, CPSA etc - you might like to check your HHold covers as the vast majority include liability covers for policyholder and members of h/hold. There are one or two newer companies (who shooters should avoid) who specifically exclude but this, or was when I was an underwriter, but as we so vv rarely claim this is unlikely to have changed.The only condition to your HH cover which may be an issue to others reading this is that cover would not be in force if you are paid to shoot - in the unlikely event of a farmer paying you to shoot rabbits/pigeons!!

You sound like you might be the guy to ask about who is a good provider for home insurance....lol

I used to shoot regulary at Hereford and Worcester. As far as I can remember I was never asked for proof of insurance. Also never asked at any other clubs in Worcestershire. However in my oppinion its is good practice to have insurance. Im with Countryside Alliance, half price offer last year and that wasnt at a game fair.

Have you shot at any other clubs in Worcestershire?

Only South Worcester Shooting Ground which was my first ever clay shoot a few months ago, and the one that got me hooked. That's another possibility for this Sunday as they have a shoot day!

Although I would urge u to buy membership of one of the various shoot bodies - BASC, CA, CPSA etc - you might like to check your HHold covers as the vast majority include liability covers for policyholder and members of h/hold. There are one or two newer companies (who shooters should avoid) who specifically exclude but this, or was when I was an underwriter, but as we so vv rarely claim this is unlikely to have changed.

The only condition to your HH cover which may be an issue to others reading this is that cover would not be in force if you are paid to shoot - in the unlikely event of a farmer paying you to shoot rabbits/pigeons!!

I bought the insurance a.m and straight afterwards thought about my HH policy! Ah well, you can't have too much can you?!

As for a farmer paying me...................I could never shoot a pigeon! Well not yet anyway.....

If you want insurance cover have a look at these guys. http://www.ccc3.org.uk/home

It's simple and you get cover straight away. 1 Fill in online form. 2 Pay by card online. 3 Download and print off your certificate of insurance.

I rang up to ask a question and and a pleasant lady answered with the info I required immediately.

It's about £30 a year fullly comp for everything.

Interesting - I know from work I was involved on that shooters are a very very good risk - by virtue of the various checks etc we are possibly one of the most law-abiding sectors of society and non-litigeous - so no surprise there is such a product out there. However we all need to support BASC, CA etc to get our voices heard.

Have a look at the National Gamekeepers Organisation. There membership package is just as good as BASC and considerably less.

Thanks for that, I'm due to renew. I joined the Countryside alliance last year due to discounts but it obviously goes up in hte second year.