Pike lures

.philmypower.

Out of interest, what size lures would you use on these big still waters?

in my opinion it depends on the situation and the prey fish present. some of the above dawgs,replicants etc can be 6 to 10 inches long and weigh a good couple of ounce or so. personally i would fish these in deeper water in colder months and prefer to fish the surface layers in bays etc. lures shaped like frogs and mice, lures that rattle and even plain black lures can play ther part at any given time etc.

the rapala shad rap is a versatile lure that can replace an assortment. the shad rap i use is approx 7 " long and fairly light with a diving vain that will force it deeper when retrieved faster :good:

Thanks.

I have fished gravel pits before, years ago, but tend to only fish rivers now so was just curious.

The red/white jointed Abu Hi-Lo has worked well for me back then, I dug it out again a few years ago when we bought a day on the Test.

No one was more surprised than me when I caught a 15lb'er on it :|

Took me a while to get used to these, but they for me at least have put some nice pike on the bank. At least half of the bigger fish have hit the lure on the drop in deeper water . It works on the drop because of the tail shape.

I use mostly the 30cm versions, on faster flowing rivers it is worth adding extra weight to the jig head, but lakes it is fine.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yVXO6_xLONg

Try swimbaits, not been piking for some time but had some very hard hits with those and simalar on some big waters trolling in Ireland. 190mm and 55gram they are very life like,The lipped ones will dive to about 5-8ft The first take was just 30 seconds after hitting the water, only an 8 pounder but a nice fish, i thought i had snagged on something, not expecting a take that soon.

Well just to let you all know how I got on, I bloody blanked. Had a nice jack around 8lb got it to the boat, about to chin it and it came off the hook, so couldn't count that one. My brother caught a nice rainbow 3lb and 2 jacks. It was really hard going, windy and rain but we still had a great day. Will be going back for another go soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Well just to let you all know how I got on, I bloody blanked. Had a nice jack around 8lb got it to the boat, about to chin it and it came off the hook, so couldn't count that one. My brother caught a nice rainbow 3lb and 2 jacks. It was really hard going, windy and rain but we still had a great day. Will be going back for another go soon.

Thats not a blank fella, you'd have put it back anyway.

The pike is no more vulnerable to being caught in the summer than any other fish as long as it is handled well and returned quickly. There is a myth perpetuated that they don't feed as much in the summer! Tosh! Some of the best piking I have had is in the summer. Tight lines.

Spot on...they usually fatten up in the summer and in my experience fight like crazy....both my best river and lake pike at 27 and 35 lbs have been taken in July and August respectively.

I think anglers perceive Winter to be the Pike and Perch season because not much else feeds during the colder months.