Mystery solved for a miss...

Missed what should have been an easy fox earlier in the week and even earlier I had a round that was hard to extract (unfired), but just thought it was a random round as others chambered and extracted OK. It looks as though I got a bit of grit in the chamber :oops: I noticed others would not extract easy and on inspection found a couple of gouges on the copper

Anyway I`m hoping that a good clean will sort it out :/ Keep your ammunition and firearms clean guys!

post-1301-0-71486200-1376648472_thumb.jpg

Henry ,that certainly looks like it needs a good clean . Very distinctive marks on the cartridge from a dirty chamber . It has been very dusty on my farms here in Norfolk and it wont take much to ingest dust and grit into the chamber . If you keep your ammo in a pocket it could be getting contaminated from your jacket pocket ,turn your pocket inside out and see if there is any grit there.

Harnser .

Henry ,that certainly looks like it needs a good clean . Very distinctive marks on the cartridge from a dirty chamber . It has been very dusty on my farms here in Norfolk and it wont take much to ingest dust and grit into the chamber . If you keep your ammo in a pocket it could be getting contaminated from your jacket pocket ,turn your pocket inside out and see if there is any grit there.

Harnser .

Because the marks go around as opposed to along the neck, I'll wager they're 'polishing' marks.

Based upon personal -and quite frightening - experience, dependent upon their design, check the extractor claws for any sign of damage, ie look for any chips.

Marks on case are from the green plastic scourers for doing the dishes. I think the grit came from me getting caught lying out for a fox in a heavy rain storm and there was some mud/grit on the underside of the mod and barrel, so I suppose there could have been other bits near the magazine or when cleaning I have got it into the chamber. My rounds are kept in a wallet so this minimises any contact with fluff etc in pockets.

I see your point but you can buy brass wire wool,(still an issue though) on the other hand just wipe them when you finished loading, that case does look rather rustic using that green scourer.

The scourers are very good if you want a nice shiny case, but just don't use them until they're useless for doing the pans, or, in the words of our old drill sergeant, " look as limp as a w****d off lettuce".

personally I can't see the need for scrubbing cases, mine get cleaned in the ultrasonic cleaner and just used, yes they look tarnished but they work absolutely fine.

Fingers crossed the fox meets its maker, I had one I missed at 15 yards not so long ago. Mixture of issues next doors lamp making it jumpy from 700 yards away, only a meter strip to shoot it in etc etc I wasn't happy, caught up with it on Thursday though the beauty of night vision didn't have any idea what was coming

I might be missing something but what is the link to the dirty chamber and missing the fox?

I have had extraction issues on the range with my .222 recently too but it doesn't affect accuracy at all

That said those rounds do look very long. I actually had better results the shorter the OAL got from the "1x caliber" seating depth I started with (mine are 55.5mm

sinking into the lands will just make extraction even more tricky and I am not convinced it is normally the most accurate depth

I resorted to polishing my chamber with a modified case and some autosol! definitely made a difference

I think I may have been transferring grit from the chamber into the throat of the rifle and this may have something to do with the miss and the sticking bolt when ejecting an unfired round was part of me wanting to find out what was wrong.

The round is 20thou off the lands (and there is plenty in the case too) and as a precaution I moved them back another 20 and still get circa 1/2" groups at 100yds so that is good enough for me.