Blueberry Gin

Lord Geordie

Well I made a batch od blueberry gin with the intention of having it over Christmas. In my forgetful ignorance I forgot all about it until today. I opened the cupboard to fetch some sugar for making Sloe Gin, and there it was!

So of course while bottling it I HAD to have a sample. Oh boy is it good :yes:

I set my Sloe gin away today and that should be ready for Christmas too. I have the job of making the toffee vodka next week too. gonna be a merry time this year :lol:

Is it a bit early to pick the sloe's I wait til after the first frost?

No sloes locally here. The dodgy weather caused the flowers to fall off "much like june drop" and the bushes have very few berries.

I am using my frozen ones from last year. I am using more berries and less sugar as I want the crisp taste of the gin and a hint of fruit. I followed a recipie last time and it was way too sweet. This time it should be crisp and warming :yes:

Here is my tupence worth!

I dont drink my Sloe gin until its 3yrs old. Ive found after 3yrs it doesnt seem to get any better and I have some Blueberry 5/7yrs old and Sloe etc. If you can fill 3 Demijohns with Sloe gin wait one year and filter them,I use coffee filters which makes it very clear.

You can pour two bottles of med dry sherry into each Demi and make Sloesherry takes about three months. Or take all the stones out chop them up add to chocolate and make Liquer chocolate. Or freeze them and add to Trifles or Christmas puddings.

Make one new Demijohn and drink one of the three thats a year old,do the same next year and so on till you end up that they will be 3yrs every time you drink one. You will also taste the difference as it matures over the years.

They say you shouldnt pick Sloes until the first frost which is probably correct. Try this, I pick them when you can eat them and they are sweet,trouble is theres a thin red line between them being sweet and all of them falling off the trees. On a good year pick 3 times more than you need and freeze them as you will get years that there are none at all.

If all of the above fails you can buy it in the Supermarket? ???

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with bill425g6 above !! I left some "Brewing" in a jar for about 2 1/2 years............it was such a different drink !!!! A more refined taste, not so sweet !!!

Must start looking for sloes soon........I have recently moved, so need to have a scout around !!!

Wish me luck :ninja:

Got damson gin from 2yrs ago brewing nicely and this years wild cherries in brandy (removed pits) and already tasting wonderful.

Try leaving the pits in. My father does this with wild cherries in gin and the pits actually add a slight almond flavour. Don't know what it would taste like in brandy but it's worth a go.

• 2 weeks later...