Wildfowling Season 2013-2014

Wildfowler325

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I agree with Kent that no 3 would not be the steel shot of my choice for geese ( BB or BBB is my prefered choice ) its an unescapeable fact that I have done rather well at greylags in the past few years with Gamebore mammoths in no 3. While duck shooting I have had greylag come over and with no time to change shells in my S\A have let the geese come well in before shooting and most have come down. But in the majority of cases the greylags have not been dead , but all have been badly hit and most unable to attempt to escape. Its true the majority of shots have been between 30 and 40 yards , but there was one high grey that I shot at 50 yards that caught me by surprise and tumbled to my shot. In hindsight perhaps I should not have shot , but it came over from behind and I took an instinctive snap shot. It was head shot and as usual not dead , but unable to swim , giving my dog an easy retrieve from the duck decoys. Over the last couple of years I have probably had about 40 shots using no 3 steel at greylags and put 35 of them in the bag.

We have all taken a few geese down with no.3 steel I did similar to your actions when I couldn't get the duck shells out fast enough, the Goose a large Canada came down dead in the air (one pellet entering the underside of his head clean into the brain) at the end of the flight a guy came over to comment and ask "what the heck I brought it down with?" I admit to fibbing and saying BBB! The shot I admit should never have been taken. But 35 out of 40 shots out to 50yds max on geese is a very, very high percentage regardless of shot size.

FYI no.3 steel leaving the muzzle at 1300 fps carries 1.9 ft/lb at 50 yds (about what number 5 steel retians at 30yds yet should someone suggest shooting duck with number 5 steel he will get lambasted) - the patterns will be way better and the quarry much easier to kill though! Also don't forget it has less resistance to penetration at minimum speeds through reduced frontal area! So it does need a heap of luck to get into that critical area with number 3 and get a kill on a big goose. BBB caries near 7 ft/lb again at the same start speed / range and just a few into the bulk of the bird is likely going to get the job done, never mind any lucky ones into the head and neck. Now reduce that range to a more real 40 yds and its 2.5 ft lb against 9 ft/lb (this is why bigger shot is the right thing in steel).

Edited by kent

Out this morning...first day in Wales.Lot of mallard about and a suprising amount of Widgeon.First chance was at a lone Greylag 30 yds above me-only to have a misfire!

Gutted to say the least.Finished the morning with 3 Mallard and 2 widgeon.

Good friend Tus managed 2 nice Drake Mallard and lost one.Great morning to be out and a very nice wind to keep them down was a bonus.

Cheers

Tony

Out this morning...first day in Wales.Lot of mallard about and a suprising amount of Widgeon.First chance was at a lone Greylag 30 yds above me-only to have a misfire!

Gutted to say the least.Finished the morning with 3 Mallard and 2 widgeon.

Good friend Tus managed 2 nice Drake Mallard and lost one.Great morning to be out and a very nice wind to keep them down was a bonus.

Cheers

Tony

Good shooting tony :good:

So it does need a heap of luck to get into that critical area with number 3 and get a kill on a big goose. BBB caries near 7 ft/lb again at the same start speed / range and just a few into the bulk of the bird is likely going to get the job done, never mind any lucky ones into the head and neck. Now reduce that range to a more real 40 yds and its 2.5 ft lb against 9 ft/lb (this is why bigger shot is the right thing in steel).

Well Anser2 knows me

LUCK using Steel 3's to cleanly kill Geese !!!!! No what you need is shooting ability to constantly hit them up front RATHER than mid body to **** end and anytime you want to see Geese cleanly consistently killed at 50yd using 36g Steel 3's give us a shout as I've shot one or two Geese and still do. I'm NOT looking for a slanging match just pointing out TRUE facts rather ballistic mathematics Learn your range learn to shoot and keep it Real. Oh would you use BBB to shoot Snipe !!!!! NO well a goose head ain't much bigger and that the target we should ALL try to The Goose HEAD Have a good season

So it does need a heap of luck to get into that critical area with number 3 and get a kill on a big goose. BBB caries near 7 ft/lb again at the same start speed / range and just a few into the bulk of the bird is likely going to get the job done, never mind any lucky ones into the head and neck. Now reduce that range to a more real 40 yds and its 2.5 ft lb against 9 ft/lb (this is why bigger shot is the right thing in steel).

LUCK using Steel 3's to cleanly kill Geese !!!!! No what you need is shooting ability to constantly hit them up front RATHER than mid body to **** end and anytime you want to see Geese cleanly consistently killed at 50yd using 36g Steel 3's give us a shout as I've shot one or two Geese and still do. I'm NOT looking for a slanging match just pointing out TRUE facts rather ballistic mathematics Learn your range learn to shoot and keep it Real. Oh would you use BBB to shoot Snipe !!!!! NO well a goose head ain't much bigger and that the target we should ALL try to The Goose HEAD Have a good season

I disagree, with steel because its light you need a bigger pellet to carry the energy to the target. At 50yards steel 3's have very little energy to kill geese clean every time! Anser2 will have much more experience shooting geese as you stated yourself you've only shot 1-2 geese. When using steel the bigger the pellet the better. As geese are large birds that need a lot of energy on target to ensure a clean kill!

I disagree, with steel because its light you need a bigger pellet to carry the energy to the target. At 50yards steel 3's have very little energy to kill geese clean every time! Anser2 will have much more experience shooting geese as you stated yourself you've only shot 1-2 geese. When using steel the bigger the pellet the better. As geese are large birds that need a lot of energy on target to ensure a clean kill!

Please read my reply and understand it correctly.I'm NOT into peeing contests. 1-2 means I've shot a lot in fact All over Scotland Foreshore Inland and Islands England Foreshore and England oh is 43 years doing it enough experience????? And since English lead ban nothing but Steel 3 shot and a few Steel 2 shot have killed cleanly Canada Grey-Lag Whitefront and Pinkfeet. I mentioned Anser2 as he knows me and seen what and how I shoot.

Please read my reply and understand it correctly.I'm NOT into peeing contests. 1-2 means I've shot a lot in fact All over Scotland Foreshore Inland and Islands England Foreshore and England oh is 43 years doing it enough experience????? And since English lead ban nothing but Steel 3 shot and a few Steel 2 shot have killed cleanly Canada Grey-Lag Whitefront and Pinkfeet. I mentioned Anser2 as he knows me and seen what and how I shoot.

Pretty sure steel 1's BB and BBB kill just as good if not better and thats its not just 3's that kill clean

Pretty sure steel 1's BB and BBB kill just as good if not better and thats its not just 3's that kill clean

Never said 1-bb or BBB don't kill BUT so do 4-5-6 or 7's IF you hit in the Head !!!!! Oh well can't help or educate some people. Enjoy your Season using WHATEVER YOU feel is best.

I dont shoot 7's at pigeons let alone geese! Using 7's on geese will just cause cripples! And before the say " hit it ine the HEAD!!!!!!" Steel 7's at 30 yards have 1.3ft/lb of energy and 0.9 ft/lb of energy at 50 yards! Sorry but that is totally unacceptable to shoot geese with 7's. people like you are a disgrace to the sport think that is acceptable! Have a good season crippling and pricking geese :)

I think Stalkerboydy is saying that ideally we should be using a denser pattern of smaller shot and aim to hit them in the head and neck for consistent clean kills.

Difficult to argue against that but not all of us are as good a shot as Boyd (rumour has it than he can shoot a bit) so have to compromise by going to a bigger shot size to ensure enough pellet energy to kill with body hits.

Or just use Hevi shot threes and you have both pattern density and energy :yes:

Edited by scolopax

I dont shoot 7's at pigeons let alone geese! Using 7's on geese will just cause cripples! And before the say " hit it ine the HEAD!!!!!!" Steel 7's at 30 yards have 1.3ft/lb of energy and 0.9 ft/lb of energy at 50 yards! Sorry but that is totally unacceptable to shoot geese with 7's. people like you are a disgrace to the sport think that is acceptable! Have a good season crippling and pricking geese :)

I don't think it's unacceptable to shoot geese with any shotsize, as long as the end result is a dead goose. I get fed up with people whining about me (and others) using 7.5s on pigeons, but the fact is i kill lots of pigeons with them.

If you can get a good clean kill on a goose, it matters not what load/shotsize you've fired at it.

AT LAST. Thank you Scolopax and Motty TWO fowler's who understood me Oh Wildfowler325 again learn read Where did say ANYTHING about using STEEl 7's !!!!! Mind you Monday evening I got LUCKY I had 6 shot got 3 Right an Left at Grey-lag guess what I killed them CLEANLY with 15/16oz of STEEL THREE shot out of my 20ga ,:):):):)

I don't think it's unacceptable to shoot geese with any shotsize, as long as the end result is a dead goose. I get fed up with people whining about me (and others) using 7.5s on pigeons, but the fact is i kill lots of pigeons with them.

If you can get a good clean kill on a goose, it matters not what load/shotsize you've fired at it.

Totally agree with this a good point. When I was about 13-14 years old one of the keepers on the shoot never used anything but 7s for all his shooting on the shoot and he use to shoot some high birds I can say. And stone dead they were to.

It depends on the individuals ability to shoot as well as the cartridge he is using. It's not all down to shot size.

When shooting geese it can help to use a bigger shot especially if your not bang on every time as it gives you a bit of help in case of a misplaced shot.

All down to personal preference and what suites your shooting style.

Edited by Barls2-9-12

Well I had a group of around 20 mallard over the top of me on Monday..popped up to get my 3 ducks ;) and I got cramp in my leg! Could barely move never mind swing a gun :lol:

Agree small shot sizes to head work. Shot quite a few geese with 30 gram 6's whilst pheasant shooting. BUT you don't get any leeway if you get it wrong. And once you stretch range, I'm glad of the larger shot sizes

Edited by wildfowler.250

ps is this the "wildfowling" closed group on fb. This whole thread has gone a wee bit off track

????????? NO swearing NO name calling just a Healthy debate is that not what Forums are about and hopefully learn something!!!! In spite of 40+years Fowling I STILL LEARN the problem I've found with Type and Text it does get taken the WRONG way a lot of the time

Yeah you're missing my point a little. Thought "wildfowling season" would be pictures and posts of how folk got on and not a debate on "bag limits" for several pages,(although I have read it with interest and commented). Just a thought :good:

Well I've missed the point COMPLETELY as I've NOT seen or mentioned BAG LIMITS. But DID post I had a good First Evening ( inline with the Title of thread) as for Pics I Don't Know how to put them on PW also if you have read my posts " I'm NOT" into peeing contests eg look at my Pics I've shot this I've shot. And Yes I've seen some cracking Photos on here and enjoyed seeing.