Can I shoot?

Michaeli

Hi guys,

So the main question is can I shoot ducks and geese with an FAC Air rifle?

I have a small permission that is on the River Trent and we get allot of Canadian Geese all year round and allot of ducks sitting out our banks and boat slipways.

The geese cause problems as they cr*p every were and it's not good when trying to launch boats etc.

So can I shoot them?

What is the law with shooting wildfowl with rifles whilst on the ground?

Would I have to use non-toxic shot? Bearing in mind I will be shooting them at about 20-30 yards with pellets (so not as much lead shot as will shot guns)

Dont want to go shooting them if Im not aloud.

Hopefully someone will get what I mean and be able to help.

Thanks

Michael

Well firstly..in my opinion, a FAC airgun isn't suitable to shoot ducks and geese.

Secondly, it would depend on what your airgun was conditioned for on your certificate. I'm assuming vermin control. You could possibly shoot canada geese as vermin but you have to try other methods to deter the birds before you move onto shooting them, (and that's IF they are actually causing a problem).

As to lead shot. I believe it doesnt matter if you are using a single projectile i.e. airgun pellet/rifle bullet.

I would use a shotgun and do it properly if you are wanting to hunt wildfowl

You definitely won't be allowed to shoot ducks with a FAC airgun

:good:

Edited by wildfowler.250

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. I know my licence says ground game etc so thining about it that would be the Ducks out of question.

I do have a shoot gun and non toxic shot but its a no shotgun permission. I would be shooting towards a foot path the other side of the river (60-80 yards away) and a few other reasons.

As for the geese then they do cause a problem but no we have not tryed any other methods.

Thanks for you help and i will knock this one on the head and stick to the rabbits.

Thanks

Michael

You would firstly need it as a condition on your FAC. I know a few lads with Canada geese listed on rifles up to .243 win. However shooting duck and non vermin geese with a rifle will get you bad mouthed by most sportsmen, I doubt an FAC airgun is adequate for geese like Canadas they can weigh in equal to a fox and have smaller kill zones well covered in some of the best insulating feathers in the bird world.

You would firstly need it as a condition on your FAC. I know a few lads with Canada geese listed on rifles up to .243 win. However shooting duck and non vermin geese with a rifle will get you bad mouthed by most sportsmen, I doubt an FAC airgun is adequate for geese like Canadas they can weigh in equal to a fox and have smaller kill zones well covered in some of the best insulating feathers in the bird world.

Sub 12ftlbs is adequate with a head shot... I'm in now way saying anybody should shoot any geese with air rifles though!

Sub 12ftlbs is adequate with a head shot... I'm in now way saying anybody should shoot any geese with air rifles though!

[/qu

Be interesting to hear how many Geese you have actually shot. Head is meaningless if its not Brain, do you know were that is in that big head? and how small it actually is? A mature Canada will stretch the scales down to equal to that of a fox, are you saying shoot fox with 12 ft lb? All true wildfowlers have seen just how much a goose like a Canada or Greylag can realy soak up, its certainly a lot harder to finish a big wounded goose by hand than something the size of a Rabbit(normal max airgun quarry)

Ok airguns have killed things far bigger than a goose (even air pistols have tragically killed) but to use one on a goose is just plain inhumane, besides anything else it would have to be a tame or flightless one to get close enough

Yes, I have owned and hunted with modern air rifles 12ftlb and FAC. There are two in the safe now but quarry stops at rabbit (no bigger) regardless of 12 ftlb or 40 ftlb. If I had to shoot Geese with a rifle I should start at .22 WMR minimum and shoot through the backbone etc. for high percentage one shot kills not the head as the Brain is too small inside that highly mobile scull

[/qu

Be interesting to hear how many Geese you have actually shot. Head is meaningless if its not Brain, do you know were that is in that big head? and how small it actually is? A mature Canada will stretch the scales down to equal to that of a fox, are you saying shoot fox with 12 ft lb? All true wildfowlers have seen just how much a goose like a Canada or Greylag can realy soak up, its certainly a lot harder to finish a big wounded goose by hand than something the size of a Rabbit(normal max airgun quarry)

Ok airguns have killed things far bigger than a goose (even air pistols have tragically killed) but to use one on a goose is just plain inhumane, besides anything else it would have to be a tame or flightless one to get close enough

Yes, I have owned and hunted with modern air rifles 12ftlb and FAC. There are two in the safe now but quarry stops at rabbit (no bigger) regardless of 12 ftlb or 40 ftlb. If I had to shoot Geese with a rifle I should start at .22 WMR minimum and shoot through the backbone etc. for high percentage one shot kills not the head as the Brain is too small inside that highly mobile scull

When Canadas get inland and numbers build I can see why some shoot them as vermin LEGALLY with rifles, net them etc. what I am getting at is air rifle aint the tool and head shots are a total misnomer - its brain shot! anything but a direct hit into the main part of the brain will likely wound. I shouldn't even bother at 5yds personally. Your talking one big tough bird here, with a tiny brain in a big head. I shall leave the subject coz until you have actually hunted these things regular you cannot appreciate the punishment they can soak up.

I completely agree with you Kent. Iv'e shot canada geese and know first hand that them B52's of the bird world can indeed soak up some serious punishment.

What i'm trying to say is that a 12ftlb air rifle,firing a 14 grain pellet into the BRAIN as you are quite correct,is enough to kill one. A 12ftlb air gun is also quite capable of killing a person i'm quite sure you'll agree.

I wouldn't shoot one with an air rifle Kent as i'm sure most people wouldn't,i was just saying an airgun is capable with the correct brain shot. Iv'e not posted to upset you,offend you or anybody else for that matter and i apologize to you and anybody else that has taken this the wrong way and thinks i shoot geese with an air rifle.

I DO NOT NOR CONDONE THE SHOOTING OF GEESE WITH AIRGUNS!!

I completely agree with you Kent. Iv'e shot canada geese and know first hand that them B52's of the bird world can indeed soak up some serious punishment.

What i'm trying to say is that a 12ftlb air rifle,firing a 14 grain pellet into the BRAIN as you are quite correct,is enough to kill one. A 12ftlb air gun is also quite capable of killing a person i'm quite sure you'll agree.

I wouldn't shoot one with an air rifle Kent as i'm sure most people wouldn't,i was just saying an airgun is capable with the correct brain shot. Iv'e not posted to upset you,offend you or anybody else for that matter and i apologize to you and anybody else that has taken this the wrong way and thinks i shoot geese with an air rifle.

I DO NOT NOR CONDONE THE SHOOTING OF GEESE WITH AIRGUNS!!

Neither do I, but I have done it and it works, I have also shot Canadas with .22lr, HMR, WMR and many centrefires, even the odd one with a shot gun.

They all work if you do it right, NONE work if you don't!

Kent has got a little emotive here, I shoot lots of Canada geese and I remove plenty of Canada Goose heads with HMR and V Max, for general shot (virtually anywhere) and drop them, the WMR with a V Max is superb!

If anyone asked me about shooting them with a 12ft lb air gun the general response is, its the wrong tool, but they cannot keep soaking up punishment with one if you hit them in the right place, they fall down, flap their wings a second and deposit copious quantities of claret over the golf course from the hole in their head! Many animals bleed a lot from headshots, not really a surprise, but the Canada seems to bleed disproportionally I find quite often. :good:

Edited by Dekers

As for the geese then they do cause a problem but no we have not tryed any other methods.

Shooting Canada geese as pests is always an emotive and controversial subject on PW - but just for the record you do not need to try non lethal methods first as they are listed as an invasive non-native species.

I would read the appropriate General Licence (there are more than one and if you were ever challenged it would be wise to know which GL you were shooting them under and be aware of it's contents http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/regulation/wildlife/licences/generallicences.aspx#2013 ).

i have vermin for my 22ppc rifle,the ppc is almost a 22.250 in velocity,canadas are now classed as vermin so by rights i can shoot geese with this rifle,but i am part wildfowler my self and i do believe geese should be shot in season with a shot gun as thats the way its always been,an fac air rifle in the right hands can easily hit a goose in the brain at 40,50 yard ,if the person has it on his licence and is legal i suppose its every one to there own,cheers simon.....

No as far as I understand you can't shoot wildfowl with any single projectile firing weapon. You can only hunt species under the general license with an air rifle. Basically this means anything that is not governed by a "season".

i have vermin for my 22ppc rifle,the ppc is almost a 22.250 in velocity,canadas are now classed as vermin so by rights i can shoot geese with this rifle,but i am part wildfowler my self and i do believe geese should be shot in season with a shot gun as thats the way its always been,an fac air rifle in the right hands can easily hit a goose in the brain at 40,50 yard ,if the person has it on his licence and is legal i suppose its every one to there own,cheers simon.....

Are they non-toxic bullets?

It is against the law to use any lead on any wildfowl or to fire it over a designated wetland.

From http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2170/made

Prohibition on use of cartridges containing lead shot

3. No person shall use lead shot for the purpose of shooting with a shot gun

(a)on or over any area below high-water mark of ordinary spring tides;

( b )on or over any site of special scientific interest included in Schedule 1 to these Regulations; or

( c )any wild bird included in Schedule 2 to these Regulations.

Edited by HW682

Neither do I, but I have done it and it works, I have also shot Canadas with .22lr, HMR, WMR and many centrefires, even the odd one with a shot gun.

They all work if you do it right, NONE work if you don't!

Kent has got a little emotive here, I shoot lots of Canada geese and I remove plenty of Canada Goose heads with HMR and V Max, for general shot (virtually anywhere) and drop them, the WMR with a V Max is superb!

If anyone asked me about shooting them with a 12ft lb air gun the general response is, its the wrong tool, but they cannot keep soaking up punishment with one if you hit them in the right place, they fall down, flap their wings a second and deposit copious quantities of claret over the golf course from the hole in their head! Many animals bleed a lot from headshots, not really a surprise, but the Canada seems to bleed disproportionally I find quite often. :good:

The reason for that blood loss is the heart is still pumping (think on that). I am 100% that the RSPCA could build a nice tidy case against anyone using an airgun for cruelty. Heck yes emotive there must be a stack of kids reading this who might be naïve enough to try it

Yes, correct and few realise that.

I consider myself a competent shot (after proving that competitively) I couldn't do that with my old FAC rapid unless the bird was fastened by the upper neck to a stationary object while I shot at it (the brain is small within that big boney head) yet I could shoot 12 bore cases end on shot after shot at 50yds

I consider myself a competent shot (after proving that competitively) I couldn't do that with my old FAC rapid unless the bird was fastened by the upper neck to a stationary object while I shot at it (the brain is small within that big boney head) yet I could shoot 12 bore cases end on shot after shot at 50yds

i suppose we all have certain standards,i still don't shoot geese with rifles but if i had to i know i could pull off these shots,cheers simon.....

i suppose we all have certain standards,i still don't shoot geese with rifles but if i had to i know i could pull off these shots,cheers simon.....

I should like to say you have my admiration, however under these circumstances ............ targets and quarry are very different things. Best advice I ever received is halve your ability on live quarry in the field. I will resolve to dissect a goose head and post a picture of the brain inside (though I am no picture poster)