Hello pigeon watch!!! Another newbie here....

simonix

Just wanted to say hello to everyone.

I'm new to the sport, but hooked already after frequenting my local clay ground with lessons etc (kibworth)! I think I may have a little bit of beginners luck which has helped my enthusiasm as I managed 17 out of 25 clays on my first lesson! I would have been happy just hitting one so I was very chuffed!

I'm just waiting on my SGC to be posted out. Leics police have been fantastic and providing my FEO is true to his word, it will be here by the end of the week only 12 or so days since applying! Fingers crossed!

In the meantime I'm looking at 2nd hand shotguns at the moment and wondered if I could ask for a little advice?

As a newbie, is it worth me getting a multi choke gun, or will a fixed choke do? I will mainly be shooting clays, although would like to do some pigeon and possibly have an opportunity for a couple of beater shooting days coming up.

Many thanks in advance, and looking forward to indulging myself in the wealth of knowledge on this forum!

Si, from Rutland.

Thanks for the tips and the welcomes.

I've been looking at some browning medallists as they're going relatively cheap 2nd hand. I've read that they aren't made in the same place as other models such as the b325, 525, etc. Gould I be concerned about quality/reliability with this model?

Thanks for the kind welcome guys.

So I went to the clay ground this morning before work to try some 2nd hand guns on sale.

Tried a silver pigeon, Winchester select, browning 325, 425, and 525.

It appears that the guns that seems to "feel" right to me are the Brownings. I actually prefer the look of the beretta, but as I keep reading on various sites/forums, GUN FIT, GUN FIT, GUN FIT! Haha.

I'm going to up my budget a little and go for a 425 I think. All exciting stuff though. Can't wait to have a gun of my own!

Hiya and welcome to the mad house.

:yahoo::welcomeani::yahoo:

It's a very addictive sport. Good advise regarding semi-autos. If you get to go pigeon shooting you will see the benefit of the S/A. Make sure your cabinet is big enough, you may want to add to your first choice. I did! I bought a berretta 686 new and within a few months I was out pigeon shooting when it started raining. Forend got wet and it took 3 days to dry it out slowly before it would go back on. As I had paid over a grand for the gun I went out and bought a s/h semi auto for £400. Well pleased as it didn't have a mark on it and shoots brill.

Thanks for the tips people.

My FEO has signed off my cabinet for holding 4 guns which is good. My plan is to get an over and under first, then a cheap semi auto, and side by side.

I imagine a semi auto is very handy out and about so i would like one! And it would be nice to have a classic style side by side for rough shooting too!

Haha, so many guns, such little time! Or should I say money?! :-)

Little bit dissapointed that my ticket didn't arrive in the post this morning like they said, but at least I haven't had to wait months like some people seem to have on this forum!

Thanks Matty!

I've been lucky in that every time I've been to the club, I've had around 75% hit rate! But this worries me actually! It will mean either a major case of beginners luck that will soon end, or a very steep learning curve to improve on?!

I'm guessing they've put me on the easiest traps at the club too just to boost confidence! ;-)

Haven't tried DTL or skeet yet! I'm sure that will put me in my place!!

Well, I'm looking forward to picking up a Miroku O/U next week, but in the meantime, I've picked up a beautiful old AYA no.3 from PW's finest Wabbitbosher!

What a top bloke! Advice to any newbie to the shooting world, check his stock of guns out. Incredibly priced, and very helpful! He's even invited me out for a shoot soon too hopefully! (I only live 20mins down the road which helps).

Anyway, a very interesting forum, with very friendly members in my experience so far!

Here are a couple of pics of my new rough shooting/game fun gun!!

8E3703F6-4BBC-4616-801E-D37836A612F5-206

AA784401-93AE-4828-8932-FE851AE367CE-206

2861DF64-DE02-4DAE-AD4D-661D36359B3C-206

2D5882DD-08A2-4C05-858B-3436368889DD-206

Edited by simonix