fac accuracy info needed

shoot57

As i say all interesting points of view but if i can drift back to fac air, there seems to be a couple of thumbs up to the .25 cal air gun, i would be interested in the views of users of this cal ... accuracy ... trajectory ... wind drift. It seems this cal is being spoken about more favourably now and in fac i would imagine it hits with some force

As with any calibre, you need to know your holdover/under for a given range. Around 50ftlb is perfectly sufficient in .25 cal' to see you taking rabbits out to 100 yards. Nice thing about a .25 is you can go for a good body shot, not just a headshot. Again, you need to know your scope and holdover obviously. That comes with going out in the field and placing cards at 10 yard intervals and marking down your holdovers. A rifle with a decent bottle is a must, a tube rifle will definitely restrict your shot count. A decent length barrel will utilise your air better (24" is a good place to be) Wind drift is what it is. A .25 calibre pellet (JSB King is a very good pellet) will buck the wind better than a .22 but that is offset some by the fact is has a larger surface area. But overall it does better. H&N Baracuda is a heavier pellet again but generally not as accurate as the King when shooting 60 odd yards plus. Then you have the Junjins, heavy beasties but you'll be lucky to find a barrel that likes them. Plus they are a little oversized.

And really to shoot out that far with good accuracy, you really need it regulated.

Edited by pabs

Thank you for helping me to get to grips with the enthusiasm that many of you have for FAC Air. My reason for asking the question was entirely honest and not mischievous. As I said, I have a Rapid Mk2 12ft lb and absolutely love it, I do enjoy shooting air rifles. I have never fired FAC Air but did consider having my Rapid converted until I realised that it would lower its value and significantly limit its use. I have .22lr and .17hmr and an open ticket.

It does sound as though some of you treat FAC Air almost as a religion rather than taking a neutral and more objective standpoint and some of the statements made just don't add up. How can FAC Air be more accurate than rimfire when used at sensible distances?

Shooting into trees is a questionable activity and if you are looking at .25 cal, don't they make a 40gr pellet? So how would shooting into trees be any different between a .22lr and FAC Air other than the initial means of propulsion?

I must admit that I would quite like to add FAC Air to my guns but it would be almost impossible to justify and I cannot think of "good reason".

Personally, and it is not a very well informed opinion I freely admit, if someone is becoming dissatisfied with the typical 35 yard limit to satisfactorily shoot rabbits using sub 12ftlb air rifles and wishes to apply for a FAC, they may be better off following the rimfire route than FAC Air although their natural inclination may be to stick with Air as that is familiar territory.

I would not use my .22lr beyond about 75 yards on rabbits because of my own lack of skill and the fact that I like to head shoot them, beyond that I use hmr to, say 125 yards. In skilled hands and in the right conditions both calibres can be pushed significantly further but some groups quoted by shooters here are rather questionable. Can you repeatedly shoot 1" groups with a .22lr in field conditions (or with FAC air) I doubt it. I can do it at 50 yards but not 100 and the rabbits need respect.

Someone on these forums once said that (assuming sufficient killing power) - Your maximum shooting distance against rabbits is the distance you can accurately fire EVERY shot into a 1" circle.

In .25 calibre, even if they do make a 40 grain pellet? it doesn't mean that's all you can use. .25 calibre pellets start at around 18 grains, which makes them much safer to shoot into trees than your average .22 bullet. You can't compare a diabolo pellet to a bullet for carrying power and strike energy at range, they aren't in the same league.

What did people think about the .30 fx boss on feild sport channel?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U4-1l8-BK60

That. Thing packs a punch

I have a Boss and it gives me 60ftlbs at 50 yards, 77ftlbs at the muzzle. :good: shot a couple foxes with it, Heart and lung shot, at 60Yards and 1 headshot at 40 yards.... The 7,62 solid was complete deformed,and they both dropped as a stone. Also 3 Nutrias made the same trip in a short time, best magnum airrifle I ever had, much better as the career 707 .25 or the Airwolf .308 I had. Never shot 1 inch groupings at 100 yards with them, as I do with the Boss. :yes:

Thank you for helping me to get to grips with the enthusiasm that many of you have for FAC Air..................................

Quote "I have never fired FAC Air"

You need to try it and then I think you will understand where most of us that use it are coming from.

Quote "How can FAC Air be more accurate than rimfire when used at sensible distances?"

It would depend on many factors. A poor example of an FAC air rifle with mismatched pellets would not necessarily be more accurate than a match grade 22lr with the perfect marriage of bullets. I think it fair to say that 99% of rifle users search for that perfect combo and will try to keep to sensible distances in sensible conditions.

My Fac air is an Airwolf. It is regulated electronically, the trigger is electronic so the shot to shot consistency is far greater than that of my 22lr. The bisley magnums I use in it are extraordinarily consistant in weight. There is no flip on firing. That all adds up to accuracy. I haven't pulled apart 22lr bullets and weighed them, or indeed the powder charge. However, I assume that most here including me use the 22lr with subsonics and not match grade rounds, and its probably the variables during manufacture of bullet weight, finish and powder charge that lead to inaccuracy. Given sensible ranges/conditions, say 70 yards, the Airwolf IS more accurate than my 22lr. That's a fact. I wouldn't use either on live quarry in a wind that would clearly affect the impact point as I'm not sufficiently capable of judging drift accurately enough in either case. Paper punching, different matter.

Quote "I would not use my .22lr beyond about 75 yards on rabbits because of my own lack of skill and the fact that I like to head shoot them, beyond that I use hmr to, say 125 yards. In skilled hands and in the right conditions both calibres can be pushed significantly further but some groups quoted by shooters here are rather questionable. Can you repeatedly shoot 1" groups with a .22lr in field conditions (or with FAC air) I doubt it. I can do it at 50 yards but not 100 and the rabbits need respect."

If you can repeatedly do 1" groups at 50 yards,(presumably on paper) but then shoot out to 75 yards on rabbits, what does that mean? Do you mean you still get 1" groups at that distance or are you starting to chance the shot? When I talk about groups, its what I have done on paper and I'm sure the same applies to others. Out in the field, its down to the rifle user to make all the necessary judgments. It would be nice to think that every shot was taken with 100% accuracy in every instance. Obviously this isn't always the case for a plethora of reasons, indeed I'm sure you must have missed once or twice!

My reply is not meant to be in anyway offensive Dadioles. If you get the chance to have a try out with FAC Air, and I don't mean a pile of junk, I think you might be very surprised and it will give you a greater understanding of why some of us really enjoy using it. Even better, go head to head with the 22lr to 70yards!! :good:

I have a Boss and it gives me 60ftlbs at 50 yards, 77ftlbs at the muzzle. :good: shot a couple foxes with it, Heart and lung shot, at 60Yards and 1 headshot at 40 yards.... The 7,62 solid was complete deformed,and they both dropped as a stone. Also 3 Nutrias made the same trip in a short time, best magnum airrifle I ever had, much better as the career 707 .25 or the Airwolf .308 I had. Never shot 1 inch groupings at 100 yards with them, as I do with the Boss. :yes:

The boss does sound like a beast of an air gun but cost much more than a .22lr. What is trajectory like? What range do you zero and how may shots per fill do you get.

Thank you Turbo33, a very reasoned post. It makes me even more interested in looking at the potential of FAC air, particularly as I already have the necessary charging kit. There is no substitute for first hand experience and at the moment that is what I don't have. I would not want to convert my Rapid Mk2. Perhaps I will have a chat to my FO and see about adding a slot. I do get bored easily and this would be a fun project.

Much appreciated....

Oh, I forgot to mention.... as far as 1" groups at 50 yards and my mention of .22lr at 75 yards.... I confidently head shoot every time at 50 yards but when I need longer shots with the .22lr I tend to go for the bigger chest shot as it gives a bit more leeway. Generally I prefer the hmr for those longer distances.

Edited by dadioles

Each to their own, we all have different desires/aspirations and needs. I do a lot of different work on different problems on different sites.

I have 12ft lb, FAC Air, 2 x .22lr, HMR, WMR, centrefires/shotguns.

I am in no rush to get rid of the FAC Air but I don't find a need for it very often, truth is if ONE rifle HAD to go, that would be it!

:yes::good:

What ever you go for I would say stick to driving the pellet at a max of 900fps tops for best accuracy vs power.

I would go for .22 myself as there is such a bigger pellet choice available and .22 is a big enough surface area to impart the impact power over.

Yes .25 is a bigger surface area but the pellet choices and availability aren’t so great although perfectly possible.

Myself I prefer to use 16grn pellets (JSB proffered or next is AA Field) easy to buy and come by.

Some like 40ftlb but for me I don’t see the benefit over the extra air consumption. After all a head shot rabbit at 70 yards isn’t going to tell the difference between a 16,18 or 21grn pellet delivered at 30-40ftlb.

If you chose to go 40ftlb in .22 I would suspect you would want an 18grn pellet or 21grn magnum.

My setup is .22 30ftlb Daystate Huntsman using 16 grn 5.52 JSB exacts, I does very well at putting bunny’s and avian pest down hard.

ATB

Matt :good:

Edited by salop sniper