How far do lorry drivers regularly drive?

harrycatcat1

The reason that I ask is that yesterday I drove to South Wales, Carmarthen, from Chesterfield and covered 506 miles from 05.00 start till back at 15.15 and I thought today, I am glad that I dont have to do that again today which I presume lorry drivers do regularly.

So hats off to lorry drivers :good:

Regards

Hcc

ps and the weekend I pick to go down the M50 is shut for the weekend :sad1: so it cost me £6.20p to get into Wales

You are limited to essentially 9 hours driving with break which can be extended by I think 30 mins every so often. Our multi pickup drivers can regularly do the full 9 hours drive with loading / offloading in between.

They earn decent money and a few of my chemists winge about it occasionally, but my response is if you want to do it get a HGV licence (no easy thing) and enjoy nights out in you cab with the responsibility of trying to run a 27te 20ft long truck through central London! The lads would work in my division are worth every penny!

It's 9 hours drive time a day. But you can extend to 10 hours twice a week. And you need 11 hours rest a night but can reduce that down to 9 hours 3 times a week. And max 15 hours a shift.

You cover some miles a day lol I live by j22 and used to start 0100-0200 and my miss used to call me when she woke and I was some where like Brighton or Newcastle.

She could not get her head round it!! Lol

8 weeks in hotel hgv!!!!

Sod that!!!

Hope you have a nice unit!!!

The only unit I have had that is reasonable to night out in is the merk mega space..

I regularly go to Italy/Spain/Sweden etc :)

Away for at least 4 weeks at at time, occasionally up to 8 weeks.

I love it :)

Fully loaded FH12 :)

Does that mean its a good un? :blush:

What sort of things does it have?

Regards

Hcc

I have only ever rode in a lorry once and that would be nearly 40 years ago, chap used to deliver bottles of fizzy pop from a dept (could have been called Citra) in Wakefield and as he drove along with the 40ft open trailer the bottles would be exploding, I only went once :lol:

Does that mean its a good un? :blush:

What sort of things does it have?

Regards

Hcc

I have only ever rode in a lorry once and that would be nearly 40 years ago, chap used to deliver bottles of fizzy pop from a dept (could have been called Citra) in Wakefield and as he drove along with the 40ft open trailer the bottles would be exploding, I only went once :lol:

Fridge, freezer, memory foam matress, microwave, flat screen hd tv/DVD player!! Etc etc

The reason that I ask is that yesterday I drove to South Wales, Carmarthen, from Chesterfield and covered 506 miles from 05.00 start till back at 15.15 and I thought today, I am glad that I dont have to do that again today which I presume lorry drivers do regularly.

So hats off to lorry drivers :good:

Regards

Hcc

ps and the weekend I pick to go down the M50 is shut for the weekend :sad1: so it cost me £6.20p to get into Wales

As I know about your first visit to the marsh Harry I'm surprised you didn't finish in some farm yard in Somerset :lol:

As I know about your first visit to the marsh Harry I'm surprised you didn't finish in some farm yard in Somerset :lol:

Oh no dont bring that up, I thought that I was going to be lost forever :lol:

It was easier to find Carmarthen than sheps :rolleyes: but I did have a mate called Tomtom. :innocent:

Hope to see you over the next few weeks :good:

I had a Scannia R470 HiLine until I was made redundant 7 years ago. I had more gadgets in there than I had at home. TV/DVD, Play station, Microwave, Fridge, Cooker, Large bed (40"+ wide), Second bunk bed (used that for storage), Plus loads of other bits. Didn't have a bog but did have a solar shower.

It was a great way of life when I was single. The most miles I did over one shift was around 450, this was from North Wales - Dundee - back down as far as I could get (below Glasgow). All this done on a 10 hr drive over a 14 hr shift. Love driving through Scotland, no traffic. Hated London, if you miss your turning it is 20 min to turn around.

The firm I worked for had 20 drivers, most did nights out. We would ring each other up and see where we were and if close enough we would park up together and find a pub. Always found one. Happy days

I still enjoy a good drive these days,

Edited by shoot and be safe

I had a Scannia R470 HiLine until I was made redundant 7 years ago. I had more gadgets in there than I had at home. TV/DVD, Play station, Microwave, Fridge, Cooker, Large bed (40"+ wide), Second bunk bed (used that for storage), Plus loads of other bits. Didn't have a bog but did have a solar shower.

It was a great way of life when I was single. The most miles I did over one shift was around 450, this was from North Wales - Dundee - back down as far as I could get (below Glasgow). All this done on a 10 hr drive over a 14 hr shift. Love driving through Scotland, no traffic. Hated London, if you miss your turning it is 20 min to turn around.

The firm I worked for had 20 drivers, most did nights out. We would ring each other up and see where we were and if close enough we would park up together and find a pup. Always found one. Happy days

I still enjoy a good drive these days,

Was that for dogging training?

:shaun:

Are any of you HGV guys ever annoyed at the antics of some of your colleagues when out on the road? I still see quite a few texting and some even watching TV/DVD's as they are driving!

It doesn't surprise me to hear of some of the "mystery" crashes where no external influence seems to be the cause.

A one year automatic ban for texting while driving might help?

Are any of you HGV guys ever annoyed at the antics of some of your colleagues when out on the road? I still see quite a few texting and some even watching TV/DVD's as they are driving!

It doesn't surprise me to hear of some of the "mystery" crashes where no external influence seems to be the cause.

A one year automatic ban for texting while driving might help?

Let's turn this into yet another "we hate lorry drivers" topic :rollseyes:

People think they are 'just lorry drivers'. I don't agree, I think they are very intelligent to be able to learn and carry out that responsibility daily. Same as black cab drivers. I bet many of these types could cut it in higher status professions but maybe dident get the chance or the encouragement. I drive four hours occasionally in one hit, and I am absolutely knackered and bored to death with it at the end of the journey.