Advice

paul2012

I have just put in for my fac after finding a suitable permission. The owner wants all the bunnies under control as they are causing huge amount of damage to the land. However they wont let me use the shotgun because they have 24 horses in proximity to the area i can shoot and because of the livery yard next door.

So now I'm stressed thinking that they may give permission to someone else because they want the pests under control but i cant afford to get am air rifle because then i wont be able to get my rifle once i get my fac as the local rfd doesn't do any decent trade in and moneys tight as ever.

So does any body have any suggestions on how i can start working down the population without a gun so i can ensure i don't lose my only fac suitable permission as my others are only shotgun suitable.

Also while I'm on the subject i was wanting a .17hmr but will it be too loud for the horses. There's approx 50acres i can shoot over.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions as i really cant loose this perm to someone else.

Paul

Get an air rifle and get cracking on them now. Getting an FAC can be a long drawn out affair and I'm sure the owner wasn't thinking about waiting months before you start. Then when you have your FAC in your hand, sell the airgun. :good:

I'd have thought a .22lr would be ample for 50 acres in most cases and nice and quiet for the horses too.

You say the land is fac suitable, if its a horse place of 50 acres and very flat you may struggle unless its already cleared of course. Could you not get someone local to you to give you a hand whilst you are waiting for your fac to go through that way you can prove the land is safe if it needs inspecting plus you get to keep the rabbits under control.

This what i was trying to find out by the post but got an air rifle now anyway,

Thanks for all the help guys!

Best of luck with the bunnies ... :good:

In the long run, where it's bad, you might find yourself using traps, snares, ferrets & nets in season, gas, burrow blasting, your mate's hawks, shotgunning bolters, and air, fac air, rimfire, magnum rimfire, and to pass the time on a fine evening any .22 centrefire for making rabbit soup from 200 yds !

Its not flat horse land. They have sheep too and the shooting its self is solely 50 acres which has already been cleared. Newton abbot in Devon is where I'm located.

Think i need to go down the air rifle route

Good news then air rifle it is then for now

I have applied for .17 and .22 already,

I'm going to go down to my local rfd and get an air rifle later.

Thanks for all the help. I spoke to the land owner earlier and they are happy to wait or let me go with an air rifle.

Paul

If they wont allow shotgun on the land stick to the 22 as the 17 is pretty loud if they are bothered about the noise. I find the horses on my permission are not bothered by noise but some people think otherwise. Good luck anyway :good:

Hi Paul, yes get a 22lr with a mod..don't for get to add the mod on your application , as for the neighbours, be polite but stand your ground..you have permission... the ground has been cleared make sure you have the permission in writing, and if you do start to have problems, let the police know when your shooting