Help with my tight **** reloading kit.

Alright guys I have put a few posts on here about my ideas of reloading for the .410 on the cheap/limited hand tools.

And I had an idea of a cheap resizing die.

So would this work?

If I got a piece of thick steel plate (for free obviously) and drilled a .475" hole in it, then added a slight chamfer to aid the fit. Would I be able to drive a once fired hull into it with a mallet to squeeze it back to size?

Then tap it back out with a dowel.

Does this sound like the ramblings of madman or does it sound plausible?

Gentlemen please, your views?

There is nothing wrong with hand loading tools that are homemade and very basic. I don’t know that you need to resize them much if you are using them in he same gun chamber. This is how it used to be done because that was all that was available. Years ago (Almost during the war) father used a bike spoke to punch out the primers and various dowels to reform cases and hand made powder and shot dippers to reload with. New stuff just wasn’t available and he even rolled paper into new 410,16 and 12 tubes. I haven’t got a clue how he joined the tube to the base but whatever he did it worked and he used to drop tons of stuff with his homemades. He was always experimenting and somehow he made a silent round. He said that he shot a rabbit stone dead but it didn’t make any noise. Perhaps he had wax in his ears

Guest cookoff013

I have copied the Lee loader in 20g succesfully.

Can you do it in tube or bar as suggested? It would be better.

I always wanted to try toilet paper rammed on the charge in a .410. It would need some experimenting with.

Anyway...good luck.

U.

forget the toilet paper.

Guest cookoff013

did you try it?

U.

no.

but then i dont have a .410.

however the .410 is a shotgun that needs pressure to run right, and using toilet paper isnt on the to-do list. the wadding needs to withstand 14000psi and as a driving wad need to withstand ~500ftlbs of driving force.

i cant see andrex doing that. although i`m hearing it is soft and strong.

no.

but then i dont have a .410.

however the .410 is a shotgun that needs pressure to run right, and using toilet paper isnt on the to-do list. the wadding needs to withstand 14000psi and as a driving wad need to withstand ~500ftlbs of driving force.

i cant see andrex doing that. although i`m hearing it is soft and strong.

Oh really.....so tell me Einstein....where would the now compressed wad of toilet paper disappear too?

So when rifle shooters lose volume in large cases originally used with blackpowder by filling them with many things including toilet paper they are doing it wrong are they?

When I use a ball of newspaper in my muzzle loader and down birds it is not really working is it?

Am listening!

U.

Yep did that and got nowt to do with the context here!

Still listening.....

U.

Even a fibre wad holds the pressures poorly as the gases expand and that's with a hard 4mm thick card pushing it forwards. I would expect bog roll to do virtually nothing to seal the gases and propel the shot forwards in an efficient manner.

If you know what shot balling is then you know what causes it.

If you use a inferior wad material then the hot gasses will blow into the shot column.

I don't buy the shot balling thing, it's out of the barrel far too quickly to heat weld. That said I do buy proper recipes with suitable materials for the job at hand. For the good some bog roll stuffed down the tube would do you might aswell just sit the shot on the powder and be done with it, proper squib load.

Even a fibre wad holds the pressures poorly as the gases expand and that's with a hard 4mm thick card pushing it forwards. I would expect bog roll to do virtually nothing to seal the gases and propel the shot forwards in an efficient manner.

What evidence of a fiber wad holding pressure poorly do you have?

As stated before many times in fact....I regularly use a rolled ball of newspaper in my muzzleloader and down birds.

No I do give a rats dodar about efficiency as long as birds come down and down they do come!

The OP is enquiring about loading a .410 cheaply. He never mentioned efficiency!

I express a desire to experiment with a paper wad based not an opinion but on actual experience with ALL my muzzleloading smoothbores. Another fine wad in a muzzleloader is just a few thin overshot cards and I have used a stack of overshot cards in shot shells before and guess what IT WORKS.

So is there actually anyone here who has tried it and it was rubbish or are some of us just guessing at it?

U.