Guns loose on its face how much to repair?

willks84

Gunsmith job , its a "Dont try this at home" thing , i've seen All sorts of DIY tightenup jobs Most are Very crude and Very dangerous indeed involving hammers, anvils, vices and even chewing gum ,

Its not a costly job and when done right the gun will be safe to use for Years to come

I've tried chewing gum it didn't wrk :(

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna nip it to a bloke I know when I get chance

I tightened up my for-end on an old side by side with the aid of a hammer and a punch !! The gun only cost £100 but I was still nervous. Would not try any D.I.Y on a decent gun.

Pay a good gunsmith to do it mate................keep the economy flowing and all that jazz !!! :lol:

I tightened up my for-end on an old side by side with the aid of a hammer and a punch !! The gun only cost £100 but I was still nervous. Would not try any D.I.Y on a decent gun.

Pay a good gunsmith to do it mate................keep the economy flowing and all that jazz !!! :lol:

You've not tightened the gun ie put it back on face you just made it feel stiff to open. They are not the same thing.

I dunno what you did with that hammer and punch but the forend being modified cannot put a gun back on the face ( the best and quickest check for the fault is to remove the forend and check for play)

You've not tightened the gun ie put it back on face you just made it feel stiff to open. They are not the same thing.

I dunno what you did with that hammer and punch but the forend being modified cannot put a gun back on the face ( the best and quickest check for the fault is to remove the forend and check for play)

Read the post guys !! I was just saying that I tightened up my loose forend on an old side by side...............and that doing this relatively simple task made me nervous !! I make no mention of putting my gun back on face. I was just trying to point out that gunsmiths are the best guys to work on yer gun !!

I know the original question was about putting a gun back on face................ Anyway, sorry for straying off the original post and causing any bad feeling or confusion

As for making my gun stiff? Don't know how you could make that assumption sir? :/ I was very careful, I punched a very small amount of metal forward..........it was just enough to stop the thing rattling around so much !!! Would I attempt such a thing on a quality gun? NO.............it cost me £100...........it's a Gunmark Sabel with scratched barrels and cabinet dings on the stock !!!!! Now it has a forend that doesn't rattle !! :ninja:

Kind regards

Dan

Dont think I will be trying any gunsmithy type stuff in the future...........though I do fancy having a crack at chequering. Just gotta bite the bullet and get a little starter set.......20 lines per inch set from dembart. Cant be that hard can it ? hee hee ( only joking warrior, max respect for this art form)

Before I reply to this can I thank the lads for recommending us, your continued support is much appreciated.

Gordon is correct - you cannot work on the barrel bites on a Medallist it would be inadvisable to do this.

The question is loose and off the face - this is two separate issues. Normally on the Medallist they suffer with lack of grip. To remedy this the action has to be fully stripped, the bolt removed and by a highly competent tig welder additional metal is laid onto the bolt. Then by means of accurate filing and use of a smoke lamp the bolt is realigned with the barrel grip and this remedies lack of grip and often pulls down the barrels back onto the face. Option 2 - wear has taken place on the barrel pivots. On an English gun we would be talking about the cross pin. The two circular studs on either side of the action to which the barrels hinge onto have become worn and allow the barrels to move forward off the face. This I would suggest is unlikely and the lack of grip is causing the problem but diagnosing by email is not an option. I would suggest that you seek out a competent smith in your area and get him to take a careful look as this is a major safety issue. The cost of reinstating grip in our workshops including the strip and rebuild would be circa £140.

I trust this helps.

PS Gordon if you find yourself in the area drop in for a cup of coffee.