Legalisation & Govenment control/supply of drugs and "legal hi

henry d

As a tangent to the drug dealing neighbour query, what are your thoughts?

Gut reactions and then a considered response?

**Edit** Typo - should be titled

"Legalisation & Government control/supply of drugs and "legal highs" Edited by henry d

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough one Henry, I don't know enough about them so can't really comment in depth. All I would say is If they are safe and have no side effects then no problem. If people start getting ill from them then that is another debate- Is it the government's role to protect the public from themselves.

That is another topic. :)

It's a tough one Henry, I don't know enough about them so can't really comment in depth.

Here`s a little starter for you then; Legal highs can be bought over the internet usually as "Research chemicals - pond cleaner - bath salts" or some such and can be sold legally as such as they are for sale to over 18`s only and state that they are not for human consumption http://www.researchchemicalsonlinestore.com/en/. They are said to be 99+% pure, and probably are, there is online help in what dosages are OK to take, how best to ingest them and ideas of how to experiment with them for first time users http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/. This sort of information and purity is not available to many illegal drug users.

When the government is pressured to stop them they ban the chemical compound and the chemists just fiddle with the make up and start all over again (google Mcat/meow-meow/mephedrone).

Cannabis should be made legal,not harder drugs. Alcohol is far worse than weed. I have known and know a lot of people who smoke it none of them are rageing physco's or gangsters going round popping caps in peoples ***** as some peoples blinkered views seem to say. But there are a hell of a lot mild mannered people out there that turn in to lunatics when they drink alcohol. Not sure the government would make much money out of it though because it would be cheaper to grow it yourself.

These drugs being illegal doesn't seem to have stopped people from using them.

Those who want to take them will and those who don't won't regardless of legislation.

Decriminalise them and spend the money on removing illegal immigrants.

Cannabis should be made legal,not harder drugs. Alcohol is far worse than weed. I have known and know a lot of people who smoke it none of them are rageing physco's or gangsters going round popping caps in peoples ***** as some peoples blinkered views seem to say. But there are a hell of a lot mild mannered people out there that turn in to lunatics when they drink alcohol. Not sure the government would make much money out of it though because it would be cheaper to grow it yourself.

There is plenty of evidence that prolonged use of cannabis can lead to psychosis. Particularly the stronger varieties. Alcohol is abused enough as it is. Legalising cannabis will just give people the green light to more people to consume it - meaning more drugged up people on the roads.

yes legalize tax and control, i dont really see any alternatives working. i think those horrible legal highs probably do more harm than illegal drugs imagine snorting bath salts or pond cleaner be enough to put anyone off :lol:

+1

Anyone who thinks the current 'war on drugs' is working must be on drugs themselves :oops:

Legalise everything, as a responsible adult it should be my choice what i choose to put up my nose/in my veins/lungs.

If i overdose or kill myself so be it, it was my choice to take it.

The tax from the drugs plus the profit from selling it (assuming government controlled) would more than cover any extra medical resources needed.

Criminal gangs would go out of business, who wants to buy a dodgy unknown drug when you can just go the chemist and get the proper stuff!

Legalise everything, as a responsible adult it should be my choice what i choose to put up my nose/in my veins/lungs.

If i overdose or kill myself so be it, it was my choice to take it.

The tax from the drugs plus the profit from selling it (assuming government controlled) would more than cover any extra medical resources needed.

Criminal gangs would go out of business, who wants to buy a dodgy unknown drug when you can just go the chemist and get the proper stuff!

What you do to yourself is indeed your business, but the social consequences cost everyone. A good percentage of crime is done to fuel drug habits. People buy cigarettes and alcohol from dodgy sources - why would they not for drugs if legalised - particularly if the gangs could undercut heavily-taxed legal drugs?

i think they should crack down on legal highs (meow meow) etc and cocain, and illegal inner grants well before canabis, I don't touch it or fags but I honestly don't see an issue with canabis and everyone I know who smokes it seems to work hard and be completely normal. I think people use what they can as an excuse for bad behavior. Like computer games etc I had a debate with a bloke at work (because I bought grand theft auto) and he was saying it causes violence and murder expecaily In the States......... but that's **** aswell, no normal people get of the Xbox Nd go on a gun rampage, same as the bloke in Norway who killed all them kids, they said he had "call of duty" in his house so it must of been that. all an excuse!

particularly if the gangs could undercut heavily-taxed legal drugs?

i think 90% of people would rather go to a shop or chemist and avoid prosecution and my guess it would be cheaper it works in the states with medical grass. if i were ever to think about doing this i know where i would shop given the choice and it wouldnt be the dodgy bloke on the corner.

Edited by overandunder2012

If they do legalize it and tax it etc I could see a huge dip in overall crime, their may however be more serious crime from the people actually on drugs. Another thing you have to remember is you will see a lot of drugged up people everywhere, as Itl be legal they won't be bothered about showing their drugged up. Zombies in shops, parks, etc

The main issue here is control. if you knew you would likely get life imprisonment or the death penalty for dealing/taking drugs rather than a slap on the wrist with "community service" then I'm sure it would decrease. People on harder drugs should be used for medical testing as their mind and body are normally screwed anyway. I think we should also look at the importation paths the suppliers use, rather than our police only having jurisdiction to "stop it at the gate" they should be able to prosecute the producer under uk law.

The whole thing simply by the drugs money involved would practically be self funding. If they don't burn the money or give it to the government to spend on tree houses and flowers etc

All this prolonged use causes physcosis how long before you go nuts? The people i know who smoke it are in their late 30's early 40's and have been smoking it 18/20 years they are all perfectly normal with families and decent jobs. Takes a few hours for booze to turn a lot of people into nutters. I should imagine a lot more peoples lives are ruined by drink than by weed.

Legalising it is legitimising it - and i'm not sure that's a good idea. As you say - we will see drugged up people the same was we see drunk people. Kids will think it's now 'OK' to experiment with drugs like they do with alcohol or cigarettes. I'm quite happy with the status quo or even decriminialising use of drugs (pretty much what we have now), but come down hard on the dealers. Users are not and should not be treated as criminals, they are more victims in my eyes.

All this prolonged use causes physcosis how long before you go nuts? The people i know who smoke it are in their late 30's early 40's and have been smoking it 18/20 years they are all perfectly normal with families and decent jobs. Takes a few hours for booze to turn a lot of people into nutters. I should imagine a lot more peoples lives are ruined by drink than by weed.

From what i've read, it depends on the strength of cannabis (THC content) and also mitigating factors such as a pre-disposition to mental illness. So it may not affect everyone in the same way.