semi auto barrel cleaning ?

fruity

if it is plastic google luisin spray .luisin is what we use to clean injection moulding tools it aint cheap but it even melts abs .and ten quid is a lot cheaper than a new barrel .and it doesnt touch or damage metal

Edited by clakk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I would definitely not be using autosol in any barrel. Can't you get someone with a borescope to take a look if you're sure there's a problem.

I was trying a mixture of things to take out what I thought was debris, and after a lot of scrubbing I now realise it marks in the barrel , I'll take it back to the shop tomorrow he's going to cast his eye over it

Why not?

If normal scrubbing won't shift wad marks, a little dab on the chamber brush cleans the wad marks out the chamber effortlessly.

Because it's a very effective abrasive. I use it to finish my carpentry tools to a razor edge with literally a couple of seconds on a leather wheel. If you want to risk taking your gun out of proof autosol would be a very good way of doing it.

Because it's a very effective abrasive. I use it to finish my carpentry tools to a razor edge with literally a couple of seconds on a leather wheel. If you want to risk taking your gun out of proof autosol would be a very good way of doing it.

Autosol will not harm a barrel matey at all....certainly no worse than some rust damage inside a barrel would!

U.

Well going by how it takes metal off the cutting edge of my chisels what effect would running some into your barrel on an electric drill have?

Firstly, I said use a small amount on a bronze chamber brush if normal scrubbing doesn't shift the marks.

Secondly, a light abrasive like autosol will not wear out a chrome lined barrel like it does your chisel...

Also, iv been using autosol on a leather belt to strop knife blades, for years. None of my knife blades are excessively worn out from it.

Edited by chrispti

How fast is your wheels going SIH?

How hard do you press on?

Is it not a fact that old sxs are often polished to remove pits and still pass proof?

When they polish old sxs they have to use a much better method of cutting than any ammount of autosol!

Some old guns have been shot so much the ammunition has worn them thin but they still make proof!

Do you actually have any proof of autosol causing a gun to go out of proof or are you assuming?

U.

Firstly, I said use a small amount on a bronze chamber brush if normal scrubbing doesn't shift the marks.

Secondly, a light abrasive like autosol will not wear out a chrome lined barrel like it does your chisel...

I wasn't referring to what you said, the OP was using it on an electric drill. Nevertheless we are all free to do what we want and using an abrasive such as solvol autosol isn't something I would want to do with any gun of mine after seeing how it can cut thru high carbon steel tools without much effort.

if the hole/ pitting is about half way down the barrel it may be part of the gas system

the hole it it is the case vents gas off the barrel when firing and would use it to cycle the next round. probably not the case but is possibly one sollution

Edited by Elmer Fudd 1

Autosol could possibly gum up in the gas ports thinking about it!

U.

Thing is I'm going nowhere near the gas port , there is 1 port half way down the barrel , I used the tiniest amount of autosol on a bronze brush just to try carefully to see if it removed the marks which are a bit like orange peel just inside the barrel both ends , I didn't work so cleaned carefully with Napier cleaner and then tried some other methods to no avail :)

Just a quick update if anyone wondered what the outcome was

I took the gun back to the shop were I purchased it and they gave there opinion on the barrel , I then took it to a gunsmith who checked it with a bore scope.

I contacted gmk with the findings, they returned my phone call promptly to say if they confirm/agree with the gunsmiths diagnosis, the barrel will be replaced in around 3/4 weeks

Edited by fruity

Just a quick update if anyone wondered what the outcome was

I took the gun back to the shop were I purchased it and they gave there opinion on the barrel , I then took it to a gunsmith who checked it with a bore scope.

I contacted gmk with the findings, they returned my phone call promptly to say if they confirm/agree with the gunsmiths diagnosis, the barrel will be replaced in around 3/4 weeks

What was the diagnosis?

Please don't this the wrong way as I appreciate all advice ,but as said in previous posts above , I have done this method for nearly an hour with bronze brush etc which has made no difference and I can't be from plastic wads as I never use plastic wads only fibre

No mate never had a fibre wad through it

:hmm::hmm::hmm: