What a sting

stevethevanman

I was out wabbit hunting and hit a rabbit quartering away from me to the left, I was lining up the rabbits vitals with the path of the bullet so I was aiming at its back left leg to get the bullet to got through its vitals, it was practicly aiming through its butt.

When opening up the rabbit we saw that the bullet had hit the rear leg knee joint and smashed its way through the bone exiting the leg it then whent back into the rabbit going through its rib cage and blendered it vitals and then lodged itself in the shoulder bone.

The bullet I used was a winny 4Ogrn HP

it sounds to me like your shooting rabbits up the backside with either a .22lr or .22mag

if its a .22lr dont do this, this round barely has enough energy to consistantly distpatch rabbits with chest shots yet alone if your shooting them up their ****. If you do this you will get runners.

headshots are best with the .22lr or if tis facing you at lowish range you can get away with a chest shot.

I hope ive misinterprited your post.

I was shooting them with a 22lr and I was shooting them at 60yds, I am sorry but I could not dissagre stronger about it only just having enough power to kill with a chest shot on a rabbit, what I saw was carrnage, it smashed straight through the knee bone(bone splinters every were in the knee), broke through a rib and completely blendered the vital organs and lodged itself in his shoulder. :drinks:

And by the way what is a Texas Heart Shot :good:

I was shooting them with a 22lr and I was shooting them at 60yds, I am sorry but I could not dissagre stronger about it only just having enough power to kill with a chest shot on a rabbit, what I saw was carrnage, it smashed straight through the knee bone(bone splinters every were in the knee), broke through a rib and completely blendered the vital organs and lodged itself in his shoulder. :drinks:

And by the way what is a Texas Heart Shot :good:

do you always shoot them through the knee?

the .22lr does not expand particually well, so its only in cases where the bullet catches something solid such as a knee that it will expand and you will see the full potential of what the .22lr can do.

However my experaince is if you want a 100% certain kill go with a headshot.

chest shots are fine if under about 50yards in my experiance, however much past this and you may or may not stop the rabbit.

Sorry if you 'strongly disagree' but this is my first hand experiance of shooting them using eley's (which do not expand as well as winchesters) but this still dosent change my views.

headshot is the best and most consistantly humaine shot avalible.

Chest shots past 50yards are not consistant.

IMHO the choice of head or chest shot placement is of little importance, what is important is the position of the bunny and which shot will get the better results :good: Texas heart shots rarely go off great but chest shots out to 75 yards no problem, and if your unsure of hitting the chest mark at 50 yards then why try a head shot, the target area is smaller, yes you can clean miss, but nose / jaw removal is just as likely :drinks: . Shots should only ever be taken at a distance which you are comfortably hold a reasonable group! :drinks:

:good:

my point regarding the chest shot is not my ability to hit the correct area as if i can hit their head i can hit the boiler room of a rabbit. However the .22lr does not do enough damage in this area to garuntie you take down an organ which will stop it dead. Runners or unclean kills are common with chest shots in my experiance.

But each to their own, at 60yards i would head shoot it or leave it untill another day :drinks:

What is a TEXAS HEART SHOT!!!!!!!!! :good:

Texas Heart Shot = an animal that gets shot from behind with the idea of hitting the heart/vitals, basically shooting it through it's ****. From what I've heard it's usually stories about deer, don't know if it happens in real life as in if anyone does it on purpose. If they do they've no respect for the animal they're shooting IMO. Bloody stupid idea and not to be advised IMHO (again).

I'm sure someone won't agree with the above but it's rather like the .22lr fox threads so I ain't going there either as there have been "discussions" about both subjects enough :drinks:

and hit a rabbit quartering away from me to the left,

:good: Shotguns are used for running shots not rifles,if the bullet had not entered the body cavity you would have been unlikely to have retrieved that rabbit and it would have had a lingering death.

Don`t get me started on shooting for the gut,totally irresponsible IMO.

if its a .22lr dont do this, this round barely has enough energy to consistantly distpatch rabbits with chest

Is this personal opinion, or is it based on fact,

I've never had any problem with chest shots, or head for that matter,

Same as Frank, I use Winchester 40g sub hollowpoint, have done for years, expansion is excellent.

The .22lr is quite adaquate for any of the above shots with rabbit.

BJ.