CCTV suggestions (dog fouling).

oilyrag

We have a small plot of well kept/lawned land that came with our current house (approx the size of three/four tennis courts) which is fenced on three sides by our boundary fence and by two neighbours back garden fences.

The fourth side runs parallel to our drive and down to our house and is open to anyone/anything that walks past the top of the drive. For the past 12 months we have had a problem with a dog fouling on the lawn. I have only ever caught one dog in the act which belonged to one of the two neighbours whose back garden shares a fence with us.

He has a damaged fence panel and for whatever reason hasn't replaced it. He has just spent 50k plus on an extension and recently bought two new cars so I'm fairly sure the reason he wont replace the panel is down to lack of funds.

I'm 90% certain his dog is to blame and the reason he wont replace the panel is so that his dog is free to roam my patch late at night. I haven't confronted him as I have no evidence other than the one time I caught his dog in the act. On that occasion he was apologetic and offered to clean the mess up but I had already sorted it.

The area is used by my three young children as a play area and I have spent quite a bit of money on proper swings, slides, trampoline etc and maintain it as it's a normal lawn. They had some friends over at the weekend at one of them managed to roll in a freshly laid Richard the third and then transfer most of it into my house.

I like to think I'm a reasonable man but I'm getting close to losing my rag, the only thing I can think of is to install CCTV under the front eave of the house to cover the plot so I can see who/what is resposible.

Looking for a hard drive type recorder with a camera that can film day/night. Don't really have a budget but sub£150 would be nice. Would prefer one of the dome types as they look a lot neater.

Any suggestions welcome!Thanks.

What about a (temporary) fix to where the damaged fence panel is? Put some fencing and a gate along the side that runs by your house / drive? Keeping dogs out is better than footage of a dog or dogs crapping on your grassed area?

Just what I was going to say why bother with camaras and all of that hastle when just a bit of wire fencing would solve the problem one could say its your land if you do not want peoples amimals comming on to it its up to you to put a fence up.

Why not just spend the £150 you would waste on cameras fixing the fence from your side? Or alternatively just talk to the bloke and just say his dog has come in a few times and you would prefer it not to. Be a lot better way round of dealing with it than getting CCTV and confronting your neighbour with it in a couple of weeks time which to be honest if i was your neighbour would annoy me a lot more than just talking to me in the first place.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the fence belongs to the neighbour and he is responsible for maintaining it.

I had thought of putting something temporary up or even replacing the panel but I don't want to start something where he thinks I will maintain his fence.

Have a load of that steel grid stuff that's 100mm square that you throw into concrete foundations, might stick some of that up for the time being.

a trail camera would be an easier option, we have a cctv unit from MAPLINS, cost around £130 with 2 cameras, and we then added another two, they are great, but if your saying its a large area, whats the distance from the closest part of your roof/fascia (fixing of a camera) to the area you want to cover? as although they do work in the dark, unless you have a little light, the two supplied with the setup are pretty naff, the two we added are brill, but cost another £50 each, but even though they see everything, its probably only to a distance of around 30yds ish

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the fence belongs to the neighbour and he is responsible for maintaining it.

I had thought of putting something temporary up or even replacing the panel but I don't want to start something where he thinks I will maintain his fence.

Have a load of that steel grid stuff that's 100mm square that you throw into concrete foundations, might stick some of that up for the time being.

Why not do a real eye sore of a repair to the fence with something like a pallet or an old oil drum wedged in the hole?

This should suitably annoy him then explain your reasoning when he complains .... That would be a good time to tell him about the **** all over your house

£30 quid fence panel and bang it in yourself, if he asks why you have repaired it just tell him the truth, simples, for £30 it will not be an eyesore to yourself and will stop the dog carping on your lawn. I know its his fence but for your piece of mind id just do it.

He might even pop round and ask you how much he owes you for the fence and say " thanks I've been meaning to do that for a while, but cash is tight at the moment with just having the extension done etc etc"

Most times its better to have a word and see what his response is,

If you dont get on with him just soak the dog every time it comes in and throw the carp over on his lawn and then replace the fence panel,

ATB

Flynny

You could work yourself up in to a blind rage take all your clothes off knock on his door and challenge him to a naked sumo match on the lawn that's covered in dog ****

At the very least he will think your an absolute nut job & build an 8 foot fence between you respective properties

Just a thought

You could work yourself up in to a blind rage take all your clothes off knock on his door and challenge him to a naked sumo match on the lawn that's covered in dog ****

At the very least he will think your an absolute nut job & build an 8 foot fence between you respective properties

Just a thought

No help what so ever , but did make me laugh :):)

A colleague had suggested placing sheep on the lawn and waiting for a dog to bother them but I don't want to go down that route lol.

Was mowing the lawns before and found it had happened again, went round to see the neighbour in question and he is adamant it is not his dog. He admits it has escaped in the past but he assures me it is not down to his dog. He has promised to replace the panel asap, I don't want to do a bodge job as I don't want to create an eye sore. If he doesn't replace it soon enough I will.

Although I want to believe him, I wont be able to until I see another dog/whatever doing its business. It always happens around the same area which is roughly 20 yards from the front corner of the house.

Just a thought

Just a thought

Think that be the next step, naked but with an ammo strap over one shoulder like a sash :lol:

No. Don't do it unless you want to buy another one in a month or so. When it comes to cctv buy a good unit or keep buying every so often. I would think that the best idea is to have the fence repaired and if the fouling continues fence up the last remaining side of the area. That will solve your problem with minimum hassle.

Just use a trail-cam. It only records when it detects movement.

huffhuff was selling one

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/260499-12-megapixel-trail-camera/

+ 1 if it's only for this cause get plenty of evidence then approach your neighbour in a good manner and get his views, maybe you can get this sorted without any falling out, failing him not been cooperative ( if it is his dog ) throw it onto his doorstep I'm sure he will soon get the message :) Edited by delburt0

He has a damaged fence panel and for whatever reason hasn't replaced it.

Why don't you start by asking the neighbour nicely to fix his fence? You could offer to help and even contribute towards it. That would be a neighbourly way to start proceedings.