Rust inside barrel

I've got an very old webly & scott sngle barrel 12b that seems to started to rust inside the chamber. Although I dont use it, I dont want it to start pitting...........Any tips on getting it sorted please??

Give it a good squirt of penetrating oil every day for a week and then use a phosphor bronze brush on it. Repeat as neccesary until it is clean again.

Good Luck. :lol:

Get one of those really dense phosphor bronze brushes onto it - not just the normal twisty one - I think they are called "turk's heads" and scrub it hard with some young's 303 until you cannot see any more traces of rust. Alternative is wire wool dipped in oil - 3 in 1 does the trick for me on rusty metal.

Hope this makes sense !

Buy a cheap Gun cleaning kit and a Phospher brush

Cut last 5" off the rod and fit into a cordless drill and then fit the phospher brush to that.

Squirt WD40 into the chamber place in the brush and squeeze trigger on drill and the rotation should clean out the rust in no time.

Clean out and re oil and brush if necesary.

The Chambers are normally fine to brush out like this but if the rust has extended into the bore lining then thats where you will have trouble

LG

Get one of those really dense phosphor bronze brushes onto it - not just the normal twisty one - I think they are called "turk's heads" and scrub it hard with some young's 303 until you cannot see any more traces of rust. Alternative is wire wool dipped in oil - 3 in 1 does the trick for me on rusty metal.

Hope this makes sense !

The brush you are thinking of is a "chamber brush". A turk's head is made out of steel wire and can I am told do more damage than good.

If you use young's 303 (as I do), a shop owner told me to be sure it does not get into the workings eg the ejectors, as it can congeal and cause problems. It is a cleaner and not an oil.

• 3 weeks later...
Buy a cheap Gun cleaning kit and a Phospher brush

Cut last 5" off the rod and fit into a cordless drill and then fit the phospher brush to that.

Squirt WD40 into the chamber place in the brush and squeeze trigger on drill and the rotation should clean out the rust in no time.

Clean out and re oil and brush if necesary.

The Chambers are normally fine to brush out like this but if the rust has extended into the bore lining then thats where you will have trouble

LG

what ever you do dont clean it with wd40 i will most defenetly do damage use 3in1 :huh: