took a few pictures (Falconry)

Actionpigeons

New hawking season is about to start for me.

I have got my first clients booked in this coming Saturday, hopefully the wind will die off and the rain stays away.

A friend of mine tagged along while I was exercising the hawks to get them fit.

She took a few pictures, some turned out ok.

post-47459-0-20529900-1383131564_thumb.jpg

post-47459-0-00439000-1383131579_thumb.jpg

post-47459-0-48705800-1383131789_thumb.jpg

Edited by Actionpigeons

Is she just out of moult? Do you hunt her?

She is well out of the moult as I put all my hawks down at the end of February and pick them up at the start of October.

I have three females, along with a few Falcons but I only hunt them with clients, all of my hawks work with ferrets and dogs so they kill on most outing.

Edited by Actionpigeons

She is well out of the moult as I put all my hawks down at the end of February and pick them up at the start of October.

I have three females, along with a few Falcons but I only hunt them with clients, all of my hawks work with ferrets and dogs so they kill on most outing.

Feathers look spot on :good: what weight do your Harris' fly at? Biggest we had was 2.4lb, she was the nastiest harris I've ever flown, gave Gos' a good run for their money but so rewarding to work with!

Feathers look spot on :good: what weight do your Harris' fly at? Biggest we had was 2.4lb, she was the nastiest harris I've ever flown, gave Gos' a good run for their money but so rewarding to work with!

All my Harris hawks fly a different weights.

That is why when someone is having a problem and they ask what weight should I fly my hawk at, I simply say how should I know.

My old female 13 Years old flys at 2lb 7oz, the 10 year old flys at 2lb 1oz, and the 4 year old flys at 2lb 2oz.

All Harris hawks are not the same.

All will hunt an oz or so higher if its just me flying them, but with clients they have to be right on weight.

I have flown a lot of hawks, falcons over the years and its hard to compare Goshawks with Harris hawks.

Each work differently than other, and are all good in the right hands

All my Harris hawks fly a different weights.

That is why when someone is having a problem and they ask what weight should I fly my hawk at, I simply say how should I know.

My old female 13 Years old flys at 2lb 7oz, the 10 year old flys at 2lb 1oz, and the 4 year old flys at 2lb 2oz.

All Harris hawks are not the same.

All will hunt an oz or so higher if its just me flying them, but with clients they have to be right on weight.

I have flown a lot of hawks, falcons over the years and its hard to compare Goshawks with Harris hawks.

Each work differently than other, and are all good in the right hands

I only ask so that I could judge the sort of size your birds are, always nice to see big Harris' and your older female must be a beauty - 2lb 8oz is the biggest I have ever flown and I must have flown close to 100 hawks and literally countless falcons. Have you tried hunting the three together? We had a small male and two bigger females that used to compliment each other really nicely. You had the speed and agility of the smaller male and the power and strength of the females who would normally hit a split second after (being a bit bigger) the male and hold the rabbit to stop it bouncing the male off and escaping. If you like falcons, if you ever get chance to visit a hack site, bite their hand off. I work on one each year and it's easily the best thing you can do. Seeing and being a part of 50 gyr/peregrines with some pure whites and almost pure blacks flying free and playing in the air is a sight that'll stick with you for life :good:

I only ask so that I could judge the sort of size your birds are, always nice to see big Harris' and your older female must be a beauty - 2lb 8oz is the biggest I have ever flown and I must have flown close to 100 hawks and literally countless falcons. Have you tried hunting the three together? We had a small male and two bigger females that used to compliment each other really nicely. You had the speed and agility of the smaller male and the power and strength of the females who would normally hit a split second after (being a bit bigger) the male and hold the rabbit to stop it bouncing the male off and escaping. If you like falcons, if you ever get chance to visit a hack site, bite their hand off. I work on one each year and it's easily the best thing you can do. Seeing and being a part of 50 gyr/peregrines with some pure whites and almost pure blacks flying free and playing in the air is a sight that'll stick with you for life :good:

I am very good friends with a well known falcon breeder not far from me and I supply him steel shot birds. I have been to his hack site several times and yes its a nice thing to visit and watch. I never fly more than two hawks at a time when hunting as I find it a little unsporting. I fly two hawks with clients most of the time.

You say

" I must have flown close to 100 hawks and literally countless falcons"

Well thats good going as your profile say you are only 25 , I'm 60 and have been flying hawks since I was 15 and have not flown no where near that many hawks or falcons.

happy hunting

Edited by Actionpigeons

I am very good friends with a well known falcon breeder not far from me and I supply him steel shot birds. I have been to his hack site several times and yes its a nice thing to visit and watch. I never fly more than two hawks at a time when hunting as I find it a little unsporting. I fly two hawks with clients most of the time.

You say

" I must have flown close to 100 hawks and literally countless falcons"

Well thats good going as your profile say you are only 25 , I'm 60 and have been flying hawks since I was 15 and have not flown no where near that many hawks or falcons.

happy hunting

You have every right to doubt me, as you clearly do. But one of my closest friends has one of the largest breeding facilities in Europe with just over 300 falcons. Quite often birds are taken out of the breeding programmes for recreational hunting. Many of the birds are also hand - reared. I have also been fortunate enough to visit UAE several times where all of their birds are sold and used to hunt. I've worked on several different landfill sites on gull control, having new falcons every week - they are hunting birds and were cycled as needed. As well as that I have worked in numerous BOP centres, Woburn Safari Park, hunting days with members of the public and have gained experience from 4 different large scale breeders of predominantly gyr/peres but also 2 smaller breeders whose expertise lay in Finish Goshawks - one chap managed to get an almost pure white Gos.

It is quite a lot to have fitted into the 16 years that I have been flying birds of prey, the bulk of which is just the last 8 years, especially as the last 2 years I have been working for the family business, keeping birds of prey purely recreational as the public sucked the fun out of anything commercial. I've only flown 5 eagles though, 2 goldies, 2 steppe and a tawny.

A big % of the birds I've flown haven't belonged to me, but some have, and a large proportion have been trained by myself. Up on catching hacked birds, they are semi-wild and need handling with precision. I have good experience of that also, as well as solo releasing which is far from fun.

Do you use ferrets?

Personally, I hunt with birds because it is what they were designed to. Harris' pack hunt in the sandy deserts of the southern US and to recreate that in a green field in rainy england is a fantastic thing to do. My aim is to hunt, catch and kill the quarry with the bird of my choosing and to reward the bird as fully as possible.

Edited by deaquire

You have every right to doubt me, as you clearly do. But one of my closest friends has one of the largest breeding facilities in Europe with just over 300 falcons. Quite often birds are taken out of the breeding programmes for recreational hunting. Many of the birds are also hand - reared. I have also been fortunate enough to visit UAE several times where all of their birds are sold and used to hunt. I've worked on several different landfill sites on gull control, having new falcons every week - they are hunting birds and were cycled as needed. As well as that I have worked in numerous BOP centres, Woburn Safari Park, hunting days with members of the public and have gained experience from 4 different large scale breeders of predominantly gyr/peres but also 2 smaller breeders whose expertise lay in Finish Goshawks - one chap managed to get an almost pure white Gos.

It is quite a lot to have fitted into the 16 years that I have been flying birds of prey, the bulk of which is just the last 8 years, especially as the last 2 years I have been working for the family business, keeping birds of prey purely recreational as the public sucked the fun out of anything commercial. I've only flown 5 eagles though, 2 goldies, 2 steppe and a tawny.

A big % of the birds I've flown haven't belonged to me, nor have they been trained by me, but some have, and many have been flown regularly by myself. Up on catching hacked birds, they are semi-wild and I have good experience of that also.

Do you use ferrets?

Personally, I hunt with birds because it is what they were designed to. Harris' pack hunt in the sandy deserts of the southern US and to recreate that in a green field in rainy england is a fantastic thing to do. My aim is to hunt, catch and kill the quarry with the bird of my choosing and to reward the bird as fully as possible.

Never said I doubted you, just said good going at 25.

I class flying a Hawk/ Falcon, by picking up and starting if from scratch. Yes I have trained a good number of birds and always hunted them as that's all I'm interested in .

I do use ferrets and a springer with my Hawks, all good fun when it all comes together. I have a link on my page you can follow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone go over to Dubai with the birds then ?

My Uncle works out there in a big falcon breeding centre, David Le Mesurier if anyone know him ?

Only been over once to visit when I was about 13ish, wish I'd been more interested in hunting then

My friend takes nearly 100 hacked falcons every year, she loves it!