.303 for Stalking/Culling?

Frenchieboy

Nice one mate, would love to have go of your Lee Enfield when you are zeroing in :good:

I don't see a problem with that Paul, it's time we met up anyhow. It will be a few weeks till the paperwork is done (Variation) and I am ready to sight it in, we can get together then.

I need to speak to Lee re the .243 and a "Mentoring" letter if you are in contact with him mate!

Edited by Frenchieboy

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see a problem with that Paul, it's time we met up anyhow. It will be a few weeks till the paperwork is done (Variation) and I am ready to sight it in, we can get together then.

I need to speak to Lee re the .243 and a "Mentoring" letter if you are in contact with him mate!

I have text him now mate,

Excellent news Frenchie :good:

old thumpers are way more fun :yes:

U.

Now all I have to do is to decide on what scope to put on it! At the moment I am thinking of a Simmons Whitetail Classic 3.5-10X56 which I have located at a price that is affordable to me. (I have a particular liking for Simmons Scopes - The optics are nice and clear and have never had one let me down)

Well done Pete, I look forward to more news about the "new" beast!

Once I have "The Beast" and have it scoped up and zeroed I will almost certainly do a video of how it performs for me - And how it effects my shoulder without a moderator!

As already said, I am now a little like a 5 year old waiting for Christmas!

You will not regret for one minute having the no 4 lee enfield for deer . The .303 British is a classic cartridge and has more power than you will ever want for any deer ,boar or antelope in Europe .

I used one many ,many times years ago for all British deer species and killed every thing clean with it . When I first started stalking about 150 years ago the no 4 was the most popular rifle out there ,proberbly because there wasn't much else that was available . Being a traditionalist I envy you taking on one of the most iconic of all rifles . Have fun and dont be apprehensive at addressing those big lowland stags .Happy hunting .

Harnser.

[quote name="Frenchieboy" post="2332823" timestamp="1383338553

That load does sound interesting, roughly what sort of speed do you think you are getting out of it please?

I have to admit that I would be interested in seeing what a .303 with that sort of load does to a fox! A little bit of "Overkill" maybe? :blush::whistling::blush:

Frenchieboy,

A wise choice Sir I am looking forward to your usual write up and video of your new toy in the near future.

As to the speed I have no idea but probably about the 2400 fps as suggested. The 150 grain soft point at about 90 yards flat on chest shot at a fox was a through and through the inside was mush

Edited by shotgun sam

enjoy spent three years as a barmy cadet shooting smle .303 the dogs danglys of bolt action .kicks like a mule and far more accurate than my eyesight goes to .their deffo comfortable and as harnser said theyl clean kill anything AOLQ covers do u have bears and elephants up your way :lol:

enjoy spent three years as a barmy cadet shooting smle .303 the dogs danglys of bolt action .kicks like a mule and far more accurate than my eyesight goes to .their deffo comfortable and as harnser said theyl clean kill anything AOLQ covers do u have bears and elephants up your way :lol:

If I do see any of them on the loose up here I can assure you I will not be shooting at them, :no: I will be shooting off away from them at a pretty fast pace! :blush::whistling::blush:

Saying that though springs to mind something that the wife said a couple of years ago - She noticed on a box of.243 ammunition (I think it might have been Remington) that it said that they were suitable for Brown Bears and asked me how I would shoot it if I came across one while out after foxes - My reply was "Very carefully and from as far away as possible"! :lol::lol::lol: