Making all air rifles FAC or similar licensing system

naddan28

Would you approve a FAC or Similar System for all Air Rifles?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you approve a FAC or Similar System for all Air Rifles?

• Yes
    • No

In theory some sort of registration for air rifles would be a good idea where the cops are able to keep track of all the airrifles and who owns them but i cant see it working tbh with the amount out there if someone wants to get hold of one they'll have no problem so licencing them will only make it harder for genuine people to get them

If it was me id shoot the guy with the air rifle like he did to your won like for like i'd say he'd think again before he did that and likewise for everything else that goes on

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Appeasement of the antis is the policy we have trod for years and has led us to the point where we are today. Put simply you can not EVER appease the antis. They are not anti unlicensed guns they are anti ALL guns and will not stop until their goal is met. It dismays me to hear shooters talk of appeasement in the hope it will either cut down crime (it won't) or stop calls for more restrictions (it won't). Each tightening of gun law has led to an increase in gun crime. All the new laws do is affect the law abiding. Those who will misuse guns now will do so in light of further laws too. What is missing is the fear of being caught and the fear of harsh punishment in the unlikely event of being collared. Airgun crime is actually decreasing (home office figures).

Also do not forget that we have an excellent choice of British made airguns precisely because they are not licenced. Involve a FAC in every sale and it's doubtful whether 1 manufacturer would survive the loss of sales. Simply put it would be the death knell for all manufacturers.

It would be to hard to get everyone who owns a rifle to get a cert. There are too many out there and a vast majority are not registered to their owners when bought (esp when bought 2nd hand). Besides using a cert system would only deter honest people from getting interested in the sport.

It would be to hard to get everyone who owns a rifle to get a cert. There are too many out there and a vast majority are not registered to their owners when bought (esp when bought 2nd hand). Besides using a cert system would only deter honest people from getting interested in the sport.

What happened when shotguns were put on cert? it is exactly the same situation as now.

Secondly if getting a cert puts people off then perhaps they were not interested enough in the first place!

Anyway all the old rifles that are out there, as proved by the number of 20 yr old.... rifle i have that i am now refurbishing.... all require parts to be put into a decent working order which would require the licence so either way the number of old rifles would in curculation amongst those without licences would dwindle as the parts would be unobtainable.

how do you go about registering a air rifle to the owner especially a second hand one ? i would like to do that. sopose it helps if it was recovered if stolen.

well tbh i voted yes, restictions on the sale of guns will prevent any tom **** and harry buying an air rifle other than the people interested in the sport,

most of the idiots that go and buy that £30 chinese piece of rubish of the sunday market do buy it so they can and do some serious shooting , they buy it to show off to there m8's and shoot anything anywhere - thats when the bad press come in

you go onto u tube and look at the air rifle videos on there, i have seen kids shooting eack other, shooting arosol cans and just being plane stupid take a look at some of the videos below

idiots on film 2

idiots on film 3

idiots on film 4

this is why there are so many antis and this is why i feel that the guns should be lisenced - i use my rifle fo the purpouse it was made for and not for carrying out idiotic stunts and shooting people

Have you any idea how much work would be involved in licensing every airgun in the land.

And do you know that this work would actually overload the firearms dept’s of every police force in the country.

And IF they DID try and licence every airgun in the country, do you know how much EXTRA this would cost, and how they would go about recovering that cost.

Yep, you guessed it, they would put the price of a license up to @ £250 and WE, the decent law abiding shooters, would be the ones who would pay it because the chavs would simply chuck their air rifles under the bed and take no notice.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions and the only way to make the law work is to impose the proper sentencing. The law states that anyone caught with an unlicensed gun should get a substantial prison sentence, but when criminals ARE caught they are only given a pitiful jail term.

Or in the case of a certain firearms officer, who was caught in a nightclub with an unlicensed Brocock revolver, a simple warning……..and then let off. :blink:

G.M.

This thread caught my eye as a friend over Xmas wanted to buy his lad a S/H air rifle.

We were discussing the options and something was mentioned about the Violent Crime Bill. I checked it out on the Internet and this will make it illegal for anyone to sell an air weapon unless they are an RFD and a register of sales will need to be kept although individual sales will not be notified to the Police as with firearms.

Does this mean that any day now we cannot buy and sell air guns unless through an RFD?

well tbh i voted yes, restictions on the sale of guns will prevent any tom **** and harry buying an air rifle other than the people interested in the sport,

most of the idiots that go and buy that £30 chinese piece of rubish of the sunday market do buy it so they can and do some serious shooting , they buy it to show off to there m8's and shoot anything anywhere - thats when the bad press come in

you go onto u tube and look at the air rifle videos on there, i have seen kids shooting eack other, shooting arosol cans and just being plane stupid take a look at some of the videos below

idiots on film 2

idiots on film 3

idiots on film 4

this is why there are so many antis and this is why i feel that the guns should be lisenced - i use my rifle fo the purpouse it was made for and not for carrying out idiotic stunts and shooting people

I use aerosol cans as targets. Its great. On a still day, put one out at about 50 yards so just the silver bottom is showing and have a lit candle next to it. Its a pretty class reacting target. I voted no on this thing, why should I, the law abiding citizen have to register my gun because people are just plain dumb? And what matey said about people not being able to tell the difference between airguns and real guns, I showed my mate my BSA Supersport and he asked if it was real. You can tell a mile off its not, theres no bolt, mag, ejector port, etc. People need to be educated about guns and know how dangerous they are, and we need harsher punishments for people who decide to **** around with any form of gun.

Vulcha, I have no idea of your age but I am guessing that you are in the same age group as the children in the video clips. When you grow up a bit you will realise that the sort of thing that they filmed, and that includes the can shooting incident is a case of immature gun handling.

It might go on, and yes I have done that sort of thing in the past but it should not be broadcast on here should it? It is immature and gowing up should see you leaving itbehind.

What are you talking about? I haven't watched those videos, so I don't know how old the people in them are, but I'm 18, and whats wrong with whacking an aerosol can in the ground 50 yards out and shooting it? Its not like I do it in the street or anything. I wouldn't says it immature or irresponsible, its just a bit of fun, and so far nobody has died or gotten injured, so I'd also say its fairly safe. Its just the same as plinking at cans filled with water or whatever, just it reacts a bit different when it gets hit.

It may well be safe, but anyone listening to you, or worse actually watching you, will simply take on the opinion that you are acting in a daft and irresponsible manner.

It isn’t what you or I think is safe, it’s what the general uninitiated public perceive to be safe that counts.

G.M.

I take it you've made the assumption I do this in my back garden, well, I don't. Where I shoot me and my mate built a little zeroing range and we just plink away there if nothings about. I doubt anybody would see us anyway, except the farmer and his family.

I know it is not now the 'done thing' to expect to have 'fun' with guns but I am afraid you can and lots of us do irrespective of our ages. I am at the other end of the spectrum from Vulcha and I still enjoy a little plinking but there again I was allowed to play Cowboys and Indians as a child with very life like 100 shot Peacemakers, so I do have a very good excuse.

I'm am afraid this Nanny State is becoming less and less attractive to young and old alike so I suppose whatever you do Vulcha just don't tell anyone about it publicly on a forum.

I have my head well down for the incomming.................

I'm am afraid this Nanny State is becoming less and less attractive to young and old alike so I suppose whatever you do Vulcha just don't tell anyone about it publicly on a forum.

If we are honest we are all guilty of this to a greater or lesser extent, but as you said don't preach it!

Vulcha, keep on doing what you are doing whilst you can because it's idiots like you that will kill this sport.

As much as I know I should not say this on the forum but Vulcha is neither an idiot or one who will 'kill' the sport. Quite the reverse in fact. I genuinely believe we are all far too concerned with the wellbeing of the so call Anti brigade and far too little concerned with simply enjoying our sport/hobby in whatever way we choose.

The first time I applied for a centrefire revolver, the reason I gave was 100% truthful - For plinking from the bedroom window - They never put that on my FAC, but I did get my handgun.

Oh, how things have changed. :lol:

I genuinely believe we are all far too concerned with the wellbeing of the so call Anti brigade and far too little concerned with simply enjoying our sport/hobby in whatever way we choose.

got to agree with mry on this. theres nothing wrong with having fun with your guns. safe and legal. is all we should be bothered about.

if some nosey ****er wants to stand at a distance watching me zeroing/plinking.then let em.

I genuinely believe we are all far too concerned with the wellbeing of the so call Anti brigade and far too little concerned with simply enjoying our sport/hobby in whatever way we choose.

got to agree with mry on this. theres nothing wrong with having fun with your guns. safe and legal. is all we should be bothered about.

if some nosey ****er wants to stand at a distance watching me zeroing/plinking.then let em.

You are right Mark.

Too much do we worry over what others think or believe. By all means educate, encourage, and where necessary correct others but at the end of the day shoot your gun regardless of others oppinions. Pining to those who dissaprove is pointless. It isn't your actions they dissaprove of but your gun itself. They are pro nothing and anti gun so can not be turned from the dark side. So long as your actions are legal and safe then stuff the opinions of others up their collective backsides.

I remember well one anti upset at me bagging a dozen pigeons with both barrels of the twelve bore as they were on the ground and feeding on the newly planted crops. I was polite but politely told him to eff off and mind his own business. I could have wasted hours arguing with him but I wouldn't have changed his opinion one iota so why bother. He left as upset as he arrived which would have been exactly the same as if I'd wasted my day pointing out the benefits my activities bring to him in cheaper food with less vermin infection.

at the end of the day an air rifle is a dangerous weapon and should be treated with respect, shooting at arosol cans is plain idiotic - so what if you are in the middle of a field what if the wind carries the pellet of target and penatrates the can in the places - it then takes of like a guided misile healding towards you or someone else then explodes and someone is injured :lol:???

is it just fun then ?

I am not anti gun or anti hunting just anti idiot

at the end of the day an air rifle is a dangerous weapon and should be treated with respect, shooting at arosol cans is plain idiotic - so what if you are in the middle of a field what if the wind carries the pellet of target and penatrates the can in the places - it then takes of like a guided misile healding towards you or someone else then explodes and someone is injured :lol:???

is it just fun then ?

I am not anti gun or anti hunting just anti idiot

guided misile healding towards you

one to many sci fi films i think.