Making all air rifles FAC or similar licensing system

naddan28

Would you approve a FAC or Similar System for all Air Rifles?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you approve a FAC or Similar System for all Air Rifles?

• Yes
    • No

I was thinking today after hearing another radio 1 news story about some moron teen who had shot a girl with an air rifle in the face and obviously their was a strong undertone of hatred toward air rifle users.

I thought that perhaps all air rifle's should be made FAC or some similar licencing system? I reckon that they should split the rifles into 2 groups 20ft/lbs and below, then another for above 20ft/lbs.

The first group should get a £30 open ticket (Driving Licence Style) to keep as many rifles within the 20 ft/lbs and below category however would need to present the licence when purchasing rifles or accessories and also have the licence to hand when out shooting. Then a further £2 a rifle would be charged to get a car style log book for every rifle which would register each rifle to an individual owner ensuring that the rifle was legitmately acquired by the owner. The cert for each rifle would also state its purpose so that it is clear where and why the rifle is used. This way people could be vetted a bit more to ensure they were responsible enough to own a rifle and secondly it would discourage people from being moron's with such rifles as they could not just go on a whim and purchase one or even hold one without the appropaite licence and owners cert. Also it would enable serious shooters an extra 8ft/lbs to without the need for a full blown FAC.

Finally the 20ft/lbs and above category would be avaliable with the usual FAC standards. These would also have the same style photo idea driving licence but in order to gain the FAC perhaps make a compulsory target shoot test to ensure an individual is of a required skill and knowledge level?

I just think it would be a good idea to discourage the majority of the problems with moron chavs shooting pets and children and enable the majority of us responsible shooters an easier time with both the public and acquiring permissions.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive got to agree with naddan on this. I just think that there are more and more people injured with airguns nowadays and i was actually reading an article today about a lot of swans being shot and killed with airguns. I Also think that with some sort of licence it would be harder for ''moron chavs'' (lol) to get hold of them. 20ft/lbs would be nice and although i think that 12ft/lb is more than adequate of gettin instant kills within the limits, i think the extra power would definately help. Getting hold of the licence should mean having compulsory background checks to see if you have been in trouble with the law and depending on what it was would decide whether or not you were allowed to obtain the licence.

P.S i don't want to start a debate off here, i just wanted to point out my views and i am entirely aware that everyone has their own views about this subject

Over and out :/

I Also think that with some sort of licence it would be harder for ''moron chavs'' (lol) to get hold of them

it wont though, how many air rifles do you think are out there now.

how would you get these guns registered. crims and dorks dont give a flying * for the laws.

ok, i'l take that back, i put that without thinking through, i suppose even with heightened gun law it would still be easy to get hold of one

:/ Maybe just try punshing the w*****s that play up, now there's a thought :o

Agreed but firstly they dont know always who the culprite and secondly anything that makes it that bit more difficult is good in my book. I normally dont agree with over legislating areas but when people are morons with dangerous weapons then yes i believe it is good. Also do you really believe those idiots that get bored and decide to shoot at passing cars or domestic pets would have an air rifle if they had to firstly pay £30 for a licence and secondly go through the hassle of applying for and recieving such a licence? I reckon the majority of the idiots would probably not bother with the "hassle" or secondly have some form of previous conviction that would prevent them getting the licence in the first place. I know this law already existing but its not really enforced is it, after all the if i mail ordered or even purchased one in a shop their would be no way of checking my crinimal record to ensure its enforced.

as old old saying goes............it's people that shoot people not guns............it is the sad state of the soceity that breeds the idiots who commit these atrocities..........the government need to take a good hard luck at itself and stop penalising the decent folk amongst us..............but this has been said times many.....and the saga continues still :o :/

Our teenage pregnancy rate is 7 times higher than any other European country…..why, because when some foul-mouthed tart gets stuck up the duff, this stupid government gives them more money and a council house to live in…..rent free. :o

Now with that kind of mentality running the country it’s hardly surprising that the same chavs that get pregnant, are shacking up with the same twonks that are using these air rifles to shoot people with. :/

They already have no understanding about civility or manners, so why the hell would they bother to get a licence to own an airgun. Let’s face it, they can’t even be bothered to get a driving licence, but that doesn’t stop them from driving around in an untaxed, uninsured, non-MOT’d banger does it. :o

G.M.

I'll add to the fire.

No way should airguns be licenced other than the current laws that are in place. My thought is that there has been no decrease in Gun incidents because of any new laws, which has been widely publized to the fact.However, out of the the additional restrictions being levied on the Shotgun/Rifle community all the incidents are happening with Airguns.

So what is this kneejerk country going to do next if they licence airifles?

Licence

Slingshots

Pea shooters

Spud guns

Water pistols

Oh yes not to forget Party poppers at christmas time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I voted yes but there would have to be certain stipulations.

I would want to see cast iron promises (yeah right :/ ) that anyone caught not playing by the rules would be properly punished. I would want to see education for those wanting to start shooting, in what guise I am not sure but I am sure someone would have a decent idea.

If having a proper permit would take the heat off legitimate shooters then it is a good thing. If it all ends up in a mess of red tape then it will have failed. Given the climate today I would not put my hopes up to high.

This issue was raised earlier last year and certainly managed to air opinions.

I dont see why any law obiding citizen would complain about having to license an airgun. However, a law abiding citizen isnt going to commit an offense with an airgun.

The sad fact of the matter is this: Until the Police enforce the law to its full potential on situations concerning the inproper use of airguns, nothing will change. Introducing a license, whilst I agree would help in the long run, will not make the slightest bit of difference to those that commit offenses. It will however, reduce the opportunist crime.

In one respect the OLD airguns may dwindle if said licence comes into force.

IF you need the licence for Accesories and the gun PARTS fall into this catagory then when these B2s and the likes break down they won't be able to obtain the replacement parts without the licence therefor making the chav guns incapable of working.

I also agree there needs to be MORE done by the CPS and the Police to curb the growing trend of Yardie shootings and if it takes a minimum of 5 years then so be it they need to send out the right signals to deter the young ones from using airguns in the wrong manner.

I agree some form of background check SHOULD even be part of obtaining an Air Rifle (mental health / history of violent crime / history of drug abuse etc etc)

The way i see it is all the LEGAL owners of Air rifles are disgusted and appauled by the recent trend in the use of the guns and their media coverage but MOST are dead set AGAINST a licence i don't see what the problem is.

If Airgun users step forward and ask for some form of regulation (licencing - registration of airguns or background checks for owners) to be put in place to try and prevent further misuse of Airguns at least we will be SEEN as a responsible group trying to make a difference.

If things carry on the way they are going i can see it going on of TWO ways! Either another Handgun type ban comming into force (blanket ban) just so the government can cover their lame ***** and look to be actually doing something.

OR a similar system to what happened when they made the self contained guns like Brocock and saxby palmer pistols illegal to own (TAC) i beleive? and you had to REGISTER and existing guns of this type you owned.

Personally i would prefer to see the SECOND than the first. It's just a shame it's again the minority spoiling it for the majority :/

LG

I would want to see education for those wanting to start shooting, in what guise I am not sure but I am sure someone would have a decent idea.

If having a proper permit would take the heat off legitimate shooters then it is a good thing.

:/ I believe when I first joined I said something along similar lines. I am all for the education and licensing of Air rifles FAC or otherwise if it meant that idiotic people couldn't bring this sport of ours into disrepute.

Cheers

SS :o

Some very interesting and good points raised here I think. I'm still undecided...I mean I wouldn't have a problem with a licencing system for them, but I think maybe its a bit too far. Back to the original point, I think guns in general will always have bad publicity for a few reasons...

-They're always being used in action movies

-They always have bad press

-They get used in crimes and so on

-The fact the purpose of a gun is to kill

-People are stupid and don't know the difference between an airgun and a real gun

-People don't get exposed (in the city/towns) to airguns so don't know anything about them and people are scared of what they don't know.

I am not intending on starting any arguments, im just putting forwards a simple point of view lol. A licencing system can certainly work, but I think for the sake of an airgun its maybe a little too far. The best we can do is set and lead a good example and make sure our guns are used and not abused :/ , but at the same time not restrict our right and freedom to use airguns responsibly.

-Andrew :o

Voted No.

This one is back to personal choice, intelligence and responsibility.

The thing is the persons, usually, involved in airgun crimes aren't intelligent or responsible. Education could help, but if you asked police to identify an air rifle among rifles or shotguns alot would struggle. So what chance do we have?

A shotgun type ticket would be the way forward for me. No requirement for cleared land or purpose of use.

As for the amount of air guns around, where's the argument? How many shotguns are there in the uk? Legal and otherwise. You can buy a shot gun for £50, legally.

A total ban will not happen, no matter how many distraught parents jump up and down.

Ian.

What you are doing by requesting a licence system is playing into the arms of the anti organisations and politicians. Your saying:

There is a problem with gun ownership

Gun owners cannot be trusted

These are dangerous weapons

They're used irresponsibly.

Licensing is merely the first nail in the coffin or airgun ownership.

What you should be doing is pressing the law to exercise it's power to prosecute and voting out a government that stands for the said idiots chav scum.