Parker Hale (Ugartechea) SxS query.

John_R

I just picked up an old SxS as per title. A boxlock DTE, absolutely mint, the guy who bought it originally said he never put more than a few boxes of carts through it and I can believe it. I even got the original Parker Hale branded gun slip, and a cleaning kit branded "Norfolk 2" by Lightwood Fieldsports of Banbury.

The action is still stiff to open, so I have cleaned and lubed it all, and will get it out and shoot ASAP to help settle it in.

My query is how to date the gun, and maybe find whatever model nomenclature PH might have given it back in the day.

I have searched the threads as best I can, and Googled some but not getting anything relevant. I do see Ugartechea sell it as a Mod 40 now.

Would anyone here know how to find this information?

Cheers!

John

( PS: Lightwood Fieldsports operated from 1977 to 1983 )

Edited by john_r

There is a fairly poorly stamped B2 where you suggest to look. 1982 then if I have got that right.

As for the Ugartechea query, there is a mark on the flat of the left barrel, just above the proof marks, which I was told was Ugartechea.

Also, it was known that they made guns for PH to resell. It really does look just like the guns on the Ugartechea site.

There is a fairly poorly stamped B2 where you suggest to look. 1982 then if I have got that right.

As for the Ugartechea query, there is a mark on the flat of the left barrel, just above the proof marks, which I was told was Ugartechea.

Also, it was known that they made guns for PH to resell. It really does look just like the guns on the Ugartechea site.

Yes B*2 is 1982 and you are correct in saying Ugartechea used Parker Hale to market their guns in the UK. Its difficult to see from your photo if the mark is that of Ugartechea but I guess it is because very few other makers used an emblem rather than just letters. Ugartechea where one of the few Spanish makers that didn't join the ill-fated Diarm group that took almost an entire industry under in 1985.

Once again thanks for the input to this enquiry. I took it round the sporting layout at Bisley this week, should have shot better but the gun behaved just like new.

I was caught out by the auto safety a couple of times, will probably deal with that later. I also need to get used to the double triggers!